Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:51:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumb Chargers  (Read 1836 times)
06 Bill

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:06 AM »

I have a couple of dumb chargers in the 20 amp range that will charge forever on shore power. When I switch
over to 2500w honda genny they will both click on and off via their internal breakers on the 12 volt output lead. My
? is what could cause this, high voltage, high or low hertz etc. ?   Thanks in adv 06 Bill.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »

Bill,

Most likely is caused by the output of your Honda generator.

It is probably really a generator, feeding an inverter, and the inverters output is not a true sine wave.

This clipping causes the chargers not to work.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:54 AM »

are the 120v plugs on the chargers 3 wire--supply -ground-earth ground..I'm following post to learn...sounds like some type of reverse polarity problem? How does everything else run in coach ok ?  curious.-Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
06 Bill

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:22 AM »

My generator is not the inverter type. Old type tech constant speed gov control. Everything else in coach works just
fine, Tvs, Computer, and all manner of other 120 volt stuff. 06 Bill
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »

Are you sure it is the generator acting up? When the chargers fail and click off and on; if plugged into shore power, do they still fail?

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:41:17 AM »

Bill,
My generator is not the inverter type.

OK, That rules out my first guess

? is what could cause this, high voltage, high or low hertz etc.

Maybe, I would rule these out first though.

I had one power pack that would never work on my Ole Generator, it had a very tight voltage range.

Let us know what you find on the Voltage, Hertz ?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:55 AM »

Bill,

This kind of problem is really difficult to diagnose remotely; I can think of dozens of things that might cause this.  Make and model on the chargers might help.

Your generator's frequency is probably not the problem, as very few plain chargers are sensitive to this.  I would, though, check the voltage with a good meter under normal operating conditions and make sure it is in the range 110-125 volts.

That said, my best guess is a combination of two factors:  Chargers that don't like their outputs wired to their inputs (this type of charger really can't be used on a conversion) along with a ground and/or neutral wiring error that masks this behavior on shore power but not on the generator.  This theory is easy to test if the charger can easily be removed from the coach.

Double-check that your shore ground is properly connected and that your neutral bus is properly isolated on shore service, and fully bonded at the generator.  Also that whatever mechanism you are using to switch between shore and generator switches the neutral along with the hot(s).

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:03:02 AM »

gen set running and some things in coach running..connect battery chargers..prob occures..on your gen set it will supply 20 amps max output..so what is 120 demand in coach when hooked up...how much power do chargers (120volt) amps to run?could we just be running out of amperage that is available..low supply power to charger?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:05:23 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: