Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:41:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bike/car dolly  (Read 3416 times)
cody

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »

No chain, I've got a cable, Grin
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

another sacrificial  lamb slaughtered before the bus lords!...................Thank you for your donation!.................You can lead a horse to water, then you need to kick him in to drink or swim..........no good deed goes unpunished..............s......................PS nice dolly!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:55:56 PM by steve wardwell » Logged

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 06:53:02 PM »

No chain, I've got a cable, Grin

I sure ain't yankin that!!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

Cody do you realize how powerful you are? Your post has invigorated the minds of all. We now want to go out and cut, build, chop, weld, grind, tweak and paint our one-off creations. Our wives will be so happy. My wife can't thank you enough.

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »

he does have a big.........................................................................................imagination

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:34 AM »

Here is a commercial version.  I think this is a great idea, personally.  It's a good way to go.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/towdolly.html

There's a YouTube showing this dolly (or one very similar) here:
Tandem Tow Trailers Promo

The pivot mechanism is shown at around 2.20 on the video. The pivot is just a bolt going through a length of 4x4 box section, which to me seems a bit minimal - but then I'm just a wanabee engineer as we all know. On my own tow dolly the vertical weight of the car was taken on a large greased plate underneath the pivot, a bit like a 5th-wheel coupling.

Thanks Cody for starting this interesting thread - sorry I ruined it by asking a question. I'll try to remember the 'just take it for what it is' rule in future

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
cody

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 04:23:08 AM »

Jeremy, I should not have refered to you as a wannabe engineer as I have no knowledge of your engineering ability or lack of, my frustration came from your total lack of comprehension of the engineering aspects of the unit and the off the wall comments that the car would whip off the dolly or the dolly would smash into the bike or the best one is that the couple would unload the car at each corner and drive it thru then reload the car onto the dolly again, I made several attempts to explain what little I knew of the dolly but you couldn't or at least didn't grasp the concept so in frustration I gave up trying to explain it to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: