Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bike/car dolly  (Read 3519 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »

My assumption would be that he leaves the keys in the car's ignition (hence the steering lock off), and that the 'steering' of the front wheels is sufficient to get the dolly around mild corners without mishap - but as soon as he gets anywhere with even moderately tight corners he unloads the car and gets his wife to drive it behind.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
cody

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »

The guy and his wife fulltime and I didn't see the dolly in motion, it was parked and they were having lunch when I saw them, they were still parked when I left, I saw the pivot, I didn't see any dents, I have no reason to think he lied when he said it tracked perfectly, but like I said, you could be right, it may not work at all and probably hasn't worked for the last 6 years, he just drags it around for people to admire.  Roll Eyes
cody

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »

Guys, I posted the thread because I thought maybe somebody might be interested, not to explain or defend his engineering, it works for him and I don't care if it'll work for you or not, now I know why nobody wants to post anything anymore, it's just not worth the grief.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »

Cody - for goodness sake stop being so touchy! No-one is criticising you and there's no need to start throwing rattles out of prams. This is a thread discussing the design of the towing dolly which you started for that purpose.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

Thanx Cody. I appreciate your effort. When I read this, it does sound like others feel you should know all about the design. Just my take.

I did see a S&S (high dollar) yesterday with a parallelogram type lift for a (real)   Roll Eyes Grin motorcycle that swung down to road height to load the Harley and then lift it up over a toad pulling 4 down. Really cool and no doubt - pricey!! (and no, I don't know how it worked as it was going down the road.  Grin lol Grin All I could basically see were the parallel arms. Wink)

I thought it was a cool idea and kinda got me thinkin, but, I can pull my Harley in the bay of my buffalo after I pull my "apes" (handle bars) down, so I'm good. I love that aspect. 

Thanx again Cody. Love seein that stuff!!!! Keep it comin when it shows up!!
 Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »

Here is a commercial version.  I think this is a great idea, personally.  It's a good way to go.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/towdolly.html

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

Good post/link B.!!!! Gives a lot of good weight, etc. info.
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
cody

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »

Yes jeremy, regretfully, I did start the thread, I also stated that the guy was just passing thru in the opening statement of the thread, had I known that a wannabe engineer was going to pick it apart instead of just taking it for what it was, then I would have never bothered.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »

there was one very much like that close to us in Fla last winter..The guy hauled a Harley Road King on front and his Esculade on the tow dolly part...I like the idea better than adding additional weight to the frame that is already carrying a 4000 lb engine..It was a commercial built unit so it must work:he's had it there the last two years...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »

http://www.bestpricetrailers.com/for-sale/MCtowdolly.aspx

This is a similar one and show pictures without the vehicle.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:38:24 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »

Cody, do you think you could track this fellow down and get me some blueprint drawings. i don't want to build one, I just thought you might need something to do.
 Cool

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
cody

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »

Craig, I have no idea who he was, jamie and I were driving and we saw the coach parked in a turnout by the lake and pulled over to see if we could look at the dolly, we never asked who they were, the guy told us a little about the dolly and we talked and then left, no idea on who they were.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

Cody,

Do you have photo's from underneath the trailers?

How about from 10' to the left?

Cliff

Were just bustin your a$$

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

Only from 8ft, sorry
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

Cody, are you ready for us to quit yanking your chain?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: