Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 01:05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water Pump GPM for bus house systems?  (Read 1594 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:07:14 AM »

OK, OK........I guess I burned up my FloJet water pump, and I have resigned myself to buying another one. I Have looked at Camping World and they are very expensive so I went to E-Bay and there is an assortment there. But here's the question. Mine says "4.5" GPM (but it never felt like it). All the pumps I see on E-Bay say 2.8 GPM.  is 2.8 the typical size? Do you think I will experience a drop in flow?

Before I bought something I thought I should ask the experts.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:21:18 PM »

Dave, I'm not an expert but, I went thru what you are doing. I asked seveal people and was told that 3 GPM (2.8 is close enough) should be the minimum. With 5 being a lot better.

When I priced the 5 GPM pumps I decided to try a 3 GPM. If I'm dissatisfied I'll change to a 5 and keep the 2.8 for a spare, or give it to some one I don't like.

Since you boondock it might be more mportant to you than me. I'll just need it for use on the road.

I have spent some time in a coach with a 2.8 and it seemed adequate. Maybe if I was used to a 5, I would have been dissatisfied.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »

Thanks Ed,
The Flowjet that I had was 4.5 GPM. But, like you said , when you look at replacement prices that 2.8 pump starts looking pretty good.

We do very little boondocking,our coach is all electric and the only thing 12v is the water pump, a few lights and the radio. I am almost thinking to go to an electric (110v) water pump.

dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:55:53 PM »

Hi Dave,

I have the SureFlo 5.7 gpm smart sensor, which is variable speed. Quiet, and the preasure is like in my home.

Taking showers is just the same as home.

Nick

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »

I got that 5.7 smart sensor too, & won't go back to 2.Huh  but a way to do that may please you if you got the room is to install a 5 gallons blader tank, it will push a larger volume of water for few seconds & the pump will replenish when you tun the faucet off. The thank can be install remotely & pipe in the pressure side of the system.
        wrench
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »

To Ed:

You mentioned that if you aren't satisfied with the 2.8, you might later upgrade to a 5 GPM, and keep the 2.8 as a spare. Just a thought, but maybe you could just add another 2.8 and plumb them in parallel.  If you have room to set it up this way, it would cost less and should provide greater flow.  You would have a "hot back up" so that you wouldn't have to make an emergency repair at 10 pm on a rainy night.

Hopefully the water flow would be signifcantly different, or you would include a test switch, so that you wouldn't have a pump fail and not know it.

Wayne

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »

Per Fred Hobe:
http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/fredhobe3.htm

How many times have you been on the road, tired and want a good shower, and that 12 volt pump that you have just wont put out more than a trickle. Here is a way to get a shower just like the one that you get at home. Go to Home Depot and get a Flotec Model FPOF300AC. This little pump works off your 120volt system it only draws 2 amps and put out twice as much water as your 12 volt one.

I put a T in the line that runs to the 12 volt pump and install the 120 volt pump. Hook it up with a check valve, and tie it into your water system. You need a pressure switch that is set at 35 pounds pressure on it. Run the power to a switch in the bath room. Now you can turn it on and off as you want. This pump is very quite, and you can use it as a spare or use it all the time.If you need a lot of water at one time you can run both pumps at the same time. Put a hose fitting in your bay and hook up a hose and you can use it as a fire fighter if needed.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: