Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:28:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up the bus dream  (Read 7469 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:33:39 AM »

Brian, it seems that many folks are second guessing your time allocation.  That is not productive here. 

We all approach a project(s) differently.  I am very much like you.  I seem to back myself into a corner at times and get really frustrated.  Like you, I have wanted to sell my bus many times.  People tell you to "get your act together", but it is not that simple.  Folks like us just have some character "flaw" that makes us do things the way we do.  It is really frustrating to me, as I was the project leader on many large projects at work.  I really made good use of manual and software programs for time management of the project and prided myself in doing a good job.  *****BUT***** when it came to my personal projects, it was a whole different story.

Of all the input you have gotten, I think the best is throw it back together and go have fun.  It sounds like to need to step back from working on the bus and get on the road.

One of my thoughts is that you always furnish the bus for your friends (and your) enjoyment.  It strikes me that they owe you.  Call in the "markers" and tell them they need to get their butts over to your place and help you.  If they can build rockets they sure as hell can work on a bus!!!!

HANG IN THERE!!!!!

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »

Very good advice Jim. Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »

Jim, i think you have nailed it!

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »

Brian,

I may have a little time to come over and help... let me know if you need me. I also have a couple of mechanic friends who may be willing to help but I'm reluctant to ask them because us busnuts have a tendency to do it our way and we aren't the kindest when giving direction.

Let me know

rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »

Brian,

I may have a little time to come over and help... let me know if you need me. I also have a couple of mechanic friends who may be willing to help but I'm reluctant to ask them because us busnuts have a tendency to do it our way and we aren't the kindest when giving direction.
Let me know

rick

Is that what it is? Now I know! I been accused of being pig headed and stubborn many times before when telling how I want this or that done! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »

haha!! Just by the simple act of dreaming of a bus conversion and actually putting down hard earned ca$h for a bus, we have proven ourselves to be "pig headed, stubborn, and of unsound mind" otherwise we would do as the masses and buy a S&S. It takes a special kind of person to even attempt something like this

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

It takes a special kind of person to even attempt something like this

Of course you mean "Special" in the "Short Bus" way......right!  Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:16 PM »

I bought my bus in 2000. We drove it around for a few months, then stripped it. It never saw the road again until October of 2009. Then we had limited accommodations!! The boss said no more travel with a cardboard bathroom. I hit it hard this winter and this spring we went to Savannah, Charleston, and Dayton beach for spring break, then to Mississippi. Looking back I should have never used those four feared words ( WHILE WERE AT IT). Probably added years to the project. But the feeling of accomplishment the first time we pulled out was the ultimate high. I am one of those people who will start a project and work Thur. the night because I can't stand to see something not finished. This hobby will break you from that!! My advice after a 10 year journey is do what you can today, don't look forward at all the work to do. Don't look back constantly at what you have done!!! One day you will look up and be amazed at what you did!!! Best of luck!
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »

Of course you mean "Special" in the "Short Bus" way......right! 

Cliff

You do realize you are talkin to a girl who calls a graphic of a toy rocking airplane her "corporate jet" haha  Wink

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

Of course you mean "Special" in the "Short Bus" way......right! 

Cliff

You do realize you are talkin to a girl who calls a graphic of a toy rocking airplane her "corporate jet" haha  Wink

Do you realize the "corporate" your talking about would love to have one of those just to say they have a "corporate jet" ! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »

Well, I gotta tell you. . Larry STILL violates the "two week rule"..   .you know, the one that says you are NOT ALLOWED to start any repairs or major projects less than two weeks before a planned trip!!!!

It's really my fault though, because when he asks me, "now, how much time do I have before we leave". . .  like a fool. . .I tell the TRUTH Roll Eyes.  From now on, I'm going to lie and say "two weeks", when it's really four, and then plead SUCH a busy schedule I just got confused. . . .  Huh

And, yes, we often do have problems with time management. . . like, for instance, right now I should be working on payroll and getting caught up with paperwork. .. (since I spent THE ENTIRE DAY shopping for the infamous "discount funeral package",) but what am I doing??? I'm goofing on here while eating dinner!  Personally, I don't get on the bus sites as often as I'd like, and I think that the time spent here, whether it's griping, or telling some boring story, is a form of therapy and is an outlet for frustration, giving us a sense of community.  I know, often when I write about some embarrassing or crazy thing that happens, people will write and say how the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO US!  This is how I KNOW that there are other inept, crazy, goofballs out there just as silly as we are!

I say, go ahead and gripe and threaten to sell the bus. . .that is, if you can then go back out and get back to working on it!  Course, if you think your frustrations will end when you get it "done", well, all I have to say is, HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

ahem Embarrassed

Christy Hicks Grin

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »

Well said Christy!

Brian,
Bro I hope you don't think I was picking on you. I wasn't, but if you go back and look it is the same every time this time of yr.
I wish I were closer and could offer more assistance, but I don't.
I do know there are great minds and hands closer too you that have offered help. You should call them up make arrangement and let them help you!
I also think that yer rocket scientist buddies should make some time to jump in and help you to after all you spend a lot of $ and time making this possible so that you all can make this trip annually! It ain't like they can't find some time to help out!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

cody

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »

Discount funeral packages?  Walmart has not only caskets but urns on their web site, libby pointed that out to me,,,,wonder what she was trying to tell me.  We have a funeral director here that has a slogan on his cards that says, "we work hard to URN your business".
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

Chritsy, Go on down to Granger TX and check this guy out. He beat WM to it!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

Brian, maybe if you don't provide the bus transportation for your buddies this year, then they will get off the couch and help out.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: