Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:14:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Emergency with trailer near Elko, Nevada - Fixed, kinda!  (Read 4546 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »

My new to me (used) trailer lost an axle on I-80 westbound at exit 333 between Elko and Wells, Nevada.  It appears the axle, brackets and all, broke off cleanly.  The other axle broke off the frame on one end and lost one tire.  The axle was in a traffic lane, but a good samaritan pushed it out of the road.  Yes, I called 911 about the axle before I knew it was off the road.

The trailer is sitting off the side of I80 in a reasonably safe location.

We are headed to Elko to get padlocks at Walmart to lock up the trailer.  We are then going to go look for the axle to at least haul it to the dump if it is trashed.

I need help with figuring out a way to get trailer flat bedded I assume to Elko, names of a good trailer repair place, and a place to rent a trailer.  I have no idea if this trailer goes to a junkyard or gets repaired.  Coming back for it would cost a lot of money from Minnesota.  I may have to buy a new trailer.

My phone number is 612-508-9956 if you can help.  Brian Elfert - We might try to get some sleep and take care of the trailer in the morning.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:24:19 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Be interested to find out why it failed so dramatically.

A quick search shows a U-Haul in Elko, if you need to rent a trailer to haul your stuff.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »

Brian,

Man, What a mess, Glad no one was hurt!

U-hauls site quotes fro Elko to St Paul;

680.00 for a car trailer(to put your trailer on) and drop in St Paul.

280.00 for a 5'X12" trailer if you abandon yours and drop in St Paul.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:42:39 AM »

We can't figure out how the axles were attached to the trailer frame.  The assumption is the level of rust on the overall trailer contributed to the axle coming loose.  All of the critical rusted pieces on the trailer were replaced.  The axles still looked to be fine.

We're currently in the bus finding an exit to turn around so we can look for the axle.  It might not be the easiest thing in the dark.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:57 AM »

Brian,
Sounds to me like the trailer had some very serious hidden issues and I'd probaly just unload it and scrap it. Rent a trailer one way to get yer stuff home. Or go ahead and plunk down the $ for a replacement now.
I wouldn't waste the $ to take the wrecked trailer home knowing that it has had so many problems and I can guarantee you it will have more!

Sorry to hear about the troubles!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:50:57 AM »

Sounds like the bus is doing fine Grin  I agree with BK re the trailer, sounds like scrap to me, then again I sometimes resurrect scrap (houses and tools etc..) so who knows.  Anything can be done with enough stubbornness and money.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »

Brian, I have a friend in that area I will pm his number to many horse trailers in that area so it should be easy to find someone to repair it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »

Brian I just want to tell you how sorry I am. I know it was a struggle for you to get started on this trip, and to have the trailor litteraly fall apart must be disheartening  Cry  and even worse is where you are at by Elko! I know that area fairly well, been thru it many times and dont care for it at all.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »

Brian, here are some trailers that are for sale right in elko/reno. You may want to contact them and have the bring their unit directly to you for transfer.

http://elko.craigslist.org/rvs/1948562588.html

http://elko.craigslist.org/rvs/1948537435.html

http://elko.craigslist.org/rvs/1917592924.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/1967245949.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/for/1966025190.html

Not sure of your budget or needs!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:34 AM »

Trailers are really pretty simple.  The first course of action is going to be finding a rental trailer and a tow for the current trailer to Elko.  We're probably going to have to unloaad the the trailer on the side of the road.

I'm not planning to scrap the trailer until I find out about any other damage.  As long as the frame is okay I think I can have new or the original axles installed or reinstalled.

Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »

Brian if you have Coach-Net towing service they should tow it to a repair shop.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:21 AM »

JC, I don't think Coach Net will tow the trailer they would not even come change a tire on mine, but will on a tow vehicle I didn't understand that part as my car was on the trailer.
But they did find me a tire shop close to buy a new tire

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »

Born and raised Minnesotan, lived there 51 years. Now im a southern Rebel. lol.

Saying Minnesota uses salt is a misnomer. They use Calcium Chloride, and these days other, possibly stronger chemicals they dont tell you about. I had a flat bed trailer made of 3/16 inch box section steel, all primed and painetd. Less than 10 years it was eaten through most of its length. What was left behind was severly eaten away and very thin. I caught it putting on new wood decking and junked it. Ive seen heavy truck frames, over 1/4 inch thick, rotted out.

The 35W bridge, and every other bridge up there, are rusting away from the use of salt. They like to deny thats the problem. they even got the NTSB to hide the truth, but salt litterally eats iron for lunch. They have bridges down here in the south over 100 years old, strong as the day they were made.

Not saying salt is the cause here, but to have an axle just come out from under a trailer while cruising down the highway, seems pretty likely. When I bought a nice enclosed trailer, and when I bought vehicles, I bought out of state.

Find a nice trailer out west and youll be a lot happier. Just dont tow it in the salt belt in the winter.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »

Brian,
    Just a thought, what is the total weight of trailer and contents?  When 1 axle failed, that put the total weight on the other axle.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »

Brian you are absolutely right that trailers are pretty low-tech devices.  I have changed out axles in a (muddy) parking lot after twisting a spindle off.  If you can find a mobile welder and a couple of replacement axles it sounds like an easy fix.  But no doubt still frustrating.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: