Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives?  (Read 7110 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »

Recently I asked for input on neat museums that people knew of around the country and got an amazing response. Tonight I was watching the show of the title of my post on the Food network and got to thinking, what neat food places are people aware of around the country where they like to eat and can recommend?
Here are the rules:
1) I don't need to hear that you don't stop anywhere to eat and only eat in your bus or at home, I'm not dropping in to eat.
2) No corporate restaurants! McDonalds, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel etc does not count, I'd like to get a list of really cool, quirky and good mom and pop style diners, drive-ins and dives.

Thanks for any and all input!

-Dave  

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »

You need to divide this into at least states??

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »

I agree but first I need something to divide. After that it could be subdivided many ways, sandwich joints, authentic Mexican, authentic Southern fare, by state, breakfast  joints etc..

Here in Utah sadly we lack many in the immediate area of Salt Lake that I'm aware of anymore, most have closed. Ruth's Diner up emigration canyon is supposed to be really good though I've never personally been yet and the Belgian Waffle house was great for many, many years though lately they began getting cheap using imitation cheese etc. We love to find neat hole in the wall diners, restaurants and such when we're on the road.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »

David -

Dog House Grill, across the street from Fresno State @ Shaw & Hiway 168 in Fresno, CA.

Ever had a Tri-Tip Taco?  Or a Tri-Tip Cobb Salad - so big, one order feeds two!

Great BBQ Tri-Tip sandwiches, too. 

Seasoned French Fries will gladly add inches to your waistline, but well worth it.  A side order feeds two, a basket feeds four college boys!

Yum!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »

David,

The Atlanta area is full of these places, but a few that stand out:

Ann's Snack Shop in East Atlanta, where they make the famous Ghetto Burger.

Mary Mac's Tea Room, just east of downtown, for traditional southern cooking

And, of course, the Varsity, near Georgia Tech, for traditional drive in fare.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »

I'd like to get a list of really cool, quirky and good mom and pop style diners, drive-ins and dives.

My wife watches that all the time, it just makes me hungry. 

Most of the places you seek do not exist anymore, all taken down one way or the other by the recession (which is now over by the way, yeah sure) and are hard to find.  We recently drove over 300 miles after leaving Denver looking for one, we did not want to eat in the regular's that you mentioned (fast food joints).  I am sure there are a some around, but they are far and few between anymore.  It is a piece of the American landscape that has virtually disappeared.

At least that is my take on it.

BCO

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:22:05 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »

Here in Milwaukee, WI. we are known for a wide range of great restaurants from premium steakhouses to simple hamburger places. But this isn't an official food board so I'll let you decide where you want to eat. However, we have a gem around here that has been around forever. LEON'S FROZEN CUSTARD on 27th and Oklahoma. This is an old style drive in type place that is open all year which has been mostly unchanged in both great quality custard and the appearance of the building.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »

Riviera Beach, FL, Becky's Garden Rd Cafe.  Get off at Exit 76 off of I-95, Blue Heron Blvd, go East toward the ocean, turn left at the first light past the interstate ramps, 4/10ths on the left in an industrial park.  Park on the right beside the canal or in the lot next to the building.  BEST 50's/60's diner I have EVER been too.  Only open 7AM to 2:30PM.
The gurls are purdy!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:44:13 AM »

One of the best places to find a good steak, Joe Allen's http://www.joeallens.com/

They have won numersous awards as the best place to eat in Abilene, TX!

Another palce we discovered is The Little Pit, off I-20 in Clyde TX. Real good home cooked style food, best brisket I've had in some time. All cooked over Mesquite of course.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
cody

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »

One of the best places we've gone thru was the Dixie Gun Works in Union City, BK's town, they got massive piles of old and rare guns there, I've never seen that many old guns in one place and many of them were for sale, Uncle Ned took me and BK thru on the family plan, was a real treat, we also saw the museum and Uncle Ned explained how the old stuff that we didn't recognize worked, there were so many things there that were from bygone years, long before our time, we were so glad that Uncle Ned was there to explain that stuff. Grin Grin
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:46 AM »

Country's BBQ in Columbus, GA. You get to eat in an old GM Silversides. We were there for my sons infantry graduation about a month ago. Excellent ribs!! Wife can't wait to go back.
Here is a picture of the inside and a link to the website; http://www.countrysbarbecue.com/

Bryan

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »

If you are traveling on I 10  there is a steak house at 20 miles east of El Paso at exit 39 out in the middle of nowhere named Cattlemans been there since the 1940's best in world has free overnight parking for RV few electric connections.
Get off the interstate in Texas and you will find some great places to eat best BBQ places in the states located in central TX off the concrete in Texas you will find smoked meats with 2 different kinds of wood I like the Hickory smoke better than the Mesquite plenty of mom and pop seafood places along the coast,German food in the hill country, Mexican food about any place, and great hamburger joints in the metro areas

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:08:44 AM »

Hinze's, in Wharton Tx, about a half hour south of Houston on the east side of highway. Great barbque, and all the rest of the food is awesome too. One year we spent the night in our bus next door, so we could eat there again the next day! (just love traveling with no schedule to keep)

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Joe's Steakhouse Union City, TN "Uptown service at outta town prices!"
3762 Ken Tenn Hwy
Union City, TN 38261-7934  
(731) 884-4220
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001140238222&v=info&ref=ts#!/profile.php?id=100001140238222&v=wall&ref=ts
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:08:41 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »

If you like Mexican food, San Marcos Restaurant in the shopping center next to Walmart on US 220 near Mayodan, NC (just south of Martinsville, VA). Paula gew up near the Mexican border in AZ and said this the best Mexican food she has had since leaving AZ.
   Not much big rig parking space, but if you are near Mount Airy (Mayberry) NC, stop at Snappy Lunch for a porkchop sandwich. Order it "all the way", they use their own recipe slaw on the sandwich.
   For "atmosphere" and good food, you can't beat Antlers in Ste. Sault Marie. For something different, Stop at Cabela's at Dundee, MI (near Detroit) for an elk, ostrich, etc sandwich.  
   All this thinkin' bout food is making me hungry.  Maybe we will go to San Marcos for supper tonight.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: