Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 07:17:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for ideas on ceiling material.  (Read 4026 times)
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »

I am in the process of tearing out all the old insulation in my mc9.  While I am doing this I have been pondering the different materials that could be used for the new ceiling.  Right now I am leaning towards beaded pine, or something similar, maybe maple. What have others used?  What would you do different?

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:59:10 AM »

I decided on 24x24 tin panels and love the look. I also have 30 sheets of maple door panels that were also in the running and would fit the curve without a seam.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »

Cliff found some neat panels that I am hoping to use when I get that far. He sent me a sample. Maybe he can chime in.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:58 AM »

1/4 inch luan works well. urethane will make the grain jump out. that, and an acrylic mirror or two on the ceiling to enhance the height.
worked for me. Grin

txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:56 AM »

Here is what I did on mine. T&G pine from Lowes. Easy to install.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=16659.0

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »

Mike go to page 18 of this all topics forum to west Tennessee busnut gathering at bk's--when there go to page 15 of that thread toward bottom there is some pictures of my interior showing ceiling using vinyl and vinyl mirror stock..if your interestred in this look I'll let you know how I did it...vinyl mirror stock less than 100$ 4by8 sheet....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »

Here is a link to the post/photo that Bob is referring to:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12698.msg142681#msg142681

Looks great Bob!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »

Mike,

Check this previous thread out- http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6976.0

Has some good info and questions on what I used plus other good suggestions.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »

how about wainscoting? we had it in a boat once, with  finish screws exposed so you could access later. Boy that was handy.....s.....

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »

Here is a picture of the tiles as we are laying them down. All stainless steel screws so damage is easy to replace.

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »

I read somewhere about someone taking cardboard and fiberglassing it for the ceiling....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »

Wow Guy's, so many very good ideas and links, thanks a bunch! I guess its a matter of figuring out what is right for us, I am thinking of combining a couple of different ideas.  I like Cliff's panels, but also like the idea of wood on the ceiling, so maybe combining the two would be cool.  I also like the idea of using mirrors to add a feeling of spaciousness, I don't really like all the bling they are putting into the high dollar coaches, but I think a few well placed mirrors could really add a lot.  Thanks everyone for your ideas, much to think about.  I cant wait to get the insulation done and start the fun stuff.  I like cliffs approach of a rail car theme, I was actually thinking of the same thing, but my ceiling is not raised and I think because of that I should stick to light colors and light colored wood. 

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »

Although Cliff's has character, looks great and goes with his theme, usually I think dark ceilings make a room seem smaller and clausterphobic and dreary...... If you go with something dark, be very careful.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:44 PM »

My ceiling is 1/8" plywood to conform to the curved roof line.  Where the 1x2's are underneath, I used 2" wide oak strips running lengthwise to help hold up the ceiling.  Then simply painted the ceiling gloss white.  Simple-after all, how many have mirrors, stamped tin, tuck and roll, tiles, etc on their ceilings at home?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:18:35 AM »

This is what we used on the curve of the ceiling, the 4' center section is white tile board. It gave a good contrast. The tin look comes in 24" wide rolls, 25' long. We then used some plastic tin looking panels for the kitchen backsplash, those came from HD. Lowes has the same thing in many different colors.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: