Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:14:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tankless water heaters  (Read 1557 times)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:01:19 AM »

Hey guys,

I just discovered something that I thought was very interesing. 

http://www.promolife.com/products/tankless2.htm#single

I don't know if this will work or not, but this looks like a very inexpensive way to have hot showers on a bus conversion. 

Have any of you ever hand any experience with these tankless water heaters that run on propane?  there is a single portable unit for under $100 on WalMart.com...

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »

Wouldn't use it indoors unless you made an enclosure with intake and exhaust outside the bus.  I have two 10 gal elec water heaters bought from Home Depot that have given me ZERO problems in the 12 years I've have them. No fuss, No mess, just turn them on for 45 minutes before the shower.  Cheap too!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:28:24 AM »

Electric water heaters are only great for those that have an electric pole every night.  Personally, I don't want to run my genset just to heat water.

I'm evaluating water heating options as I really don't have a good spot for a regular RV water heater with all the steel in the walls and such.

Brian Elfert
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »

BUT,

Assuming I do ventilate it well, etc.  Do you guys think it would work?  I was interested to see if anyone had ever used one before, like camping, or a hunting camp, whatever. 

It appears that if it works like it says, it would be a very cheap way to get a good hot water system that would only require changing out a little gas cannister every three or four showers.  Since it's so cheap, I may just get one and try it out. 

If/when I do, I'll let you all know how it works.  I'm thinking about my next adventure of bus converting!@!!

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »

BUT,

Assuming I do ventilate it well, etc.  Do you guys think it would work?  I was interested to see if anyone had ever used one before, like camping, or a hunting camp, whatever. 

It appears that if it works like it says, it would be a very cheap way to get a good hot water system that would only require changing out a little gas cannister every three or four showers.  Since it's so cheap, I may just get one and try it out. 

If/when I do, I'll let you all know how it works.  I'm thinking about my next adventure of bus converting!@!!

I think if it works, it will work about like a $160 demand water heater, which means you may not be impressed with it.  I wouldn't fire it up inside a bay.  It's made for camping in the great outdoors, not permanent mounting.  I'd also bet that it doesn't provide nearly enough water volume for an RV water system.  You could pump your RV water through it instead of using it's internal pump, but if the internal pump is flowing a half gallon a minute and your RV pump is flowing 4 gallons per minute, the water will be flowing through the coils too fast to heat up.  You'll end up with luke warm water at best.  Flowing at a half gallon a minute, it only make 100 degree water. 

I have an RV500 Precision Temp and it works the nuts.  Hot water for as long as I have water and propane. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:20:26 PM by Ross » Logged
Merlin-PV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 11:28:09 AM »

I installed electric tankless heaters in the kitchen and bath and I  like them but limited to 1\2 gal per min, but for boondocking they save lots of water and I don't need to run the genset to use them I have 2  outback 2024 inverters 8 - 110w solars on the roof and 4 8d agm in the battery bay  don't need a power pole!! works for me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: