Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 03:59:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blower gear box oil  (Read 2328 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 08:02:55 PM »

Hi JR,

Thanks for additional troubleshooting help.  I may actually know what I am doing some day.  HaHa!!

I will indeed try the "feel" test via belt removal. 

It didn't seem like the gearbox was dry.  I would approximate that it took about 1/4 quart to bring up the site guage to the 1/2 site level.  Unless of course, that was what it take to bring it from  empty to full   Undecided   I don't know the gearbox capacity.   I can check my manual tomorrow for this.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 06:10:25 AM »

I don't recall for sure, but it seems like it took more than a quart to fill from empty. If yours only took a 1/4 of a quart, you should be fine. Obviously, there's a small leak somewhere, probably shaft seals. That's why there's oil and grime all over the sight glass and under the gearbox.

Now you know how to check it. You should be opening up that compartment before starting every time, anyway, to check the water level, so keeping the blower gearbox sight glass clear will be one more thing to do.

BTW, nice photo on your initial search for the sight glass. If you hadn't been told there was a sight glass there somewhere, you'd have never known. It looked just like the head of a bolt or plug. That's how many older bus sight glasses are, and the reason many owners don't know how to check the level of the oil in the gearbox. If there are no leaks, the owner/mechanic gets out of the habit of checking (because it's uneventful). Unfortunately, when a leak develops, it's not obvious because the sight glass is crusted over with grime. Don't let yourself get into the habit of ignoring it.

Oh, and JR, Craig's not ALWAYS right, and he'll be the first one to tell you so.

Wink

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 10:56:46 AM »

Hi all,

I wish that we could put sound bites in here.
Mine would be of feet running out the door every time I read a post that points out another way to check on the ol' bus.
Thanks for the heads up!!!
Devin

by the way, what is the gauge that is mounted to the remote control box. Mine is pretty busted up.

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 03:55:46 PM »

Devin, Its  a mechanical water temp gauge. I added a mech engine oil pressure gauge beside it also. The main thing that these do is gives you a system of checking the accuracy of the dash "electrical" gauges........of course,the logic is that the mech gauge is more accurate.  HTH chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 07:16:16 PM »

90wt gear oil.      DO NOT OVER FILL IT WILL BLOW OIL TO KINGOM COME!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: