Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Emergency with trailer near Elko, Nevada - Fixed, kinda!  (Read 4569 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

Elko is a little far for me right now or I'd pack up my welder and tools and head west.
If you can't get any help let me know and maybe I can do something to help.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »

Are they spring axles or torsion axles. An enclosed trailer? There are emergency repair shops that specialize in just such events. Good luck. Nothing worse than breaking down on the road.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »

Brian you have to have the Platinum Plus plan to cover trailers.  $109.00 per year.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

That's the plan I have now after the trailer ordeal not much cost difference and you are covered,as the saying goes you get what you pay for lol

good luck,

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

Here is the deal:

We rented a trailer in Elko and unloaded our broken trailer.  It appears the one axle might still be good.  Unfortunately, we could not find the other axle along the road.  We looked and the tow truck looked for the axle.  It was gone.  Maybe somebody wanted the new tires,

We found a place that will get right on putting the one axle back on and will order another one.  It could take a long time to get an axle.  Nobody stocks axles because there are too many sizes.

The trailer is an enclosed trailer with torsion axles.  We might tow the trailer back with one axle if need be.  We want to pick up the trailer Monday if we can.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »

We made it back home with my sorta fixed trailer.  We had the one axle welded back on the trailer.  (The other axle is gone.)  The trailer was towed home with just one axle.  We loaded up a minimum of stuff in the trailer.  We went through a scale and were still under 3,500 lbs on the one axle.

I am upset that Coach-Net never mentioned that for an extra $10 or $20 a year I could have towing coverage for utility trailers.  It cost me $300 to have the trailer towed.  I only learned they even offer this service from a fellow poster here.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »

The welding shop we used took one look at the axle that broke off and was livid about the poor welding.  It almost looked like they tacked the bracket on and forgot to go back to finish the welding job.  Everyone was surprised it lasted 15 years that way.  We were far from overloaded.  The previous owners raced motorcycles so they probably put very little weight in the trailer.

Nobody carries any Dexter replacement axles.  They all have to special order them including the Dexter distributors (At least the one in Salt Lake City).  The repair shop called Pace American and even they would have to order the axle.  If the axle wasn't in stock in Reno, Las Vegas, Sacramento, or SLC it would never have showed up in time.

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »

I don't know how long you have had the road side policy, but i got notifications every month or so until I got Platinum plus!

I have used 3 times and had great results.

Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »

I don't know how long you have had the road side policy, but i got notifications every month or so until I got Platinum plus!

I think this is my 4th year with Coach-Net.  I have seen upgrade offers to Platinum Plus from time to time.  I never noticed the trailer towing part.  I just thought that the Saleperson would have mentioned the trailer towing part when they tried to upsell me on Platinum Plus.  I did send an email to Coach-Net complaining I wasn't told about trailer towing, but I expect it will get nowhere.

I paid the $300 and chalk it up as a lesson learned.  The painful part is going to be the $1000 to repair the trailer with new axle, welding, and new tires/wheels.  I wish someone hadn't picked up the axle from the side of the highway.

fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »

Thank God you're home safe and no one was hurt. The rest can be cured correctly over time...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

I took the trailer to the trailer shop for an estimate and the verdict is $1150 for axle, welding, and new tires/wheels.  That doesn't include the $109 each for new fender skirts.  I am hoping I can find the right axle myself to save a few bucks.

I should have just bought a new trailer as I now have as much as new into this trailer.  Even the guy at the trailer shop said they probably wouldn't have found the bad welds had I taken it to them for an inspection.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »

Brian,

Why not get new different brand axles? I might be missing something, but if you have to weld, why not get a more readily available brand?

Just thinking outside of the box....

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 06:41:32 PM »

Brian,

Why not get new different brand axles? I might be missing something, but if you have to weld, why not get a more readily available brand?

Dexter is the main manufacturer of torsion trailer axles.  Al-Ko is another brand.  Everybody pretty much makes them to order since there are too many variations on sizes of axles.  Northern Tool sells Reliable axles, but they mount differently and they don't have many sizes.

I already have one Dexter axle so I really need to get another Dexter axle.  Tri State RV Surplus has new Dexter axles and I need to check if anything they have is the right size.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »

I have to deal with this a lot and what Brian is saying is so true. Whenever I order any kind of axle my supplier says 3-4 weeks.  Now I just get hubs, spindles and springs and build my own. The big killer is freight on them also as they are to heavy for UPS and such and have to come via truck. Just a major pain. I am not surprised that you encountered poor welding Brian. They make these trailers as cheaply as possible and  basically what we call "sticks and staples" rules the trailer industry also. Cheap indeed until you need to repair one!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »

Your in the Minneapolis metro area, go to Northern, they have trailer fenders, wheels, tires and axles in stock, both leaf spring as well as torsalastic. . They have axles from 1500 pound ratings to 5200 pound (per axle), various lengths (widths), complete with hubs and brakes, or bare that you can build yourself. And the stuff is well made and affordable. You can even look up what you want online,

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-trailer-parts+trailer-axles+axle-kits

If you need work done on the trailer, welding etc.,, take it out to Hwy 55 trailer sales in Buffalo. Rodney is a good guy, he'll treat you right. Tell him Paul, the guy who moved to Arkansas sent you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: