Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 08:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the brake light switch generally located?  (Read 1086 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

I need to tap off the brake light switch on my bus for a trailer brake controller.  Where are the brake light switches generally located?  This is for a Dina if anyone knows specifically for a Dina.

Is it allowed to use the output to the brake lights for this?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

Brian,
I don't know the exact location on the Dina. But they are generally located on or near the brake valve.
Follow the linkage from the brake pedal to the air valve and there should be a pressure switch that screws into the air system that will have 2 wires attached to it. That would be your brake light switch.

JD is an excellent source for replacements for these as he has found a aftermarket switch that is about 1/2 price of OEM. Might want to stop in and see him and ask to look at one so you'll know what it looks like when you find it. (shoot I would go ahead and pick one up to keep for a spare incase you ever need it on the road!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:09:14 AM »

I have this one kinda figured out.  I looked at the electrical diagrams and the stop light switches are in the circuit that connects directly to the brake lights.  I could just tap into the wire feeding the brake lights if I wanted to.  I figured knowing how the rest of the lights work that the stop light switch probably went to a relay that actually turned the lights on and off.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »

Build up full air pressure in the bus. Then turn off the engine, and make sure it is quiet.  Get on your hands and knees so your ears are closer to the dash and gently push down the foot brake with your hand.  You'll hear a clicking sound-find out where that is coming from, and that is your brake light switch.  Mine is in the side compartment to the left of the driver's seat.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »

I finally found my brake light switches last night.  They are located under the bus about 10 feet back from the front of the bus.  MCI tech support insisted they are behind a kick panel next to the driver's foot.  Obviously the guy doesn't know Dinas as there is no kick panel there or anywhere in the driver's area for that matter.

I was able to locate a feed from the brake light switches in my front electrical panel.  I could hear a relay click when I hit the brake pedal and located that relay on my wiring diagrams.  I was able to tap into the switch via the feed to relay.

steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »

Brian you are now elevated to tech status

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »

Quote from: steve wardwell
Brian you are now elevated to tech status

Wink

Brian thanks for the info, I really had NO IDEA!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: