Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 02:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very loud drive axle noise  (Read 1523 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: September 21, 2010, 05:06:49 AM »

Hi Guy's,

Two weeks ago while on a mini vacation to eastern shore of MD, we started hearing a very loud churning noise

from my drive axle. It would only do it when I would coast without throttle.. It seemed to get worse as we neared

our destination. All the wheel hubs were cool so we decided to ride it out till we got home.  On our trip home, it

only became worse and had second thoughts about towing my H2 Hummer with this condition.. Well, I just rode

it out and made it home.. Wink

The next day, I hooked up the H2 again and made the 30 mile trip to Luke's [US COACH]. Upon removing the pinion

gear, they discovered two broken teeth on my ring gear and what seemed to be very worn carrier bearings. Then the

big decision had to be made!! Do I look for a good take-out, or have a completely rebuilt pumkin installed??

I was not too comfortable with a used take-out because you just don't know the condition of it and there is alot of

labor involved to swap a pumpkin... Having a "333" ratio gearing, there was not too many options on used anyway.

I elected to have Luke order me a rebuild. Bill Miller and Bill Jr. had me back in operation in a weeks time! Thanks Guys'!

Without a doubt, this was the right choice. Yea, it hurt my pocketbook but, I'll will get over it...[I hope] Huh

Again, another fine job by the crew at US Coach.. 

Awaiting the next part failure! Grin
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »

Nick

What is a "part failure"? I thought this bus thing was just kind of a "add oil" once in a great while  hobby.
Am I missing something? You kinda scared me
there. I thought you were suggesting that these things break down once in a while.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:24:18 AM »

Nick
Good news on the repair. Grin
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »

Nick,
You know YOU will never have a problem with that rear end again after replacing it with a NEW one! The amount of use the buses see as conversions are nothing compared to what they saw in younger life of revenue service!
I've actually had very good success with used pull outs back when I was "repairing" other peoples buses. (my uncle had 3 different buses lose rear ends in as many months, replaced everyone of them with take-outs and never had a problem again as long as he owned them!)

And on a side note I happen to have a good take out in very good condition from an MCI with 3.33's if anyone needs one.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:48:56 AM »

Wow Nick!  a 30 mile trip to Luke's Smiley   What a lucky guy Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »

Nick

What is a "part failure"? I thought this bus thing was just kind of a "add oil" once in a great while  hobby.
Am I missing something? You kinda scared me
there. I thought you were suggesting that these things break down once in a while.

Funny Rick...Lol

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

Good for you Nick,

Glad to hear you are back on the road. I did see your beautiful coach when I stopped in one day @ Luke's.

I also think I have you beat by 2 miles, 28 miles from Woodbine Apt to US Coach.

Take care, sorry I did not run into you.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

Without a doubt, this was the right choice. Yea, it hurt my pocketbook but, I'll will get over it...[I hope] Huh
Nick-

Nick,  I know you used the "Buy cheap, Buy twice" rule in this decision....... Grin  Cheesy

If I'm paying for labor.....I hate to do it twice.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

Gary,
I missed you again... Lol

Cliff,

Yup! "Cheap Pays Twice"

Nick-

blank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

So is this another spare part we need to take along on the Alaska trip? Curious what the failure rate is on ring and pinions in a Bus. Is the failure rate higher on V8's than 6's, ie Higher fail rate with higher HP, or are the R&P's tougher on the bigger units?

Im asking from the perspective of boosting power output, are we gonna blow the drivetrain because of an increase in torque?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: