Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 05:32:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: somebody save this bus  (Read 4100 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »

I found it searching around on craigslist, dont know the people but WOW  http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/1915909051.html

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

That is a neat find..I wonder how much of a greenhouse effect the roof windows would have? I have always thought the Crown Buses were a good looking bus, if closer I would be interested.. This bus would make a great mobile studio..I do jewelry and engraving with the overhead windows the natural lighting would be great.
Rick
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:10:54 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »

That is a neat find..I wonder how much of a greenhouse effect the roof windows would have? I have always likes the lines on the Crown Buses, if closer I would be interested..
Rick
With heavy tint it might be ok, thats a cool lookin bus

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »

i got a 57 crown but that skyview is way cool  john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »

here is the perfect toad for it

http://www.mpasvw.com/images/tim1.jpg

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Kevin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »

Indeed the perfect toad!

I had my heart set on a Crown Super Coach but couldn't find a 35 footer. The local school transportation agency auctioned off some 40 footers some years back for a "song".

I wanted to stay a maximum of 35' in order to legally (California) tow a 26' foot sailboat. Haven't had that boat on the bus near as much as I'd originally dreamed, but enough for sure. Anyway, no regrets with the GM '04. I like the air ride and the ample storage.

Still, the Crown is a beaut!

"To the gov!!!"
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »

Yaeh, I will bet the school kids baked in this! I guess that's why so few were made. But for an RV the windows could be tinted and some could be covered with a sliding thing like a sunroof in a car has.

Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »

Very interesting.   I wonder what the cognoscenti at Crown Coach Junkies will make of this one.   I vaguely remember someone there mentioning some rubbernecker Crown tour buses that had been converted to school use  -  maybe this is one of them.   Crown would sometimes rebuild older buses to newer specs, so it can be tricky to determine the original build of older Crowns.   What intrigues me is the engine  -  "235 slant 6 Cummins diesel motor".   I guess he means 235 HP, either a pancake 743 Cummins NHH, or maybe the big-cam 855  -  I think it's not a true slant, otherwise it wouldn't fit under the frame rails.

I used to ride in old Bristol MW buses in England that had similar roof windows, and in even an English summer they could turn into an oven inside;  in winter the old perished rubber window seals would let in so much water that one elderly lady would simply open her umbrella inside, much to the chagrin of the other passengers.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 02:13:48 AM »

Here's a pic of a Bristol MW that was mentioned, for comparison. Bigger windows and not as curvy at the back, but basically quite similar to the Crown. The Bristol isn't as long as the Crown (probably 30 feet rather than 35), but it is an inner-city bus (what you would call a Transit) rather than a long-distance coach that I assume the Crown was

As it happens the Bristol in this photo was built in in the same year as the Crown in the original post, so they really are distant cousins:

When looking for this picture I came across a website of a guy who is restoring one - for those interested see: http://classicbristolbuses.thornet.co.uk/mybus.html

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:37 AM »

Nice looking bus in that photo there. Overseas built buses are a whole different game as far as builders, specs. and history. The British were/are not known for outstanding quality as you stated with window leaks but they sure built some interesting buses over there that's for sure. That website looks interesting.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:55:47 AM »

a few more crown pics there so cool the roof glass has sliding panels for the sun  crown/ john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:24:17 AM »

That is a neat find..I wonder how much of a greenhouse effect the roof windows would have?  the overhead windows the natural lighting would be great.
Rick

Rick,

My 4905 has two of the three astrolights still in it, one was covered over when I bought it.

I really like them for the natural light, even when you have the blinds drawn for privacy.

The only downside is the heat as you said, I tinted them to reflect the UV rays and they are 100% better.

The amount of skylights on the crown would require tons of a/c to stay cool, even when stopped in the direct sun.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »

Not surprisingly, some of the CCJ folk know all about this bus.   It was delivered November 1959 to San Fransisco Gray Line, then Brock Bus Lines of Glendale CA converted it to use for school service.   It ran as a school bus for a couple years, and it ran Dodger charters in the 1970s, before the CHP red tagged it.   Brock (one of the more "interesting" bus operators in Southern California at that time) painted over the silversides with NSBY and added the red flasher lights, but didn't change the door or remove the skyliner windows, thus the reason the CHP didn't like it.   Brock got away with it at first because it was assumed it came that way from the factory!

Jeremy, that Royal Blue MW is just like what Eastern Counties ran on their rural bus routes after they had been retired from coach service.   I can still remember the gruff sound of the venerable 5-cylinder Gardner 5LW and the whine of the gears.   Slow, but they would always get through even when the roads were icy or covered in thick snow.   Wonderful old buses.

John
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:02:07 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:46 PM »

over on the crown group found out this was a san fransico gray lines bus when sold it was used as a school bus thats why
it has the upper lights john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:41 AM »

This bus in not far from me if anyone seriously whats more pix or information.  I know nothing about Crowns, but could look.  It has been advertised for a long time.

Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: