Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 10:05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blower gear box oil  (Read 2262 times)
revbusnut

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »

I have a MC 8 1975 the radiator blower gear box was low on oil.  What oil does it take?  Gear oil or tranny fluid or Huh?? Thanks.  Revbusnut
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 05:22:41 PM »

The service book for a 79 5C calls for SAE 30 motor oil. Clarke did an informative post on this and it seems they reccomended 30 wt becuse it is eaisely available! So I use SAE 40, becuse I carry it with me!!!!
                                                                                                        Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:22:28 AM »

I run straight 40w in my 96A3.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »

Hi there Revbusnut,

How did you realize the  radiator blower gear box was low on oil?  I'm just showing my ignorance here.  It sounds like something I should be checking.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:00:18 AM »

Phil,

There's supposed to be a level check sight glass window on the box, next to the belt pulley. Here's a couple photos. The sight glass is the tube on the left in the first photo.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:11:23 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:31:16 AM »

Craig - I learn so much from your posts! 

Thank you for the great explanation and pictures.  That is my mission tonight - checking that out, learning something new.  It may save me some $$$ too.

Then - back to my new "under the counter tree limb lights"   Grin

Best Regards, Phil

steamguy56

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 08:32:12 AM »

Craig I too would like to thank you for your most informative site. More than a few times I have used it for reference. On my shop table(after much cleaning) are the blowers. Hope they turn out as good as the ones above
                                   Danny
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:34:57 AM »

Spiffy Radiater compartment there gumpy!

oops, there goes the Bus envy Cheesy

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »

FWIW.......

My MC5A has a Spicer crash box and the book sez use 40# oil...the same as the engine.  I don't have any idea how long it's been sinece it was changed but when I recently pulled the engine I asked my mechanic to drain the Tranny and replace the oil with 50#
Racing oil.   I'm a happy camper.  I feel I'm taking advantage of the better lubricity of the weight and the composition of the oil and I'm not "Crashing" the gears as I once was.

Now, to the blower drive. I know mine needs resealing but I'm up to my ears in alligators right now so it's going to have to wait until this winter when I get to FL.  I'm going to try the same reasoning and drain and refill it with the 50# Racing oil.  What have I got to lose?

I will report back if it lessens the leaking but after resealing it I will still use the 50# oil. Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 07:25:58 PM »

Gump, very nice looking blowers!  Are those the "large capacity" blowers?  I've never seen blowers that go thru the blower box floor?   Remotely remember reading something about them. 
Are the blowers OEM in your coach or did you retrofit them?  I'll have to go back to your website...I remember you describing the rebuilding of the units.   
I run 40 weight in my gearbox...same as the engine.   I've got a RH seal seeping.  Only added oil once in 5 years. 
BTW Gump, you better check your water level...you got some hoses that fell off!   Wink
JR
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:29:27 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »

Yeah, those are the original blowers. I think the smaller ones were mostly on the older MC8s. Not sure if they were on any early 9s.

I put a smaller diameter pulley on and new cones. The housings on the blowers are new, also, as my old ones were pretty corroded.

The compartment looked nice when the photos were taken. It's not so nice now, after several thousand miles with lots of rain, dust, snow and salt. I should have sprayed the pipes after I shined them up. They've all turned green now. I'm planning to replace all the rubber hoses soon, and may go through the shine process again, and this time will clearcoat them.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 07:38:10 PM »

Hmm.  Craig must be mistaken - I'm looking at my blowers - no site guage. 

Oh well.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:40:51 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »

What is that greasy blob?  Let's clean it up...  Hey - a site guage.. And it's empty..   Angry   

Craig was right - again.    Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:46:27 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 07:51:44 PM »

Using straight 40# oil.    Filling it up.  Looks a bit dirty - guess I have to drain & re-fill?

Another problem averted thanks to fellow busnuts on the MAK board.  Awesome.

Thank you Craig, Brian, Jim and other contributers to this thread.

Kind Regards, Phil

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:54:06 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »

Hi Phil,
Craig's always right!
Regarding your blower gearbox, you may want to remove the belt and check the "feel" of the gears and bearings in your gear box.  To easily remove the belt, air up the bus and turn the knob next to the belt tensioning cylinder and the cylinder will retract....allowing the belt to almost fall off.  Then you can feel what you have.  You don't want to have the box fail out in Lower BF...that would be a show-stopper for sure.   If it still feels smooth, probably OK.  Where did the oil go?  You probably have a side shaft seal leaking.  Check for play in the blower and pully shaft too.  May find why it's leaking...?  
If it's actually dry...it may overfilled and you cannot see the oil level line.....you may have damage inside the gearbox.  
Nope....just saw the clean pix...it's very low! Shocked
JR     
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:54:25 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: