Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 02:18:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pex piping  (Read 4702 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »

On my keyboard, the "P" is no where near the "S".  There had to be something besides plumbing going on id Desi's brain.

Hey Len,
   On my computer, the d is not near n?    LOL  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »

sorry the wife is ovulating and i had other things on my mind....... it was supposed to say pex....

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »

I think if you are "doing it all over the house" maybe you should not use the sharkbite fittings.  I'm not sure which fittings you will need, some of them probably won't even be in the plumbing section, but sharkbite doesn't sound like a good idea. Wink

cody

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Grin Grin Grin
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »

I used Pex pipe for everything in the bus 2 sinks, toilet, water heater, etc...  I bought the crimping tool beacuse I have used pex for floor heat applications, wood boilers etc...  I agree with the "shark byte " fittings  they are the slickest thing especially in tight spots,  the crimping tool is cumbersome at best.

Pex will freeze and crack in extreme cold, but will be still solid and leak proof and usable when thawed when the copper bursts and be not useful at all. Good choice IMHO

" all over the house eh! Desi SmileySmiley 

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »

ALL OVER THE HOUSE

Ahhh the memories.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

I forgot
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »

I have had troubles installing PEX water lines....I have the crimp tool but still have leaks? what is the proper method of making joints??Maybe Shark bite is the answer? can you over crimp the fittings?  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:08 AM »

Bob, the crimping tool should have a gauge that comes with it to set the crimp depth,I have used the crimp style for years and never had one leak fwiw they make a tool to remove the crimps handy to to have when you do screw up,they also have a crimping tool for those tight places.
Shark fitting are OK but with the AZ heat sometimes they turn loose that has been my experience with the Shark fittings.
I use the Zurn copper fitting along with the Zurn crimping tool stay away from the Pex crimp style plastic fittings

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:52 AM »

I used the plastic fittings the HD guy recommended...will try other way.copper or brass..should have ask here first...Thank you..at the point of running lines in rebuild project...Bob

zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »

Bob you may need to tune your crimping tool.  I have used pex a lot and never had a single leak.   I used to use the GO/NO GO gage, but don't bother any more.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »

When I first built my truck conversion many years ago, I used Qest connectors.  These are installed without tool and use a compression type clamping system.  Very easy to install and also easy to repair a line if needed since they did not require a tool.

It worked great, so I used them on the bus conversion.  Over all the years, I don't recall having a leak.

I did a search, and it looks like those fittings are now Zurn Qicktite.  Used to be able to get the Qest fittings at Home Depot, but I have not seen them recently. 

You can see what I am talking about at:  http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/80390/icn/20-362145/zurn/qbbfncr3n.htm

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »

Bob
  I have a pex crimp tool if you want to borrow it .call
  Dwayne
 I'm working on my splys. now!!!!! bout time yathink!!!!!!!!
  I have an extra tool
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

Dwayne will do...we survived Frogs!

DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »

Pex/sex is great stuff. If you are using a proper ($50-80) tool when you reach the end of the squeeze its crimped. You do have to make sure there are no obstructions to the squeeze. Pex is not for everything. It is freeze resistant not proof. 100' rolls cost around 48. here and the fittings ae pricey and you always need more and have a pile of ones you dont need. One thing to be aware of is rodents, they will chew holes to get to the water especially if you put out rat poisen. Something to be aware of in summer homes.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: