Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 09:52:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking up the 4104 in N. MI and heading home, any suggested stops or sights ??  (Read 3581 times)
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

Cody:
I have an appt. @ Gaylord DD in the am on the 20th and then to the tire shop after they are done.  Probably be in the UP around the 22nd & 23rd. I honestly don't know how long we'll be in the Up Penn.  We intend to just see the sights and move at a snails pace. 

John Z:
Thanks for the invite, we'll see how the week rolls out.  I think the wife wants to go to the Great Mall, so we might not travel that far west.

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

Bill when are you coming thru?

Cody,
He doesn't say when he'd be over yer way, but he's gonna pick up the bus 311 miles SE of you on the 20th.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »

Bill if you plan to travel at a snails pace, you will be right along side Cody fer sure! He ain't fast, but he sure is a great guy!

And if you go by the MN gathering and then go straight south you'll be @ the MALL of America!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »

Ahhhhhhhh shuckssss
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »

Bill,

I second the motion on getting a good road emergency service. The cost of one service call will pay for a couple of years at the very least least and probably a lot more. Do not leave home without this, Good Sam and some others also cover all your other vehicles as well. You can't go wrong.

You have a lot of guts taking all those people on your very first 4104 outing. I would never have nerve enough to do that!!

I drove my 4104for  800 miles solo before ever taking the wife in it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »

Just an update from the computer lounge at the hotel in Gaylord MI:  Spent the last couple days have a tune up (adjust rack & set Gov.) / R&R oil / filter / R&R some coolant lines @ the detroit dealer.  Replaced 3 braided oil lines in the tire shop's parking lot & adjusted the free play in the clutch.  Had two new steer tires installed and replaced the drives with some nice caps.  Tires that were on the bus were 17 years old !!!

We plan to head out tomorrow and put the bus on the road.  I will update when I get home.

Big thanks to this forum, I have learned enough to be dangerous and gained some contacts and much needed knowledge.

Cody:  might give you a call when we get close, were are heading for the U.P. in the morning  Smiley

Bill in KS   

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
cody

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »

Bill, looks like we'll be heading for Marquette tomorrow so we'll be right in your flight path, marquette is about 70 miles east of us, the route I always take is US2 west from the the bridge to Blaney Park (65 miles) then north on M77 to Seney (16 miles) then west on US41/28 to shingleton (35 miles) continue on the same road to Munising about 10 miles further west then to Marquette another 40 miles, we can meet up there if you want libby's cell is nine oh six three nine five six one eight oh.  Libby has a doctors appointment at 2pm so we'll be in the area, looking forward to saying hi.
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

Cody:

It looks like we are heading to the bridge for a stop, then to the Soo Locks in Marie then on to White fish point.   From White Fish Pt. to Muninsing.   Muninsing to Silver City.  It would be around Friday when we'll be in your area.  I will give you a call when we are heading that way.

thanks
Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »

Bill -

FYI, the procedure for adjusting the clutch starts up front, under the driver's seat in the exterior compartment.  It's not just the little wheel back in the engine room - there's a whole lot more!  Should have about 1" of free-play at the pedal.  All this is outlined in the shop manual.

If you haven't already, you might find reading this helpful:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/12262/16204.html?1167073154

Whatever you do, DON'T LUG IT!!!  Good way to burn up a Detroit 2-stroke quickly.  Drive it like you just slammed your hand in the door and that old 6-71 will be a happy camper.

Remember - STRAIGHT 40wt, CF-2, 1% or less sulfated ash oil in the engine.  DO NOT USE MULTI-WEIGHT!!!   Chevron Delo 100, Exxon/Mobile XD-3, and Shell Rotella are three popular brands.  Usually not sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart, easiest is thru a local petroleum distributor.  Hopefully the DD shop used the right oil - sometimes they forget!

FYI, PD4104-4797 was delivered new as fleet number P-7624 to Western Greyhound Lines, based out of San Francisco, CA.  It was part of an 84-bus order delivered between May and July of 1960.  Since it's near the end of the VIN's for that order, most likely it was middle-late June when it left the factory.  WGL took very good care of their equipment back in those days, and usually sold them off after the summer peak season, 10 years after originally being purchased.  Thus, this coach most likely worked it's way up & down CA until 1970.

You can now rightfully say that you've got a "retired Greyhound bus!"

Oh, and remember Aesop's Fable about "The Tortoise and The Hare?"  You've got the Tortoise.  Keep that in mind as you cruise along, and everyone will be happy.  Try to be the Hare, and you'll just get frustrated.

Congratulations on your purchase of a rugged old workhorse!  May you enjoy many, many (s)miles with it!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
cody

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »

Bill while in Munising, check out the shipwrecks, the bay is littered with old ones and they use glass bottomed boats to tour them.  Also after you leave munising, you'll go thru marquette and onto L'Anse and around the head of Keweenaw Bay on your way to Ontonagan and Silver City, at the head of the bay you'll pass within 100 ft of my daughters house where we'll be sitting, right at the top of the hill in Baraga, home phone here is nine oh six three five three eight seven nine seven.
JohnVickrey

1960 PD 4104-4541

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 06:14:01 AM »

Cody,
We'll also be close to your neighborhood sometime next week.  The Wife wants to look for rocks at Pictured Rocks.  Any suggestions on where to go and what to see at Pictured Rocks??  The only schedule we have is to be in Ft. Leavenworth, KS on or about the first of Oct.   

Bill in KS,
If you are rockhounds, Whitefish point has been cleaned out.  All the good rocks are in the bay of our bus Angry.  Spent last week near White Fish Point at a friends house in the middle of no where.  It rained most of the time we were there.  It is indeed a pretty place, got some good pictures.   

John Vickrey   -   Dearing, GA
About 2 hours East of ATL on I-20 and 4 miles south of I-20.
Got Electricity and Water for 4-5 coaches.  Less that a mile to a
dumpstation.  Stop by and sit a spell.
cody

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 06:26:22 AM »

Pictured rocks is pretty much a boat trip, high cliffs of colored and banded stone, very pretty but hard to get too, west of there on our area there are miles of beaches for rock picking, you can look for agates on the lake shore and find nice ones in the quarter sized ares or you can hit the big huron river where the mother load is and try to pry out some in the 500 to 1000 pound sizes lol.  big chunks of float copper are hauled out now and then, they just loaded an 80,000 pound one onto a sand bank and got it on display, it's kind of a big chunk of pure copper, the COE are trying to figure out how to get one off the bottom of the lake thats the size of an aircraft carrier, the 80,000 pound one is a chip off the big one.
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »

We are are home !!  She never missed a beat !!

Cody:  kids started getting wild and I started heading the bus south at Munising and never let off the throttle.  We intend to go back to the UP , our " pictured rocks " tour was cancelled due to rough water.  Wife had her heart set on seeing those rocks.

RJ:  Thanks for all of the information. 

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »

Hey Bill,
   Glad to hear you made the trip with no problems.
 Now how about a picture or 2??
Rick
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:03:48 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
cody

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »

Thats ok bill, we'll catch up on the road, the UP will always be here and we kinda wander around a little from time to time too, just glad no major malfunctions hit, it's always a gamble until you get to know the old beast a little better and that goes for the bus too lol.  Maybe we can connect at the MACC next summer, thats an incredible week and one the kids will enjoy, if they play any instruments I can get them onstage for childrens night, it'll give them bragging rights at school lol.  Muscians Against Childhood Cancer, it's a benefit for St Judes each july in columbus ohio, great bunch of people and all well known performers.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: