Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:16:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great mechanic in Albuquerque  (Read 676 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »

I wanted to share my experience with a mechanic in Albuquerque.

I have been sitting in Albuquerque since last Tuesday for a generator repair. Waiting on parts right now that were supposed to be in next day air last Friday. Hopefully we will be getting back on the road by noon today, UPS says they will deliver by 10:30 am. Anyway, since we were stuck here i had a DD mechanic come and look at the bus to give me a price to r&r the blower. He spent some time checking over some things and confirmed that the leak was in fact coming from the blower mounting gasket and the governor housing was also loose. He spent about an hour going over various things and tightening up a bunch of bolts here and there. we will see if it did any good once we get under way again. I had to move across town from where i was to an rv park and i did notice that the standard puddle of oil was much much less when i parked it. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. we shall see. keeping my fingers crossed. All the blower bolts and the governor bolts he was able to get a full turn out of them without over torquing them. And here come the good part, after spending an hour going over bolts and what not, he says "have a good day, see ya!" yup, didn't charge me a dime. And he drove across town to get to me while he was in the middle of a job. Great guy.  He could easily have charged me for the trip and the time.  He could have also just said "yup, you need to rebuild the blower"  but he said the bolts were loose enough that it could considerably slow down the oil leak.  He didn't want me to have to pay lots of money if just tightening stuff up was all that was needed. If anyone is in the Albuquerque area and finds themself in need of a DD mechanic, call Diesel Services and ask for Mike Apodaca. 505-315-5214.

Is there a list on here somewhere of mechanics by city or state?  if not maybe we could start a list of prefered mechanics based on peoples good experiences with them?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

The worst oil leak I ever had was from the oil vapor line attachment flange at the governor and it was just slightly loose.

This line takes oil vapor from the crankcase to lube the governor and is under pressure.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »

The worst oil leak I ever had was from the oil vapor line attachment flange at the governor and it was just slightly loose.

This line takes oil vapor from the crankcase to lube the governor and is under pressure.

can you explain where that would be?  i am still leaking oil like a siv.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: