Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:29:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats the best bus shell to convert?  (Read 1899 times)
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

I was wondering with our collective knowledge, what would be the allaround best bus shell to convert?
My thoughts would be the MCI 9 or the 102 3A because of the availability, the prices, the larger amount of ss in the body.
I still need an education as to if the 8/71 in a 102 would be still a simple engine or if certain years might be preferable IE; cal laws detuning or electronic brains or mechanical updates that didn't work out well...or even others that did.I like a 8/71 T because it seems to be tougher than the 92s and able to take more abuse.
So what would be your best, most reliable,affordable,simplest powerful engine/trany/ bus shell for your dream bus?

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »

Affordable and reliable are contrdictory to each other.  The most affordable shells are not likely to be reliable.

My choice in a shell other than new would either be an Eagle or a Dina like I have.  I originally bought my Dina because it had a Series 60 with B500 and was reasonably priced.  I've grown to really like the torsion suspension which is why I would buy a Dina or Eagle again.  I don't like the idea of blocking up a bus or worrying about a bad air bag.

(Brief interlude:  I had the opportunity recently to see what happens to an older S&S when an air bag goes down.  The frame was hitting the ground in that corner.  Luckily, a mechanic was able to fix the air bag enough so they could at least limp home.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »

Each and everyone have their advantages..I'm om my second prevost..I like the frame better than the MCI 8 I had previous..Because I  like slides and they are easy on a bus with a frame like prevost..other wise the engines transmission combo are available in most brands..has a lot to do with what look you like..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »

this is for fun only...I cannot and will not own 2 buses ( at a time)...   Was there a 102 a3 or b3 (i like shiney) made with a 8/71 t w/ Al.740 made in the 90s???

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »

yes I have two buses.prob not sane! but had chance to buy salvage shell cheap..it is a 98 prevost xle..have a 60 series and a Eaton 10 spd autoshift..will have 3 slides(does) looking forward to maybe 9mpg instead of 5..looking to be a 20,000dollar total cost project..so now I have 2 until new one is done.don't have to be in hurry for have one to use..I have a 8v92 in the 89 and did have a 8v71 in the MCI much more power with 8V92..the silver version is tough..also one reason the xle comes with the roof already raised..happy bussing   I would be really surprised to find a 8v71 in 90's as the 6v92 basically replaced it.  Bob

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

I personally like the 102C3 with its' 6'10" headroom and very large windows.  The 8V-71T is a rare bird.  Either the 6V or 8V-92TA will do a good job for you-just keep an eye on the coolant.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »

It seems when you gain in ceiling height, you loose in bay height and for anyone that conciders a table saw a part of a tool box, bay height is critical, so it's iggles for me.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »

The answer is soooooo close!

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=17466.0

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »

A Eagle is by far the easiest to convert you can lengthen, shorten, install different windshields,level the floor,install slides,make a 102 wide from a 96 inch wide,raise the roof,change the type siding and install different engines( that turn in the right direction lol) and power trains and compared to most buses it is a easy task with a cutting torch, extra tubing and a wire welder they are so easy to work on as most of the parts are off the shelf they ride the best of any bus on the market you park a Eagle overnight and it will be the same height the next morning .
Don't sell a Eagle short they are great buses after owning different brands I loved my Eagle,
fwiw when Greyhound owned MCI and Eagle one brand had to go and they choose the Eagle because the MCI was easier and cheaper to manufacture it was all the bottom line for Dial Soap.
Same with Volvo and Blue Bird Volvo wanted it gone because it hurting sell of the Prevost and their transit sales so they bought it and sold off parts of it and now it is gone   
As good of a product as S/S is it does get brittle over the years and breaks I have replaced it over the years

good luck
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:19:56 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:16:04 AM »

I have no experience with Eagles..they are sharp looking! My choice was from what was available to me..that said you get down to it -what look do you like? how much importance is fuel economy?rather run up hills fast?parts support and availability..repair help or service availability ? you will find like cars each has advantages..and give and take compromises..price vs features: so the scale of decision making is Individual.  might as well get one of each then let us know which one was best!!   Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: