Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 20, 2017, 10:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ride Height  (Read 1260 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »

Have been working on replacing the front leveling valve, and the dash valve that ads or subtracts air from the front bag.  Both were completed pretty darn easily, in spite of how some of it looked, and cost about $90 for the parts from Prevost which I thought was reasonable.  Now the coach is level in all directions, but what ride height do I set it at?  I have the Prevost maintenance manual and it gives lots of information about how the suspension works, but it doesn't give any locations for measuring the height off of the road.  Anyone have any information on that?

Thanks in advance

Chuck
rip

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

I just replaced mine last year and your book should show how to measure your ride height.I believe it should be 11-1/2".
   Don
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »

Don, my book is a few miles away, is it in the alignment section by any chance, because it is not in the suspension section.

thanks

Chuckd
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:13:04 PM »

In my book (XL Maint Manual) its in the suspension section on page 7.  If you have an XL, the airbag height should be 11 1/2" +/- 1/8".  There is a diagram of an airbag to show how to measure it - you measure from the top of the airbag where the metal meets the rubber, to the bottom where the metal starts to curve in.

Steve
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »

Thanks Steve, will now have a target to aim at.

Chuckd
cody

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

Chuck, if you shoot your airbag it will seriously impact your ride height lol.   Grin Grin
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »

Chuck -

Another piece of info that might be helpful may be in the general specifications section.  Look for something like "ground to first step."  I've seen it (at least in GMC & MCI books) in sales brochure specs, Operator's Manual spec pages, and in the shop manual.  This measurement is usually from the ground (not curb) to top of first step.  On the GMs, it's 14.5" for all the air suspension models.

Cody -

Ba-da-bing!  That was bad, but clever!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
cody

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »

RJ, thank you, I wrassled with that one for a long time before I finally allowed myself to slip to that level, sometimes things get handed on a silver plater and it would be rude to not dive into them lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: