Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 19, 2014, 09:32:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got in an accident in the bus today. Nobody was hurt.  (Read 6566 times)
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:17 AM »

How did the actual inspection go?  Did they find anything interesting?

Concerning the class b license.  I went back to the commercial driver's manual for North Carolina and found that recreational vehicles are exempt from CDL, "However, a non-CDL Class A or B license maystill be required"  The manual does not go on to define "may".  So, if you get a different answer from each person you ask, don't be surprised.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44:47 AM »

We've been warned many times by our colleagues that any time we use these for money making adventures that a whole mess of different rules apply.  Whether that bites Rick in this situation is a big stretch by the DMV.

Dave,

This is my biggest concern for Rick also. 

How his state views the use of it matters greatly. 

He may be OK as long as it was his family and not for the transportation of others.  I just don't know.

Hopefully one of our Law Enforcement members can educate us on the nuances of the law, as it pertains to this situation.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »

Not to step on this thread but why is a non commercial class b is required in Texas when registered as a motor home.

It's over 26,000 lbs.  Read the code carefully.  RV's are exempt but any RV over 26k requires a class B.  If you use it to pull a trailer greater than 10k, then a Class A is required.  It doesn't have to be commercial, but it must be the appropriate class.  Here is an old link from 2004 that will clarify it.

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/6371.html
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:25:01 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 07:34:47 AM »

This information is from the Texas Department of Public Safety website.  It appears that to qualify for an exemption from the CDL requirement you need to complete a certification form (form is attached).

Brian S.

Who is exempt from a CDL? (Certification form CDL-2 required)
Persons operating the following vehicles are exempt from a Commercial Driver License:
1. A vehicle that is controlled and operated by a farmer; and used to transport agricultural products, farm machin- ery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; and not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and used within 150 air miles of the personís farm.
2. A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emer- gency governmental functions, whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter (this includes operators of industrial emergency vehicles);
3. A military vehicle, when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time training, and National Guard military technicians; or
4. A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:11:58 AM by Depewtee » Logged

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »

That is very similar to the North Carolina book, but it doesn't exempt RV's from a non CDL requirement by weight.  But the NC book has the word "may" without any further clarification.  I think most states wording is similar because they are following the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986.

I would say, get your non CDL for the class vehicle and be the better driver because of it and not have to worry.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »

I'll bet that cop has a very small Winnebago.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks for the kind words and support I would have responded sooner to your questions but I work early on Sunday's.

To answer the first question. There is no accident report yet... All involved are supposed to go to a website and give their version of the accident. The officer didn't ask for the witnesses # after I told him about it.

There were no citations given to the lady in the car and I received two.

These are both based upon the premise that I own and operate a "commercial" vehicle.

Incorrect license and incorrect registration.

The officer's case is that since I drove my bus to churches 2 years ago when we lived in a different state with just my family and because we accepted a free will offering at that time our bus irrevocably became a commercial vehicle and can never be just an RV from that point on thereby requiring a Class B license, a medical statement, totally different insurance and a whole boatload of taxes. I know you are all shaking your heads because virtually all of our conversions were used by one charter company ot another before we bought them so we are all commercial vehicles according to this guys thinking.

However, Minnesota law states quite clearly that I have to use this exclusively for my business in order for that to be true. The title on the vehicle states it is a motorhome for personal use and when he asked me if he stepped onto the bus or opened a bay he wasn't going to find a bunch of instruments right? and I replied you are going to find a camping grill, camping chairs, camping lanterns and that if he looked on the dash and in our drawers he would find a couple dozen recent campsite receipts and when I pointed out our current stickers to both Minnesota and Wisconsin state parks he just got more terse and angry. I asked an attorney friend this morning why, since he is a DOT officer, he didn't bother to check the brakes or the interior of the coach? and he felt that it's because as long as I don't fail or pass Dot or as long as he can say that he didn't know that the interior was setup as an RV as opposed to a tour bus with seats he can continue to look for a violation on my part because he has seen no evidence to conclude that I'm not guilty. That was pretty mid bogglingly evil if that's true. That would assume he is saying "Well, I'm not gonna look at the "truth" that's right in front of me because then I would have to let this guy go", as it stands he can search high and low for the next couple days for a violation that would justify his involvement in the investigation and his overtime pay.

It seemed that nothing I was gonna say was going to turn this guy around once he started down this tax evasion road so I just shut up and answered with yes and no answers.

I feel that the deeper truth behind what happened to me is that states, cities, and towns are under water financially and they are going to use every means necessary right or wrong, truthful or not, justified or illegal to try and keep their jobs and they will start to move towards RV users abd owners to satisfy their payroll and spending habits.

I had a great day, did my job well this morning, prayed for these guys a number of times and just didn't allow their perception of me define the man that I am. I'm a knucklehead sometimes, I have a temper, I am obsessed with putting an 8V92 in my bus but I am not the lowlife scoundrel that these guys tried to paint me to be. Grin
The funny thing is the only people with paint on them... is them.

Do your homework boys and girls, don't drive from town to town selling squegee's at squeegee conventions in your bus. Don't have anything that may be construed as an office in your bus and don't argue with guys with guns and badges. Argue in a court of law to a judge. Oh and have NOTHING in your bus from MCI that says that you're bus is rated for a specific number of passengers despite the fact that you would have no place to put all of them. This guy was serious when he said the only reason I don't take you bus from you right now is because the metal plate on my dash, (which by the way, was hidden and I freely took off the cover so he could read it) only showed GVWR and tire weight ratings. I'm covinced that if he could have proven that my bus could carry 50 passengers he would have my bus right now. I think that's why he went to his truck and sat on the internet looking at bus dealerships and the like to look at what a touring coach and an entertainer coach looked like inside.

I'll beat these guys in court and better yet I'll do it without having to make them feel like horses butt's.

In regards to an earlier question, the accident took place in St. Paul Minnesota

It's good to know you have brothers and sisters that are there for you when these kinds of things happen.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you that replied or prayed for us,

It's a beautiful day I think I'll go hit a little white ball 80some times around a golf course.

Gotta get out and breathe fresh air before they send me to Leavenworth!!! Grin Grin Grin

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »

Leavenworth is a small city in WA. state with a Bavarian theme. You might like it.
 http://www.leavenworth.org/modules/pages/index.php?pageid=1
     ...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »

No way I could have known it was Minnesota, but it sure sounded like it. I have recieved three bogus speeding tickets in the last 25 years. The last one was a year ago in western Hennepin county. It suddenly dawned on me that all three tickets were from Hennepin, even though I didnt live in that county, just drove through it occasionally. Over that last 25 years, ive traveled a lot of the US, many 100's of thousands of miles, never stopped for anything.

The last few trips we made moving down here, we started counting police cars because you see so many there. We previously lived in the western Minneapolis Metro area, about 140 miles of driving before entering Iowa. The last few trips we have counted over 100 police in that 140 miles, the majority in the metro area, but still about 20 between Iowa and the cities. It has become a police state folks. I can drive through other states are sometimes not see so much as one police car. And when you do meet cops down here, they are friendly and decent. Not at all the "hillbillies" people back home try to make them out.

I left that state because it had become so difficult to live and operate. Over the last year, there have been times I questioned if it was really as bad as I thought it was, Then I read this garbage. I was going to say it was Minnesota last night, but didnt because I didnt want to sound goofy. But it was, and im not. Its a very, very beautiful state, but Minnesota "nice" it is not! People shouldnt have to drive in fear of police, but thats a real reality in that part of the world.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

Rick, again, I hate this happened!
I do hope you complain about these jerks!  And trust me they have bosses up the line called senators and congressmen/women that don't like their voting constituents picked on.
When you told him it was an RV and produced the paperwork to prove it that should have been the end of it.  Period.  The questions about using it it in work were BS, and using it two years ago for faith offerings hardly constitutes the defintion of 'Interstate Commerce'!
Then to force you to get a licenced driver to drive an RV to a inspection station, again, BS!
But the fun part is the part about persuing you for tax charges and he might take your bus!  Complain my friend, and complain loudly!
Praying for you...and me...I'm madder that hell!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »

My NC Drivers' License is due for renewal this November (I'll also be 75..Egads, that's scary) so because I recently had a cataract removed from my left eye and no longer require glasses I stopped by the drivers license agency here in Franklin and talked to the Trooper in Charge.

We discussed my situation with the bus and he recommended that I upgrade from a Class C to a Class B, Restricted (whatever that means) to cover the weight of the bus, about 32K. I asked for the study guide and was told that Raleigh was behind in shipping them but they were expected in 2 weeks and he's hold one for me.

I asked if I could take the eye exam now and get a note from him as I can't wear my old glasses while driving anylonger but do carry a card showing the the left lens was changed on Sept. 7, 2010. He told me that should I be stopped and the issue of glasses comes up to have the Officer contact him and he'd explain the situation. Nice to live in a small town.

The accident scenario burns my butt as well and I'm not a 'turn the other cheek type'. I'd go after that Officers badge...but it's probably not possible unless the writer is a resident of MN.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »

What a prick!

Glad you can pray for the local law there. Not sure I would have been so nice. Hope all goes well next week. Not much we can do from here but PRAY FOR YOU.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »

This does really suck. Glad it was not I. I have an entertainer bus but it is registered as a Motor home. You have the right attitude. You can cry up the chain until tears run off the back of your head. They just don't care.

This statement is the same thought they have.
I would say, get your non CDL for the class vehicle and be the better driver because of it and not have to worry.

I can tell you a story of my wife and her girlfriend. My wife's girlfriend came into town from Tulsa around 6:30pm. We sat at home talking and saying hi and what not. I went on to bed with the boy and they stayed up. They went out to Whataburger at 1:30am. On there way home they were pulled over 2 blocks from our house. The officer asked them if they had been drinking. They stated no. A second car showed up with the dash cam. They made the driver (her friend) try to take a field sobriety test. She refused because of the plates and screws in her ankle. At this point she was kind of mad for them even bothering them. She refused the Breathalyzer and the cuffed her for drunk driving. They got my wife out of the car and made her stand on the sidewalk. She was giggling about the whole thing. She stated, "Welcome to Houston Tammy". The cop turned to her and said "Houston...Do you know where you are?" She said Yes Pearland. Pearland is like a suburb south of Houston. Our borders touch. So he took her to jail for Public Intoxication. All this is on their video. When the Officer's statement was given to us he wrote she stumbled out of the truck and did not know where she was. So the next morning I got her out for $250 and Tammy for $1000. My wifeís case was first we went to court three times. Once to plead not guilty. Once to get a trial by jury. Then the third time they called her up and the Judge said the case had been Quashed. So a long story longer did the night shift cop get OT for daytime court? YES did they teach her a lesson? One night in jail and three days of court? YES all to throw it out. Every time she went to court the DA asked her if she wanted to plead guilty for deferred judification. Tammy called in for her ARL hearing and that was thrown out because they did not turn in their paper work. Then she hired a lawyer. Drove back to Pearland once for court to plead not guilty. Had to fly back to Pearland for another day of court to win her case because the video did not show her to be slurring or wobbling like the officer stated and she did not loose her driver license because the ALR hearing was thrown out. Plus one state can't take another state's license from you. So she went home all is good. Who won in the end? Both are free and all was thrown out but The City feels the girls learned a lesson whether it cost them or not.
Nobody cared what the Officers stated on the report that did not match the video proof. They were clearly lying but they still patrol to serve and protect us!

So will you win your case no matter what that officer charges you with? NO! Not even if you don't have to pay the first ticket. We gave our freedom up along time ago. They are a necessary evil but they are corrupt with power.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »

Thought this may help.

Minnesota statutes pertaining to commercial vehicles and recreational vehicles.

Subd. 16.Commercial motor vehicle.(a) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:

(1) has a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;

(2) has a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the combination of vehicles has a combined gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;

(3) is a bus;

(4) is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that are required to be placarded under Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100-185; or

(5) is outwardly equipped and identified as a school bus, except for type A-I and type III vehicles as defined in subdivision 71.

(b) For purposes of chapter 169A:

(1) a commercial motor vehicle does not include a farm truck, an authorized emergency vehicle, or a recreational vehicle being operated by a person within the scope of section 171.02, subdivision 2, paragraph (b); and

(2) a commercial motor vehicle includes a vehicle capable of or designed to meet the standards described in paragraph (a), clause (2), whether or not the towed unit is attached to the truck-tractor at the time of the violation or stop.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »

Thanks artvonne I will forward that to my lawyer.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: