Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much should I pay for an air ride seat? Where to get?  (Read 3016 times)
belfert

« on: August 25, 2006, 07:11:43 AM »

What kind of money should I expect to pay for a decent air ride seat for my bus?  Where should I be looking for one?

Someone is selling a bunch of Bostrom like new ones on Ebay that I expect would cost around $400 to $500 shipped.  (The last batch from the seller went around $240 with $95 shipping.)

I thought I had an air ride seat that was broken, but I actually have a mechanical suspension seat that is broken.  I am thinking that an upgrade to a better air ride with arms and such might be best.  I don't really want an RV seat because most of those are like Lazy Boys and don't seem to have enough support for long stretches of driving.

Brian Elfert
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »

How about checking at Glen's truck center in Rogers?  I've gotten stuff from them in the past and they've been fairly reasonably priced.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:44:43 AM »

I have the original National air ride seat-even with the ugly black vinyl.  I like to ride low so I don't put any air into my seat.  The only time I do use air is driving into the sun, I pump it up all the way since I don't have sun visors (yet).  Personally, buses ride so well that air suspension seats are a waste.  Better to put in a 6 way (or more) adjustable seat so anyone driving it will be comfortable.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »

Call Peterbilt in Blaine and see how much they want for new ones.

Might ask them if they have any used or takeouts, too.

I think Tom is the name of the parts guy you want to talk to, but it's been awhile since I was in there.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
belfert

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:46 AM »

Tom is right that the ride is fine without the air ride.  I just figured if I replaced the seat, it might as well be air ride.  Maybe the hassle of adding an air line isn't worth it.

A new seat with arm rests and a little more adjustability would be nice.  For now I should probably replace the mechanical height adjuster and be done with it.  (It does look an air cylinder could go there instead.)

Brian Elfert
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »

An air ride seat in a bus will really be "fun" on some interstates (such as I-20 from Jackson, MS to Birmingham, AL.  I think you would be better off just getting a regular seat.  I bought two brand new factory seats off of ebay from a trucking company that was replacing them with leather.  I paid $60 for both of them.  They were grey cloth and one was used for driver and I used the other one for a passenger seat.  Worked fine, but I really didn't like the fact that the back of the seats were not as adjustable as I would have liked.

Bottom line, you can just about spend what you want to.  I've seen some with built in vibrating massage (interesting!?!).  But, personally, I would skip the air-ride and get one with heat and good lumbar support.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

I put a very used Eldorado VIP in my bluebird, & did not like the way the rebound act, so I replace the shock with one from a snowmobile ski. I would not drive without one now.
           wrench
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 03:59:28 PM »

Brian, I have an air ride seat in my MC5, in a soft suede leather and it has the "Eagle" pressed into the upper portion of the back.
It has arm rests (adjustable), and most important for me, a bladder for a 'lombar' support with a seperate control button for that.

I might complain from time to time about the previous owner not having the ability to plan ahead...but I sure have to give him credit for buying that seat....it's dream.  I can instantly adjust it for the comfort of the Interstate and when I need to turn off to mix it up with local traffic...all the buttons are there to put me into a different posture for anything I might meet that contrasts the highway mode.

Would I buy this seat if I knew all the features and could experience the comfort level?  You bet your sweet bippy! Wink

I agree that an air ride seat isn't a 'necessary' accessory in an air ride vehicle but I can certainly tell you this.....

When I'm tooling down the road in that 38 year old bus and that 8V71 is just making noises like a hungry hummingbird.....
I'm the "King of the Road"! Cheesy

Do it your way!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 07:00:17 PM »

Brian, whatever you do with the air ride (or not), get the driver's seat that you intend to use permanently before building a base or modifying your existing seat. I bought a FlexSteel and had to saw off the orig pedestal and reweld the air ride mount. The FlexSteel was quite a bit higher than the bus seat. Turned out to be a lot of trouble for no special advantage. I leave the seat airless most of the time. Bus just doesn't require an air ride. I am more comfortable sitting lower than I would have thought.
Looks like air rides in busses were more for safety by allowing different drivers to set the seat where they wanted it. Nothing like a big truck...like I-10 in LA...air ride will hurt you on that road.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 12:06:35 AM »

We bought a top of the line seat from National Seats.  It ran $1,300.  Don has a real bad back and driving is really hard on him.  It has every air bag adjustment known to mankind.  The suspension is adjustable.  Has a head rest that your head can actually rest on.  It can be made to fit like a glove. It was the one big splurge we made.  He says it is easier to sit in that seat and drive the bus than our brand new Silverado truck.  Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Big Tom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »

If you want an air-suspension seat check with local big-rig truck dealers like International, Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc.  Walked into local International dealer's the other day, there were two air seats on display along with rebuilt engines, etc.  They may have some takeouts, or know of some coming up, and the parts man will know where any local truck wrecking yards are so you can search them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: