Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:16:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking up the 4104 in N. MI and heading home, any suggested stops or sights ??  (Read 3357 times)
Bill in KS

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:06:59 AM »

The plan is to pick up the 4104-4797 on Monday the 20th.  The adventure will begin in Atlanta MI.  Taking the family and recently retired inlaws.  Plan is to head north to the Upper Penn. , head west and start heading south / south west .   Want to see some cheese and cranberries in WI  and visit family in Iowa. 

Any sights to see , suggestions for a newbie or recommended places to flap a lip over something good please let me know.   Please keep in mind I'm a 32 yr old , dad of a 3yr old and 10 month old twins , so we are a small zoo when we travel. 

Looking forward to sharing some photos of the trip with ya'll when I get our new ( 1960 ) bus home.

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »

just a word of advice.  if you haven't already done so, get a good roadside service before even thinking about moving that bus.  And get a goos spare if it does not have one...again, before even thinking about moving that bus.  And might want to make sure you have a gallon or 2 of oil with you, depending on how far you are going with it you might need some oil added before you get her home.  Not just any oil will do, get the right stuff.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:32:21 AM »

Mackinac Island is nice...Tiki RV park north of bridge is reasonable..pasport America park (St.Ignace)..will be cool this time of year...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »

Bill there is a really nice older busnut in the UP named Cody! He is super cool and would really enjoy seeing one of us busnuts up his way for a change as he usually has to come way south to see one!
He's on the west end of the UP in Baraga.
Look him up, give him a shout, maybe he'll fire up his old bird and meet you somewhere for an overnight camp-out or something!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »

Bill,
 Glad to see you found a bus and a 4104 to boot!!  Cool  Any pictures? From the year and the number one of the later 4104's. Where in Kansas are you?

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »

I went back over your recent posts and didn't find anything about this bus?  What can you tell about it?  I have to say, if you're not totally confident about the shape it's in you are a braver man than I am, bringing the in-laws and the kids on the first trip ever in the bus!  Man!  I would not want anyone to see me trying to figure out how to shift a 4 speed spicer for the very first time!  Maybe you have moreb experience that I did when i started out!

Congrats on the new bus, and my only advice is don't go anywhere near Chicago if you can help it!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

thomasinnv:
thanks for the words about roadside ins.  I intended on getting some extra oil from the detroit dealer after they service the engine.  As for the spare, it will have good tire installed just down the road from the Det. Dealer and I was going to address the spare at that time. 

BK:
I would love to meet a busnut while on the road. any contact info would be helpful, not sure how to find  his number on the site.

Rick59:
I live just west of Joplin Mo, couple miles E. off 69 hiway. I have tons of photos from the previous owner but I don't wanna show her off until I'm back home. 

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »

bevans6:
I would love to share all of the infomation and photos I have but not that type to start party'n until I'm cruising down the road , wife is in the catbird seat  & kids are scream'n for more cheerios.  I really don't have much experience with buses but have pretty solid mechanical background.
 As for the family going, there isn't anyone else I'd want with me even if it is a total failure.  I have a VERY tight knit family ( including the inlaws).   

In reference to Chicago, NO Way, it just makes my blood boil to think of the current political stuff brew'n in that town.   

The ole bus might try to whip me but she ain't gonna win.

Thanks for the reply
Bill

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »

Bill, you are not far from me, I am about 30 minutes south of Branson, there is another 4104 East of me at Ash Flat Arkansas,  maybe we can get together sometime and have a 4104 fest.
 Good luck on your trip to get it..
Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »

Rick59:
Sounds like fun.  If the purchase goes smooth I intend to run over to the Rally in Carthage Saturday afternoon.

thanks
Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »

Quote from: Bill in KS
BK:
I would love to meet a busnut while on the road. any contact info would be helpful, not sure how to find  his number on the site.

Bill try sending him a msg here on the board, I have a # but I don't like passing out #'s without permission except in emergencies!

Here is a link to him off the members list & it does have an email address. Wink
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?action=profile;u=1557
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »

Bill, We'll see ya at the Carthage rally! Can't wait to see it!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

BK: Thank you for the link, sent him an E.

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
cody

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »

Bill when are you coming thru?
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

Hi Bill,

Sept 23 - 26, a few of us will be getting together in Moose Lake Minnesota, which is just a few miles west of Wisconsin and about a 45 minute drive south of duluth Minnesota. We got the big lake, a great railroad museum, and some friendly bus nuts. If you can make it, we would like to meet you all, BTW, i have a 4104 and our friends have a Silverside.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: