Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 23, 2014, 03:45:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up the bus dream  (Read 7062 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

I think I'm just going to try to sell my bus after my hassles this year.  I'm supposed to leave on vacation a week from tomorrow, but I still have 100 hours of work to do and maybe 20 hours to do it all.

I don't think I will make it.  No point in having a bus if I can't at least make one trip a year in it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »

Belfert,

Lack of prior planning on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »

Quote from: belfert
I think I'm just going to try to sell my bus after my hassles this year.

Well Brian,
Hate to see you give up. But you'll have to make that decision!

Quote from: belfert
I'm supposed to leave on vacation a week from tomorrow, but I still have 100 hours of work to do and maybe 20 hours to do it all.

I don't think I will make it.  No point in having a bus if I can't at least make one trip a year in it.

I can't say I'm surprised! You go through this every year you wait until late in the spring or summer to start on a project that you way under estimate the time or $ it will take to do, then toward the deadline you get discouraged about it.
I remember telling you earlier this year not to wait to start for this very reason.

Just stop and look at the progress you've made, the projects you've done and the $ spent. Then take a look at what buses are bringing right now.
I'd think long and hard before trying to sell right now!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »

What needs to be done? Is it undrivable or something?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »

You have a modern bus.are suffering from burn out..go on vacation and think about it..then make your decision..all of us have the same thoughts..It's a lot of work! but what a reward when someone admires your work!!  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »

You have a modern bus.are suffering from burn out..go on vacation and think about it..then make your decision..all of us have the same thoughts..It's a lot of work! but what a reward when someone admires your work!!  Bob

I don't have a vehicle to go on vacation with.  The bus is the vehicle I was planning to use.

The bus is completely undriveable as it sits.  The dash has no gauges hooked up, the ignition isn't hooked up, and I still have a connector under the dash I can't find the mate for.  I'm going to head back out and see what I can get done in the next half hour or so.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »

Brian,hate to see you give it up. You are the only other Dina person we know of. Dont take the decision to give it up lightly. I know you have invested a lot of time in your bus, and if you make a hasty decision, you may regret it later. For most, bus conversion is a dream, a project to work on, and a love for it. If you dont have that, then, a bus nut you aint, lol. We happen to have become a bus nut by accident, and love it, but ours is not just a project,although it has been a blast all things considered,  it is what helps us earn our money. I truly dont think we would still be doing the job we do if we didnt have a bus to do it with. Anyhow, only you can decide what you want to do. If you are tired of it, or lost interest, then giving up would be the thing to do. But, if you are only upset with yourself, it will be even worse if a hasty, regretful decision is made. Take care

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »

I think I'm just going to try to sell my bus after my hassles this year.  I'm supposed to leave on vacation a week from tomorrow, but I still have 100 hours of work to do and maybe 20 hours to do it all.

I don't think I will make it.  No point in having a bus if I can't at least make one trip a year in it.

Oh, is it that time of year already?  My how time does fly any more. Seems like only last week you were thinking of selling your bus the last time you couldn't complete a project in time for
your annual trip. We could almost set our watches.  Roll Eyes

Seriously, hack it together, go have fun, and fix it correctly when you get back.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »

If it were me, and I know it's not, but just an observation, I think I would have put more effort into fixing what issues you had to complete with the bus rather than spend your time on a trailer. Think about it, you NEED the bus to pull the trailer. With the bus NOT running for whatever reason/s what good is it to spend valuable time on the trailer?
Doesn't sound right to me but like others have stated, every year around the time you decide to leave on your annual trip, you get bummed out and want to give up!  I would say set your priorities and do them in a more practical order. I DO remember BK telling you or advising you NOT to strip your dash apart for THIS reason. I did mine and that was my ONLY priority to get it back IN the bus, because without it, I had nothing more than a yard knome just as you do now!
I wish you the best...

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 08:31:15 PM »

If I don't end up taking the bus on my trip this year I am going to give up on the whole thing.  Too much effort for zero return.  Whatever little bit I can sell it for is a bonus.

I had to give up for tonight as there isn't enough light to find one of the connectors.  I need some daylight.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »

I bought my bus in 1993, brought it down to L.A. (from Portland, Or) in 1994 and started on it.  In 1995, I went to the Bus Conversion get together in Laughlin, Nv (great get together!!) with only my bed and bathroom in.  When I got back, I put the bus back up on blocks and didn't use it again until almost done in 1999.  Sometimes during construction, you just have to accept that you can't use it for awhile (I never could see how some use their bus during conversion).  Keep plugging along, and before you know it, it will suddenly be done (or at least usable).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 05:40:09 AM »

Brian

I thought PROCRASTINATION and A.D.D. were part of the madness. Shocked Seems like every time I plan a trip I start a project with plenty of time to finish it, then while working on it I see something else that need to be done. I end up with a week to finish everything and start thinking its not gonna happen. My wife just laughs and tells me to have it ready for the trip. Somehow in the end it all comes together and the bus is usable. I guess for me it all part of the fun of being a Busnut. Grin

Jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »

Yep, looks like it is that time for the same old story, only thing different is the year itself.

If the bus wasn't ready, why take on the trailer project?  - which ended up costing as much as a ready to go trailer plus the time away from the bus. . . .
Why take on non essential 'upgrades' to the bus so close to time to leave for a trip?

Loss of day light is a predictable event in the evenings. There is a neat invention called flood lights, you might want to look into some.  Shocked

It ain't 'the bus', it is 'the planning' (or lack thereof).  Shocked

BTW, dreams aren't always sweet, sometimes they are nightmares. But you usually wake up . . . . .
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:53:57 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »

I would help you if I could, but Im in California. Try your best to get it driveable and then go have fun with it. Dont worry about the cosmetics LIFE IS TOO SHORT. And yes, at night when I work on my bus I have to use a long extention cord and light. And I have a couple flashlights out there for those hard to reach spots (like under your dash).

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »

Brian if I remember correctly you were advised against doing some of these jobs before you started them!  I did a little checking, you've spent about 40 days time (24 hours each day) mostly between the hours of 10am and 10pm,on this board instead of working, those are all daylight hours!  It seems to me your time management is off way more than it should be, especially when you are putting yourself in the target zone of vacation time! 

I brought my bus home more than 5 years ago and started this, i've been frustrated at times, filthy, dirty and rather upset with my conversion, I've never been to a bus gathering, vacation or even a short trip in my bus!  Look we all love busing!  It's what you decide for yourself are you going to be happy or give up everytime you shoot yourself in the foot?  You've come a long way......don't stop now!

When you paint a room don't back yourself into a corner.   It's your decision whether you are going to be miserable or content!  Good luck!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: