Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 05:02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling through Utah US-6 & US 191  (Read 1115 times)
bcaddel

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »

I need to plan our route to the Texas Bus Roundup in Durant Oklahoma (our first rally). We have driven from Reno to Texas numerous times but we have never taken the south route from Salt Lake Utah down towards Amarillo Texas (US-6 and US-191). I have a pretty good hunch that this is some beautiful country but are there any issues with a bus on these highways/mountain passes? We have crossed the Sierras and Rockies lots of times but usually on the Interstate. (we do have Jake brakes and love them) plus our brakes were all serviced a couple months back including $500 for a rebuilt dd3 ouch! We are heading out Saturday the 25th and plan on maybe 2 days in Utah.

Has anyone crossed the Hoover Dam recently? Are there any issues with (unloaded) firearms in the bus? I understand there is a pretty complete inspection of RVs. We will be taking this route on the return trip.

Thanks For any Input
Bob

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »

Bob, just been across the dam in Basil's Eagle, no worries as a private coach. They are looking for Exsplosives. A visual inspection is all that is required as per the Federal Park Police, pop open a couple of bays, maybe a quick walk thru the interior and you are on your way! The horror stories one might hear, such as having to remove holding tanks  Shocked and the like are simply not true!

Being a hiway rider myself, I can only recommend a straight run to Vegas, then onto Kingman,Az and I-40 East bound, others I am sure will offer up a more scenic route to enjoy. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your selves on your trip. The coffee pot is always full and the light is always on for any bus nut passing through Boulder City over the damn. Smiley

Van 702-664-4265

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »

Bob, there is pretty much nothing on 6 but between I 70 and I 40 on 191 you will enjoy that drive you can spend weeks in that area and plenty of parks both state and federal nice and cool at night this time of the year.
 In some areas of Utah on 191 the private parks with full hookups are cheaper than the state and feds parks BTW there is a good homemade ice cream shop in Moab it puts Cold Stone way down on my list
As Van said Hoover is not a problem depending on the backup sometimes they just wave you through.

Good luck and drive safe

Life is short drink the good wine first
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »

Thanks Van

I was a little concern about the inspection but it appears it will not be an issue. We will be coming through Boulder City on the return trip probably Friday the 8th of Oct. If we have any spare time we might give you a shout.

Luvrbus
What is the name of that ice cream shop or how can I find it. I can make some big points with Momma if I make that stop. I was thinking it should be some pretty dramatic scenery in that area from stuff I have seen on TV but I just never had a reason take that route. Thanks for the confirmation as well as the indication that the roads are not too narrow, steep or tough cut backs. I dont plan to get far of the highway due to time so we should have a nice pleasent scenic trip.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »

Bob, my wife couldn't recall the name but she did say it was a seaonal shop that it closes after labor day, 2 other places there you need to try 1 Crystals Cup Cakes they make their own cones and cup cakes and for a good meal try the Moab Diner breakfast is around 5 bucks with real ham, their banana split was good I think they use Russell ice cream there.
If you like ice cream load the bus with Blue Bell when you get to Texas that is good stuff

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »

Sorry to hear we will miss the really good ice cream shop. That Blue Bell is good stuff and the folks (Plainview Texas) always have it when ever we show up. I have become partial to a little home made concation I do with home made ice cream. It is our regular home made vanilla ice cream but I put in a cup of Vodka. It freezes up just like normal and taste just like vanilla ice cream but somehow the conversation that follows is always just a little more lively and enjoyable.... I am kind of a quite shy guy but after a couple of servings of home made ice cream I usually fit right in...

If anyone ends up at the Texas Bus Roundup stop by the "COZY BUS" and have a serving.

Bob

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »

Save me some! Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »

We did US 50 out of Ely NV, drove through Holden, Scipio, down to Aurora, then on UT 24 south to Torrey to Hanksville.  We turned south on UT95 and picked up US 191 to Blanding to Motecello, then on into Cortez CO.  This was an outstanding route through Capitol Reef NP.  Lots to see and many places to stop.  I want to do this route again someday.

From there you have Durango.  I recommend United Campground if still open for the season.  You can head east on US160 or south on US550 to get to Texas.  I've done both ways in the bus.  I prefer US160 which takes you over Wolf Creek Pass.  Much more to see.  You head south at Walsenburg and east on US87.  One of my favorite drives is between Raton and Clayton driving through the National Grasslands.  It is like a beautiful painting.  Stop at Capulin Volcanic Monument.  I drove my Eagle to the top of that volcano.  The park ranger cleared the traffic for me since I took up BOTH lanes scaling the mountain Shocked.  Made me feel important. 

The south route out of Durango has less to see and you spend a lot of time on I-40. 

Have a great trip.  I wish I could caravan with you.

David

I
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

David
You sure do make the route you took sound interesting. It is the same distance for us going I-80 to Salt Lake or taking 50 through Nevada (the loneliest road in the US). But the Utah part of your trip sound like one we would enjoy very much. Since Luvrbus said the ice cream shop is closed in Moab, we just might follow your route through the mid section of Utah. Since we live in Nevada we probably should suffer through highway 50 at least once just to see how lonely it is.

Our bus is in pretty good condition (for being 40 yrs old) but it does get a little hot on long steep climbs did you have any problems with heating on your trip? You said you wanted to do the trip again, feel free to load up and join us. I think Dreamscape can find room for one more at his Texas Bus Roundup and we would love to have a caravan headed that way.

Thanks a lot for your input and we likely will follow your trail through Utah.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:17:32 PM by bcaddel - COZY BUS » Logged

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »

Hey Bob, Glad you are about to head out! Did someone mention Blue Bell! Cool Some of the best stuff made on planet earth, my wife has me hooked!

You guys have a safe and fun trip, sounds like you are getting good advice!

See y'all in a few days!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »

Since we live in Nevada we probably should suffer through highway 50 at least once just to see how lonely it is.

Our bus is in pretty good condition (for being 40 yrs old) but it does get a little hot on long steep climbs did you have any problems with heating on your trip? You said you wanted to do the trip again, feel free to load up and join us. I think Dreamscape can find room for one more at his Texas Bus Roundup and we would love to have a caravan headed that way.

Thanks a lot for your input and we likely will follow your trail through Utah.

Bob
Yes, we fought heat from Carson City to Torrey UT, but that was before I got my new fan for my Eagle.  Those days are gone for me now.

US 50 is like being on the moon.  I was driving along with no one for miles when all of the sudden an F16 strafed me head on.  My wife didn't see it, but heard it.  She thought our engine blew up.  It really woke me up.  Not a lot for those air force guys to see out there in that desert.  I was a big target.

The picture below says it all Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: