Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help  (Read 3626 times)
rip

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »

Finally, back on the road again.First off thanks for all the help and concerns.I did have the bus towed and was covered by insurance.The owner of Stecussy Diesel,Mike is a great guy and let us stay in the bus while work was being done.They do not do a lot of two stroke's,but they do have a two mechanics hat have some experience.When it came to setting the rack,Mikes dad came in to do that.He taught diesel mechanics for 32 years and nailed the tune up.We left Thursday and made it to Coeur d' Alene Id. and the engine is running great so far.
       I went to Truck Service to pick up a new head and met the owner Curt Vetsch.He has 25 years of working on two stroke's and really knows his stuff.He suggested installing new rod and main bearings which he had in stock. If anyone is looking for parts,rebuilt engines or advise,I would call this guy.
        Don
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »

Do you mind if I ask what the $$$$damage was? Did you end up replacing the bearings or just a new head?
 Not having any trouble with my 4104 just curious what something like this would   (should?)  run if it was to happen. (realizing the final dollar cost could vary wildly depending on the damage and the repair shop).

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
rip

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »

Here is a what I had done.Rebuilt head,new bearings,exhaust manifolds machined,two crossover pipes and gaskets. 40 hours labor and parts,$4,700.I fulltime and no plans on selling my Prevost,so the cost is just part of fulltiming.
   Don
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 08:26:02 AM »

based on some of the things i've had done, including installing jakes, that sounds like you were really treated well.  i'd put those garages on my map with stars next to their names. ;-)

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »

You were treated good on the head if buying a new head from DD they are over 3 grand for the bare head no valves or spring.I am still trying to figure out the stud ?

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »

Don-Good going! You found out that the cost of the tow is much less then trying to limp home and goof up more in the engine.  You got off relatively easy and pretty cheap compared to if you had spun a bearing, or thrown a rod.  Take care and good running!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »

Don, Thanks for posting your costs and experience with the repair shop...The internet can be a powerful tool when selecting a shop to do work for us.. I could see the need for a whole new forum on the going- to-happen away from home breakdowns, the repairs, what we were charged and just how we felt when the wallet was put away and we are driving away from the repair shop..
 It would help but I guess we usually at the nearest shops mercy depending on where you are when you have problems.
Rick
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:50:51 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:29 AM »

For you guys that don't know you spin a main bearing in a 8v92 it will put you in the 12,000 + buck repair range in a hurry

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rip

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »

You are right.That is exactly what Curt said,he called it cheap insurance.Im glad I met him. He also has a fresh 8v92 rebuilt if anyone is looking.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »

Are you talking about Curt from central truck service in east bethel? if so thats the guy I recommended you have work on it.
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
rip

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »

Yes that's him.If I need any work done he would be my choice.I was very impressed with his knowledge and willingness to help. His shop rate of $75.00 hr. is not bad either.
  Don
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 06:06:24 AM »

Curt is a really honest, hard working and skilled 2 stroke mechanic, grew up working on the tractors on the family farm.
I spoke to him Friday and he told me he was building a slide in 8v92 made specifically for an mci. The right bellhousing, motor mounts and pulleys are hard to switch out and find. I didn't know his last name. I am glad that he did your work.
You passed on the main and rod bearings are you certain that no coolant got into them? Clifford was right on with his estimate of 12-15k if you spin a bearing.
Good luck and safe travels
Rick

rip

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:11 AM »

You may have missed one of my prior post stating I did replace the bearings.He said the material the bearings are made of are very susceptible to antifreeze.He told me a story of only one time he could not convince a customer to rep;ace the bearings and three weeks later the called him and had spun the mains.Bottom line,if Curt says something needs to be replaced I would do it.
   Don
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »

"Bottom line,if Curt says something needs to be replaced I would do it"

Amen to that Don...

So glad he was able to help you. Pretty cool shop huh? Those guys he has working for him are top notch.

C and J wouldn't send their turbo's, heads and cranks to him for r&r if he wasn't good. He was so bummed for me when the 8V92 I bought to put in my bus turned out to be a goner. He actually bought it from me and plans to build it for a trucker who needs one.

That is one piece of advice I wouldn't hesitate to give folks here on the board. Truck motors take alot of unforseen modifications to be ready for a bus application. Wanna new motor for your bus? Buy or rebuild a bus motor unless you are a fabrication genius. Motor mounts, oil coolers, geared camshafts for a rear alternator, bell housings, flex plates. The list goes on and on.

I guess it would work if you owned a bus junkyard and you could just scavenge the parts but I don't think any of us have a bus junkyard.

Although a couple of folks on the board have 3-4 of the beasts. and then there's BK
 Grin Grin

Rick

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: