Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 10:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anybody ever been turned away from an rv park because of your bus?  (Read 4140 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »

Dear friends,

I know a lot of our converted school bus brethren have been turned away from RV parks because they have a bus. Maybe they looked like the ones in these pictures! Grin

Have any of you had a problem being rejected with a converted coach, assuming it had a tolerable paint job and condition?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:39:17 PM by XE1UFO » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »

haven't yet...this economy I believe they want all the $ they can get---exact opposite..they have made place for me when they are turning away sticks and staples..3 times so far.and on holiday weekends...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

I had a state ran campground that caused me some grief because of the length. I found it ironic that many of the 5th wheel campers with their 4 door cabbed pickups were longer! It wasn't that I couldn't camp there but that I had the drivers in the grass.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »

State campgrounds seem to often have a limit of 35 feet on the camper unit, regardless of tow vehicle or whatever.  I've been in State parks were the big fifth wheels have to unhitch or they hang out, others where you could have 100' and not have a problem - but still a 35 ft limit.  One reason I wanted a 35 ft bus, as it happens.  But to the question, I have never once had anyone even mention the fact that I had a bus to me, total non event.  Mind you I never tried to get into one of those high end resorts either.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »

I suspect that their decision might be based on what the bus looks like.  The two pictures in the first post, would probably result in a no registration situation Grin Grin

This subject has come up several times.  One thread talked about some campgrounds requiring an RVIA plaque. 

We do not go to that many campgrounds, but we have not been turned away, and our bus is not fancy or finished.  As folks said, they are probably happy to take anyone's money in this economy.

Having said that, we do try to avoid campgrounds with "resort" in the name Cheesy

The one time we were ALMOST turned away is a situation that Pat and I often laugh about.  It was at an FMCA International rally in Ogden in the late '90s.  I was building a truck based motorhome.  It was a "toterhome" type with a deck on the back.  When we showed up (with our FMCA "egg" clearly displayed and our paper work in the window), a couple of men quickly approached us and in a very unfriendly tone told us that the deliveries were at another gate!!

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

I know I have seen many bus conversions at Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach SC. Can't ever recall seeing any schoolies though but I haven't really looked for them. It is the largest campground on the east coast and one of the largest campgrounds in the country. It's called a Campground but you will definately call it a Resort once you enter. They were voted 2008-2008 National RV Park Of The Year. Seeing a bus conversion there is what got me interested in buses in the first place. I've seen everything from Bluebirds and Fishbowls up to GM's Eagles, MCI's, and Prevost there at one time or another.

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »

I havent been denied anywhere and my bus still looks VERY much like a bus, all in it's original paint with original doors etc. I havent done anything to the outside yet other then to buy new tires and bungie cord my bay doors when the stock hinges failed.

Of course, who in their right mind would kick out an RTS? It's just the most beautiful bus ever designed   Wink Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:30:46 PM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
cody

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »

Bungee cords are the greatest invention since lag bolts. lol Roll Eyes
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »

This subject has come up several times.  One thread talked about some campgrounds requiring an RVIA plaque.

Yeah, I read one of those posts, and am now looking for an RVIA plaque off a junkyard RV! Grin Wink

I am also thinking of putting a sign on the 37-foot bus I am looking to buy that says "Almost 35 feet long." Do you think that would work?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:44:36 PM by XE1UFO » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

I stayed at one of those gigantic RV parks in Mesa, AZ.  They inspected the bus first, only problem was waiting for the guy to finish inspecting the bus since he was showing all of his friends too. 
If the RV park gets snippy about my 1977 bus, I don't need to stay there.  I just really dislike snobby anything.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »

My 4104 still looks completely original even though it is a conversion and I've never been turned away.

In more than a few places we have had admiring questions asked even though our old 4104 is no glamor queen. Everyone is truly amazed at the age of the bus.

We did arrive at a "Resort" in So CA one night after the office was closed and, after one look around, we decided to leave VERY early the next morning so as to avoid anything!! Fortunately it was Sun morning. There was nothing in that park under $350K.

We avoid anything called a Resort but this was an emergency because of the heat.

I've never read on any board of any bus actually being turned away just because it was a bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

I've heard "Outdo Resorts' in Port Saint Lucy FL. retain the right to deny entry if the "Clamppits" show up, even if Jed is a millionaire.

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »

Bungee cords are the greatest invention since lag bolts. lol Roll Eyes

followed by duct tape Grin
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »

Aw crap...I was really hoping to never think of this event again for the rest of my life, but now that you've asked and dreged it back up, I'll share.

It was Thankgiving 2005, and I was doing my first year of fulltiming. I had made several long trips in '05, all without incident, so I had been lulled into a false sense of acceptance.

I left Portland on my way down to San Francisco, and managed to miss the worst of the city traffic, so I decided I'd try to make it all the way, the day before Thankgiving.

If you've ever been around SF in your coach, you probably know it's not the most bus/RV friendly locale on the planet.

After consulting my charts, I thought my chances of finding a parking spot for the night around Half Moon Bay were probably as good as any.

After topping off with fuel in Half Moon Bay (city) and confirming with a local that there was indeed an RV park less than 20 miles south on the coast road, off I went.

When I pulled in the place was closed, but there was a night check-in near the office. Not knowing if there was a good parking spot for my 39' Thomas, and not wanting to find out after I paid, I decided to make a lap around the park and see what was available.

Let me go on record now and say that I do have a converted 1987 skoolie, but it's not anything the Clampett's or Partidge Family would be interested in. The white with black trim paint scheme is tastefully done, my wheels are all the same color grey, and there is no broken glass, loud exhaust or mismatched tires.

I was halfway around the park, when the manager showed up from somewhere and asked what I was doing. I mentioned that I was trying to find a suitable parking spot when he yelled loud enough for the entire park to hear..."Get that #uckin' thing outta here, NOW!"

Granted, there were some high dollar campers and very few self propelled RV's, but I couldn't really understand what the problem was.

However, now there was a problem...not for the RV park manager, but for the poor bastard at the wheel of the converted skoolie, who was now incredibly weary, a stranger to the area, and with no clue where to go next.

If I return to that area, you can be sure I'll avoid the Half Moon Bay park like the plague, and I caution anyone reading this to confirm they are welcome there before wasting your time, fuel and possibly be sent back out on the road too tired to be safe.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

We were at a club south of Tampa w/ bus and friends until the wee hours of the morn when all of a sudden the manager approached and said we had to move our bus out from the front of his place as it was suddenly blocking his  view of the parking lot. So my good friend and compadrey inquired  next door and found us a place to park  for the night at the neighbouring "hot spot ". We transplanted for the rest of the evening and had a beautiful spot directly on the beach front,NO charge ! and in the morning had  a big breakfast at our new found friends restaurant  we passed the hat and gave that bar owner  $200 for the warm reception he gave us. heck of a sweet guy and we'll go back there often to repay his act of kindness.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:55:58 AM by steve wardwell » Logged

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

Bungies are very High Tech Redneck!!!

Tom I am familiar with the area you are talking about at Half Moon Bay! I used to have a 27' motorhome and spent a lot of time on 101 and 1 Ive read about skoolis having problems in many campgrounds and with insurance, it seems to be a stereotype from the 60s hippy days. Im glad you ended up in such a great place afterall!!!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »

Most folks can't tell my bus was ever a skoolie, but one of my buddy's down in Bayou LaBatre, Alabama told me it reminded him of the bookmobile.

Then there was the Waffle House waitress in Longmont, Colorado who nearly burst into tears when I rolled up about 3am on my way home to the high plains.
I had just cleared the door when she said out loud..."That looks just like the bus that took my son to prison!"

Jeez...no wonder I've been parked for 10 months.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »

I pulled into a "RV Resort" across the Miss. river at Natchez.  I was inside checking in with a young female clerk. On the wall was a big sign saying no RV'S over 10 years old.

As I was checking in she came to a line that said what kind of rv did I have. So i said a  35 ft. GM. She asked several time and about that time the manager came in and said "That is the nicest motor home I have ever seen". That was the end of the questions.  It is a 1953 4104.

Never did tell that it was a 55 years old.  Had a nice stay untill I found out that I could have stayed on the other side for free at the welcome center.

Uncle Ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »

Never did tell that it was a 55 years old.  Had a nice stay until I found out that I could have stayed on the other side for free at the welcome center.
Uncle Ned

Ned,

You and Wilma are always Welcome at our private Resort and for FREE.

We even put in a special 15 amp plug to keep the fire down from these Ole Rigs.... Wink   Grin

30 or 50 is available with proof of a fire extinguisher.

No one can say I discriminate.....I let Kyle stay here once.... Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »

Ned,

They wouldn't have let us in.  If asked, I say my MC5a is a 1997 model.  That would make is 13 years old.  I can't seem to call it a 2001.  I feel changing centuries would be deceptive.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »

Cliff 

Always look forward to seeing you and the gang. Could bring your neighbor a new project .
Harry i think was name,  enjoyed the stay. Will still trade sam for your son.  even. love kids

Hope to be down this year. After jacks rally.  will it be okay if i bring bob back.

Talked to him last week and he was freezing, down to 45 degrees.  Has Florida blood in him now.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: