Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 11:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Narrowing it down!  (Read 6216 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »

Is picture 47 showing signs of old leaking? Otherwise it is VERY nice lookin!!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »

I did think of something else to check, the fan blade on the 4104's have been know to come off, this will ruin your day, and your radiator, check the fan for any play or movement. The bus looks good!!

Rick
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:47:48 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »

looks good.  If you like the layout and can live in it say no more.  One ? what did the engine rebuild indicate?  There are various levels of rebuild, from a spray can of paint to big end bearings, to new/ re-machined almost everything.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »

Is picture 47 showing signs of old leaking? Otherwise it is VERY nice lookin!!

I was wondering the same thing about picture 43.  Are the rear curtains showing water stains?
Nice coach.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »

Those are the questions i am looking for.  As per the water stuff in those two pictures, I wondered the same thing and asked and looked.  Other than on the curtains there didn't seem to be any signs of water damage.  The seals looked great as they were replaced semi-recently, and the bus has spent most of it's converted life covered.  Same thing in the closet.  What I was told is that the owners parents had spent a decent amount of time in a humid climate and that is where the water marks come from.  I couldn't see any sign of water coming in any windows or seals. 

As per the engine rebuild,  all cylinders were honed and new pistons, rings, seals, etc.  converted to 4 valves and jake brakes added.  Not sure what else without looking.  Definitely wasn't a spray paint job.  Also, it will be getting all new injectors before purchase : )

1957 PD4104.  Self proclaimed youngest busnut in the nation.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »

Im suspicious, sorry. But with the seals being replaced recently..... and there signs of water damage (see photo 46 too) I would be curious if there was rust in the window track that had broken thru and new seals were slapped on it to cover it up and sell it..... I dont know much about your bus style and could be way off, but my red flags are going off.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:11 AM »

I know you want a perfect coach..it's not going to happen in you price requirements.So if it runs and drives good and the systems work the value is there. you can address the leaks and cosmetic issues later.Gives you something to work on and become more familiar with your new found hobby.You can park rite next to the 2 million dollar coaches and enjoy the same view and maybe be able to afford a beer.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Thanks Bob, I agree.  I can't be splitting hairs at this point.  I'm just really hoping that the mechanics are AOK and that I can be living in and working on my new home soon.

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

really seems like a good bus to me.  Wish I had started with something this tight.  The rebuild if properly documented is a major bonus, watch the temp and oil and drive it forever.

jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

What is everyone's opinion on the fact that the transmission is original? It has a new clutch, but the tranny itself is from 1957.  Is this as scary as it seems?  Other than this the bus is like a dream I can't wait to get.

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »

from what I understand that box is strong.  No synchros to break. if it works now, and you are gentle with it it should work forever....unless you are planning on putting millions of miles on it.  There is an aspect of "scary" in any old vehicle.  The '04 is easy to care for, and easy to fix.  If you 're concerned about the tranny, warm it on a run, drain the old oil put in some new oil (proper spec mind you)

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »

Don't worry about the trans. They were built tough.

My Courier 96 (1957) has the original tranny: still feels as good and tight as when I used to drive them in the '70s.

Looks like a good bus. If the price is right, take it home and resume the ongoing maintenance that comes with running any kind of machinery. That is routine maint. like changing fluids and lubing, preventive maint. and fixing/replacing things When they break. The more of the former you do at home, the less of the latter will happen on the side of the road.

You have to be willing to accept that, or else go buy a S and S that comes with a warranty and roadside assistance.

Make your best deal, drive it home and enjoy it.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »

What is everyone's opinion on the fact that the transmission is original? It has a new clutch, but the tranny itself is from 1957.  Is this as scary as it seems?  Other than this the bus is like a dream I can't wait to get.
It is a year newer than me, so it is young  Cheesy

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: