Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 02:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 102D3/DL3 floorplans ???  (Read 1528 times)
ToppDog

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »

Anybody happen to have any?  I've been messing around with a bunch of floorplan ideas, but haven't got too serious yet without knowing the exact dimensions.  My guesses so far are that the windows are roughly five feet long each (leaving 2.5 feet on either end of the bus to account for the additional five feet), & that the interior width is eight feet.

Also, other than the additional five feet, are there any other differences or pros/cons of picking one over the other?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:04:30 AM »

Some like big kitchens (ours has a 9ft countertop since my wife and I like to cook together), some like small abbreviated kitchens.  I like my bathroom enclosed with a hallway (I don't like a walk through because it blocks access to the rear when someone is using it), some like a walk through bathroom.  Some like twin beds, some like queen or even a king bed or even bunks.  You can have an old fashioned convertible dinette, or just have table and chairs, or nothing at all.  You can have a convertible sofa that either makes a double bed or folds into a bunk.  You can have one or two recliners.  Some like me like overhead cabinets for their extra storage while others don't like their looks.  I like lots of big windows, others like not many small windows.

Many of your floor plan choices will be generated by the design of the bus.  Before building, tape out your floor plan, and if you're still not sure, get some cardboard and make a mock-up.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »

Well Top Dog the D3 is a 40'er and the DL3 is a 45'er so there will be a difference and I believe there is more than 2.5' feet in the front and less in the rear!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ToppDog

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »

Thanks guys!  I think you might be right about it being under 2.5 ft behind the back windows... maybe closer to 2 ft in the rear & 3 ft in the front?  What I'd be curious to find out more about are the dimensions of the driver's seat area, & any access hatches or step up areas in the rear... or anything else I might be overlooking.

I'll probably be heading out to Northwest bus sales one of these weekends.  Seems they always have D3's, but hardly ever any DL3's.  I can't seem to see any visual differences between them other than the extra length to accommodate an extra set of windows, which is why I'm guessing they are right at 5 ft in length.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:44 AM »

if bay space is a concern the 45ft should have one more..we are doing a 45 now and are doing a rear bath with extra space so will have full bath in rear and Butt hut 1/2 bath midship..usually just two of us..occasional guest..on the forty we have now we have walk Thur bath only..some use the extra length to put in a large walk in closet or laundry storage area...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »

All things being equal, the D3 is less desirable commercially, so should be priced accordingly.

The DL3 has a more complicated tag axle system, the tags can be set loose to flop around and help get the backside turned on the axis of the drives, instead of pulling the turning axis further back by dragging.

Any sloppy joints, or the alignment wrong, you eat tag tires, and they have some problems behaving when reversing, aiming whichever way and dragging.

Locked tags on a DL3 turn it into a battleship to turn around.

There were flexing issues with the DL3, separated flooring, de-laminating of side bodies, if the owners haven't kept up properly with the body maintenance, or had the repairs done properly...

There is a large sized hatch in the floor, in the aisle, outside the washroom door, from the engine hump forward, 2-3 feet in length, otherwise, floor is lovely all the way through.

Long ago, I had a DL3 all measured out for a Mobile Command Unit concept.... all gone now.
Take your tape measure and a pad of graph paper, you'll have it measured out pretty quick.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: