Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 09:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding and fixing oil leaks!  (Read 5298 times)
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »

Derrick

Try loosening the valve covers and move them around see if they drop into place there is (on mine anyway) a lip that fits inside I drove from IL to FL and back used over 7 gallons of oil.  As I was pulling the I felt it drop into place felt like a fool. LOL  could of fixer on the road anytime

Rick 74 MC-8

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »

Rick, tried your suggestion.  No luck.

As to the leaking airbox cover, I dove in today with the intent of pulling it off and cleaning it and re-sealing/re-assembling.  Found that one nut was completely stripped.  Replaced the nut, (had to remove the washers to get enough good threads on the stud to hold the nut) and tightened her up.  No more leaking cover.  Also checked the slobber tubes at idle to make sure they weren't plugged, got air coming out both at idle with no oil.  Yay!  (I think)  the blower bolts were a little soft again so snugged them up a little more.  Do they require lock-tite?  Or should I just re-torque them a few more times after running it some more?

In the next few days I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets.  While I am in there, should I re-torque the head bolts or is there any other kind of maintenance that should be done while the covers are off?  Or just don't touch nothin'?  any thing specific to look for upon visual inspection?  any preventative maintenance items? 

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:04 AM »

Derrick, you chasing the wrong place for a oil leak on the air box covers if you are getting a lot of oil from those sorry to tell you but there is a problem elsewhere.
Just plan on stopping by if you are coming back this way I am going to give you a class 101 on the engine you and your oil leaks are starting to give me gray hair  LOL just joking but I will help you  FWIW the cast valve covers have no lip they are centered on the head

good luck
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:52:22 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: