Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:53:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the bus/coach converters gone ???  (Read 1498 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

I recently purchase a dozen of early 90's BCM magazines on Ebay and while reading through them it seemed that at that time everyone and his uncle was some sort of bus/coach converter. The mag then even seemed to have a lot more compaired to the new issues. How many of these converters are still around and have survived. Some examples of ones I found were Wildfang, Custom Land Yachts, B&B Coach Works, Chino Motor Coach, Ramblin Fever, Wilson Custom Coach, Dakota Coach LTD, Dixieland Conversions and many more. Just curious as to where many went.  Grin Grin

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »

On that list B&B and he is struggling only 3 Prevost converters left now Marathon was selling 60 units a year and they are down to 7 so far this year with tons of repos unit for sale
.FWIW John Deere Credit has a 140 high end conversions for sale according to the sales letter I received from Deere this month tough market for converters now most buyer are like me no money and afraid to spend what they do have 

good luck.

Life is short drink the good wine first
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »

The bus conversion business is a tough row to hoe. Folks had more money back then.

I spoke with Gary today. B&B is still here.
Ramblin' Fever is out of business.
I don't know about the others.

I think some of the following probably happened:

Some folks just got older and no longer do it.

These boards make it a lot easier for novices to convert their own.

The economy is such that there are a glut of converted coaches on the market for a fraction of what you could get for a newly converted coach. That is a lot of competition. The cost of fuel is prohibitive to many potential buyers.

Passengers demand new coaches now. That causes a lot of late model buses to be available now for next to nothing. Good news for the home converter.

There's probably many other things that caused the market for converters to collapse.

Maybe there's a limit to how many '57 Chevys' the market will absorb.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:34:41 PM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:35:36 PM »

Vantare/featherlite has new 09 stock 1,585,000list offered to me 900,000...I didn't and don't have it .just ask what it would take to buy it..they were laid off 12 yrs back in seniority. just trying to survive..they do a lot of nascar coaches. Midwest Coach went out last winter;that's where the 98 I'm doing came from..pd less than scrap price for it..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »

No more Featherlite Bob they sold Vantare out to a lawnmower manufacture

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »

when I was there in march they were trying to keep doors open..day to day.lot of good people lost jobs..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »

Millenium Coach in Sanford Fl is booming according to their Facebook threads and they have moved into the old Featherlite building making them one of the high end converters at a high end price! Nelson has made the company grow from a little company to what it is today!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »

Larry and crew at Paradise Coach Interiors in Coburg, Oregon are still going strong.  He gets all my business.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:12 AM »

http://www.celebritycoaches.com/coaches.asp

Superior conversions did most of these they are in Tenn and there are also quite a few others there....lurking..waiting things out

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: