Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:17:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got in an accident in the bus today. Nobody was hurt.  (Read 6462 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »

We've all had it happen alot but it finally caught up with me today. Approaching an intersection and a woman in a subaru barely clears my bumper as she passes me and we are
far past the point of no return on the intersection, the light turns yellow and she decides about half way through the lane change  (which was totally illegal) and you guessed it she stood on her brakes and I totalled her car, tore the fiberglass bumper on my front end and bent a couple things but really just cosmetic stuff. A guy pulls over and says I'm a witness and she just cut you off and then stood on her brakes she got out of her car and immediately started admitting her guilt. So, we called the cops (Mistake #1) and they sent a local guy and he told us to wait for the state trooper. The trooper get's there and doesn't say boo to the woman reponsible and immedaitely asks me if this is a commercial vehicle and I say no it's my family's RV and he say's so you have never used this bus to travel somewhere to make money and i say well yes I have a couple years back when we were living In Tenn we traveled to churches and played for a free will offering and he say's So this is a commercial bus then and I said no we don't use it for that anymore. Long story short he calls the commercial vehicle inspector and the guy actually goes online to bus for sale.com out of Nashville to try and find a case against me.
4 hours later we have a friend of mine with a class b license drive it to the DOT for an inspection. The guy never even entered my bus, never chacked a fitting, didn't look at my brakes or anything and said I'm gonna do my damndest to pursue you for
tax evasion this next week and when I didn't look frightened at his accusation he said that not only would my friend have to drive the bus to our storage area ( because he had nothing on me) but he cited me for driving without a license because I had lasik surgery 7 years ago and the kind folks at DMV hadn't noiticed I took the test with my glasses off. Really folks? We've come to a place where we get charged 185 bucks for improving our vision?

And people wonder why some folks don't want government run healthcare.

I remember a friend saying that the DNR can bsically violate any right of yours they want to, well. I'm here to tell you the DOT knows a money making scheme when they see one.
The best quote of the day comes when despite my insurance policy and the vehicle title saying clearly that this is an RV he says the only thing that kept me from taking your vehicle from you permanently is that on the original MCI steel plate it didn't designate a passenger #. The problem with government run organizations is they don't have schooling on the tendency of folks in power to abuse the folks
they are supposed to serve.

I know he didn't like it much when he said you sure look calm for a guy who may have his bus taken from him come Monday and I said I'm calm because I don't answer to you and the guy that I do answer to doesn't have to mistreat me to make himself look bigger. He hated it when I thanked him for his time and asked him if he had anything I could pray for him for.

It was a good day all in all and thank God nobody got hurt,

besides it was my beautiful 8 year old daughter grace's Birthday. how cool is that?

I am blessed guy

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »

What a prick!
Where did this happen Rick?
I would call the head of DOT in that state Monday Morning, call me at 828-three one zero 8111 and I'll get you the number, report that creap!
Sorry that happened!
Jack
And Happy Birthday Grace!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

Rick, I'm glad no one was hurt, it could have been worse. Just walk away and be thankful you know the way. It will not do any good to confront any of those who gave you grief, it's their way for some. Let your insurance take care of you and let them go after the lady who caused it, that's what they are paid to do. Did you get the name of the witness? The insurance folk will ge glad to get that.

So thankful and wish your daughter a Happy Birthday!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »

Rick, glad no one was hurt it usually has different results when a bus and car tangle.
I do not know about MN. laws but most states can do a DOT inspection if the vehicle weighs over 10,000 lbs and involed in a accident and RV's are not excluded.
I seen the DOT inspectors do pickups and horse trailers here in AZ and Texas,when I wrecked my pickup and trailer in Texas they checked it for about 5 hrs and it wasn't my fault. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »

What a punk!  I can't tell you what to do but I can ask.  I beg of you to file a complaint.  I ask this of you because it has to start somewhere.  He has no more right to threaten an American citizen with siezure of property than the man on the moon.  Stick it right back on him.  He made you uncomfortable as a free citizen when you did nothing wrong.  Make him feel that way for violating your right to be free!  Make him answer to it.  GD that fires my hide.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »

What a punk!  I can't tell you what to do but I can ask.  I beg of you to file a complaint.  I ask this of you because it has to start somewhere.  He has no more right to threaten an American citizen with siezure of property than the man on the moon.  Stick it right back on him.  He made you uncomfortable as a free citizen when you did nothing wrong.  Make him feel that way for violating your right to be free!  Make him answer to it.  GD that fires my hide.

I agree, just because your Christian does not mean you turn the other cheek to this kind of behavior. If we dont keep fighting for our rights and freedoms, or children wont have any rights and freedoms.

Where did this take place? Sounds like Minnesota. Hennepin by the sounds of it.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »

The more I think about this the angrier I get. I dont think I would have cooperated, in fact I am sure i wouldnt have. I am pretty certain that had he threatened to take my Bus, I would have told him to try it. If they had told me I couldnt drive it, or tried to make me take it to DOT, I also would have refused. I would have gotten a surperviser, went all the way to the state DOT, secretary of State.... ask them why they bother titling Buses as RV's if we have to worry about threats and hassles like this from Law Enforcement. That Trooper needs to have his ticket pulled and be taught a few state laws.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »

Too bad that you didn't have one of those helmet cameras like Jack Conrad has.  Mounted on your dash you could have had a video of the whole thing. Hard to argue with a video.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »

Glad you and your family are all right! Sounds to me like you might have gotten shuffled off in an attempt to possibly cover up some local dignitary or some one of importance, as you said early on the woman did not dispute it was her fault. Also you stated that they never talked to her, but grabbed you and started harassing you for a totally unrelated (Fabricated) issue, hmmmm! sucks! Angry Angry Good luck, Again, Glad ya'll are safe! Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 02:58:37 AM »

i hope you got the witnesses name, and i hope he also saw the cops behavior toward you.  what state was this?  talk about a jerk!  i don't think i could have kept as cool as you were.  did he even talk to the lady driving the car?

i've been close a couple times, but now i have a reminder to try to keep extra distance.

say your prayers this weekend that no one was hurt and that your beliefs kept you from choking the life out of some a$$ that needed it.  the guys are right.  if you have witnesses, file a complaint against him.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »

Rick,,

Can you post a copy of the traffic crash report?  It would help us provide you better advice.

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 05:30:40 AM »

If you feel wronged by the ST it is important that you make a formal complaint.  POs who behave badly and receive no reprimand warning etc..will continue to behave badly and may even get worse.  Absolute power corrupts....a formal complaint checks the absolute power thing, won't necessarily change anything, but doing nothing will really not change anything.

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:03:19 AM »

Rick,

Glad you and your Family are OK.

Can you post a copy of the traffic crash report?  It would help us provide you better advice.

It will clear up much of the "speculation" too!

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:54 AM »

First off I'm glad no one was hurt.  

Next, I can see this thread is going to get really long, really fast.  We need to learn something here.  We've been warned many times by our colleagues that any time we use these for money making adventures that a whole mess of different rules apply.  Whether that bites Rick in this situation is a big stretch by the DMV.  Next, I learned from Rick about not saying anything to implicate myself in an accident, but that is really hard to do when you're upset and people are all pointing fingers at each other.  

In my Eagle I feel confident I'm covered.  It is registered in Texas.  It's licensed and a "remanufactured motorhome"  Passenger rating is 0.  Empty weight is 33k or so.  A non commercial class B license is required.  

So, if I'm in an accident I'm going to act like I'm driving a Winnebago and the word "bus" is not in my vocabulary.   Rick, at your expense, we will learn something very valuable from this.

David
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »

First off I'm glad no one was hurt.  

Next, I can see this thread is going to get really long, really fast.  We need to learn something here.  We've been warned many times by our colleagues that any time we use these for money making adventures that a whole mess of different rules apply.  Whether that bites Rick in this situation is a big stretch by the DMV.  Next, I learned from Rick about not saying anything to implicate myself in an accident, but that is really hard to do when you're upset and people are all pointing fingers at each other.  

In my Eagle I feel confident I'm covered.  It is registered in Texas.  It's licensed and a "remanufactured motorhome"  Passenger rating is 0.  Empty weight is 33k or so.  A non commercial class B license is required.  

So, if I'm in an accident I'm going to act like I'm driving a Winnebago and the word "bus" is not in my vocabulary.   Rick, at your expense, we will learn something very valuable from this.

David

Not to step on this thread but why is a non commercial class b is required in Texas when registered as a motor home.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: