Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:30:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Water Disposal  (Read 6832 times)
Kenny

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »

Is it legal to dump grey water on top of the ground? Possibly connect to a pump / garden hose and water the grass. When on the road, is it OK in some palces and not OK in other places? Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

Some places it is legal here in the desert the golf course close to the house uses gray water to water the course big signs on every green "DO NOT LICK YOUR BALLS" 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »

Some places it is legal here in the desert the golf course close to the house uses gray water to water the course big signs on every green "DO NOT LICK YOUR BALLS"  
good luck

Oh shoot Clifford, that hurt! As I was spitting my coffee everywhere I turned my chair over laughing so hard my sides hurt! ( I was literally ROFLMAO! Wink )
Now I gotta go get a damp rag and wipe off the monitor and every thing else I soaked with coffee!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »

On the left side I have the normal dump valves.  On the right side in front of the rear tires I have another dump with slide valve that dumps onto the ground (no hose hookup).  If I'm by a street drain, or a dirt lot, can dump the gray water.  Very handy.  This is the main reason for having a two tank system.  My 45 gal black tank goes close to two weeks before we have to dump it.  Not so with the gray tank.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »

Man Clifford, Mom thought I lost it when I spit my coffee over the balcony lol, No towel for me though, Boo is lapping it up right now. Always made me wonder why they sold so much chap stick at the G courses!  Grin Grin

Same thing happened yesterday, when we pulled up and saw that Beautiful Blue Eagle for sale on the way to Zion Park Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »

Don't dump anything in a Forest Service CG. You could get cited, FWIW

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »

I intend to put both the stinky slinky type valve and a regular valve onthr new gray tank.  That way we can get rid if it anywhere.  I know in the state parks and fed parks they will get a little ticked at you fir dumping anything.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »

Golly Clifford, I almost lost it!  Tongue

We have one tank, and have a diverter for all gray to dump on the ground. I haven't used it because we haven't had the opportunity. I do know it works though! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

good luck
Clifford i live on the third green, my lot runs right to the concrete cart path so next time i see a golfer wiping his tongue and i am cutting grass I'm blaming the crooked lines on you. Grin Grin Plus diet coke is hard to get off the key board Tongue
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:01:52 PM by longjohn » Logged

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:42 PM »

There are quite a few golf courses that use reclaimed, (treated) water from sewage treatment plants. Of course they have to be near a treatment plant to be able to do this. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

Actually, I think all of the golf courses in the Palm Springs area use recycled water, but that does not mean you can dump untreated gray water.  I know that some dry campgrounds allow it, but you probably should ask first.  Lots of people try to use some gray water, like from the washing machine to drain onto their lawns or gardens, but it is most likely illegal in coded areas.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »

good luck

Are you kidding me?  You are kidding me, right?  I am scratching parts of myself that I have not seen in at least five years, but licking them, well, you are kidding me, aren't you?

BCO

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »

We installed a diverter valve for our shower. Since the shower is the largest producer of grey water, diverting it almost triples our TBD (time between dumps).  We stay quite a bit at friends and fellow busnuts places and most allow us to dump our shower water. We alway ask first.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »

So could one legally pull into a rest area and simply water the grass or being parked over a street storm drain simply drop a hose and let it go? How does one know when and where it is legal to do this? Or does one just be decrete about it? Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

Some rest areas have rv dumps, use those. Some cities and towns are very strict about what goes into storm drains, could be big fines if caught! If in doubt don't do it, better yet just find an rv dump somewhere and never have to worry about it.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »

Kenny, I have no idea where you live but I see signs in rest areas in west TX where they ask you to use the gray water for the grass.
A city owned RV park in Iraan Tx ask you do the same to keep cost down they need it 12 bucks a night for 50 amp service ,cable,water and sewer that is cheap along with being a very nice park think about it saves water
I am sure big brother in some areas would not allow it, this will start a good one but I carry a manhole lid hook with me and have just pulled the cover at W/M and dumped done it for years
I really don't accomplished much as then I need water anyway 95% of the W/Ms will let you fill if you ask the guys in the TBA section

good luck.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:41:11 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »

We have stayed at campgrounds that don't have sewer connections a couple of times where the travel trailer next to us opened their grey water valve slightly to drain on the ground. No hose to get the water away from the unit. The last time was in June. The trailer had a family of two adults and four kids so there was a lot of water going on the ground. The temperature was in the low 90s during the day and man did that grey water stink. If we encounter that situation again we will either move, or if there are no other sites available, we will leave the campground. You have to understand that the grey water in this situation did not soak away or evaporate because we had the wetest summer on record here. In the desert I wouldn't expect to have the same problem. Personally, I choose not to dump grey water anywhere other than a sewer. YMMV
Good luck, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

Spreading it over a large & unused area (where it can evaporate quickly or soak into the ground) might work, but if it stays wet & on the surface, the odors can be awful. There are valid reasons why it is not encouraged in crowded areas.

Discharging grey water on the ground in the campsite is nasty. Anyone who has experienced being on the down hill side understands from experience.
Far too many are inconsiderate of their fellow camper- be it a neighbor or the next guy to use the site after you leave.

I probably won't say anything about someone using a garden hose to drain it into the bushes, ditch, woods, etc.
However, I will not tolerate someone dumping their grey water in such a way that it runs thru my camp site. (I'll move or put a stop to it - or both.  Wink )

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »

It is best to dump in an approved dump site with the fee getting higher each day I am afraid you will see more and more illegal dumping, very few rest area have dumping now because of the toxic haulers dumping there what a shame not long ever rest area in NM and Texas had dump station now only a very few and they have cameras on those.In our travels this summer we noticed some of the National and state owned campgrounds had dump stations with a 5 dollar fee all about the money they never had fees before

good luck
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:08:40 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »

Quote from: kyle4501
I probably won't say anything about someone using a garden hose to drain it into the bushes, ditch, woods, etc.
However, I will not tolerate someone dumping their grey water in such a way that it runs thru my camp site. (I'll move or put a stop to it - or both.  Wink )

Hmm, just have yer daughter reroute it into their fresh water! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

This is my set up to divert shower water:

I works real good and I can reach the hose to out of the way places. I just have to turn off the big red handled ball valve and turn open the small, black hose valve. It only diverts shower water. I can't say that I have ever smelled anything bad after I used it, even if I was there for awhile. Might be that it never gets stagnate before it's absorbed.

Just thought I'd share.
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »

It is relevant to remember that gray water is contaminated water.  I have heard of gray water recycling systems for homes that water the garden with buried pipes so the contaminants are not on the surface.  If you use gray water to surface irrigate some plants, at least you can justify it by saying the water is of use and will dissipate quickly.  If you just dump gray water on the ground, it creates a sewer situation, not a black water sewer, but one still well populated with bacteria, etc.  It really can be a health hazard for yourself and others.   You wouldn't want to be near a pool of hospital gray water.  Anyone's could be just as bad.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »

we try to be considerate of our neighbors anywhere we might dump, and we have dripped grey out on long stays, like flywheeler's in florida.  you can also drip out in orlando at the fair grounds, per the rally instructions.  we have dumped in out of the way places like barnyards, but walmart's and malls we don't usually do, unless we really need to and it's raining pretty hard to wash it away.  $5 ain't much for a black dump.  flying J has signs posted for $10, which i would gladly pay if i don't fill up and needed to dump.

dumping while next to someone, or dripping heavily.  no way would i do it or tolerate it.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »

That's why i have mine set up with a garden hose. I can let it drain in spaces where it 99.9999% of the time won't hurt anyone/anything, and possibly even help the vegetation. Just makes sense and I'm sure it is fine in most situations as long as people are respectful and "think". It's the dumb*ss's that ruin it for all.
People just need to "care".

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

okay , on the lighter side sounds like a good source of water for you guys who have a engine heating problem and run a radiator mister system.

Just run a diverter valve to your pump, all the coolant you need, plus probably no tailgaters if you crank up the flow!!!! Grin

ED
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:41:55 PM by Ed Brenner » Logged

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »

okay , on the lighter side sounds like a good source of water for you guys who have a engine heating problem and run a radiator mister system.

Just run a diverter valve to your pump, all the coolant you need, plus probably no tailgaters if you crank up the flow!!!! Grin

ED

Ed,
Might sound like a good source at first, but not sure I'd want it around my radiators!
And I dang sure hope I never have to work on it after using it on a good hot day! PEE-EW Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: