Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got in an accident in the bus today. Nobody was hurt.  (Read 6175 times)
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »

Thank goodness I live in Texas! Grin
My vehicle registration states that my GM Buffalo 4905A is 1974/GMC/MH weight is below 26,001 pounds so I can operate/drive it with a Class C Texas drivers license.
Note! MH stands for motor home.
I have never had a problem from any law enforcement officer while I have been operating my coach conversion.
Perhaps I have been very lucky!
As far as local or Texas state law enforcement officers I think the Texas Department of Public Safety or DPS officers as they are called are just a little above the local county or city officers of course this is my opinion others might think different.
I have a idea that some states and cities are using the state and DOT rules and regulations for ways to gain extra revenue from folks that own a coach conversion due to their state tax revenue being lower due to the recession that we are in. Huh
I will stand down from my Soap Box and wish you well with your case and the out come is in your favor. Grin
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »

I don't want to drift too far off the thread but...I do know of one company that ran a fleet of entertainers registered as motor homes.  Those who obey the rules are often caused a lot of grief by those who don't.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »

First off, Rick, I want to extend my condolences. At least nobody was hurt, but it is still a huge bother.

Second off, I have will be waiting to see what will unfold here. I do have a vested interest here Wink

The Kansas statutes describe a commercial vehicle....see below.
commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property, if:
      (1)   The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds or such lesser rating, as determined by rules and regulations adopted by the secretary, but shall not be more restrictive than the federal regulation;
      (2)   the vehicle is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
      (3)   the vehicle is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with 49 C.F.R. 172, subpart F;

The only thing that I see is it saying over 26K. It doesn't say anything about carrying goods for sale at an end destination, or anything....

Anybody know what gives?

I really am trying to learn.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »

Len, you said, "I don't want to drift too far off the thread but...I do know of one company that ran a fleet of entertainers registered as motor homes.  Those who obey the rules are often caused a lot of grief by those who don't."
I actually found that out during inspections in TN and CA several years back...those compamies did not like it when I told them the defintion of 'Interstate Commerce' as it pertained to them.  I think one of the guys would have done me harm if I had givin him a chance!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »

Minnesota is not the state you would want to use for a home state. Look it up on the web, I think the FMCC listed 12 that are best to choose. Mn does not allow you to use a PO box for a resident address, so they wouldnt allow full time liviing in an RV.

Does anyone know where this list can be found? I'd be interested to see where they chose and their rationale for choosing those states.

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »

John,

The 26,001lbs threshold is for the requirement of a CDL. 10,000lbs is actually the weight at which a vehicle is considered commercial, IF it's engaged in commerce.

Read the second paragraph at this link:

http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/faqs/cmv.html

The phrase: "hauling your own materials in the furtherance of your own commercial enterprise" is lifted from the federal regulation guidelines and that is how they get you.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »

I looked, but could find no statute for using a motor vehicle as a permanent residence in Minnesota. Guess you would have to call another state home??  Works for me, lol

Quote from: artvonne
  Subd. 27.Recreational vehicle.(a) "Recreational vehicle" means travel trailers including those that telescope or fold down, chassis-mounted campers, motor homes, tent trailers, and converted buses that provide temporary human living quarters.

(b) "Recreational vehicle" is a vehicle that:

(1) is not used as the residence of the owner or occupant;

(2) is used while engaged in recreational or vacation activities; and

(3) is either self-propelled or towed on the highways incidental to the recreational or vacation activities.

Please note subd. 27(b)(1). I think that answers your question.  Smiley 

Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes and 50,000,000 Mosquitoes. (this has nothing to do with the post, btw).  Grin

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »

Well Rick, I feel for you, as I'm sure you probably already know...

Your first mistake was talking to the cop. You should have handed him your license and registration, and referred all questions to your attorney.
You should also have refused him the right to search your person or vehicle of even to look at the mfg tag. The only information he needed to have was printed by the state
on your registration.
You should have requested he call his supervisor out to the scene when he began threatening you. Not that he would have complied, and even if you had made the call
the cops would have laughed at you and refused. BTDT. 

You probably have a case against the woman who caused the accident, as well as the cop for not doing a proper investigation and for harassment (and yes, he did harass you if
what you describe is accurate). I suggest you talk to your attorney and pursue it.

Filing a complaint with DOT will do absolutely no good. As you know, ALL cops in this state are corrupt, as are all prosecutors and judges. You cannot win, even if you are found
not guilty of the charges. They'll fabricate other charges to stick on you.  BTDT... recently!!

I wish you well.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
blank

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »

Please note subd. 27(b)(1). I think that answers your question.  Smiley 

Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes and 50,000,000 Mosquitoes. (this has nothing to do with the post, btw).  Grin

Mike

My point was that MN has no option for using your motorhome as a permanent residence. You have to have a permanent address to be issued a DL and to title and register a vehicle there. They wont allow you to use a P.O.

However, the USPS wont allow you to purchase a PO Box without a private address either. You would have to buy a private box somewhere.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:25 AM »

I have no idea why any fulltimer would choose MN as a home state anyhow.  Plenty of other states with lower taxes and such.  I currently live in MN and plan to stay, but I wouldn't keep my base here if I decided to go full time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »

Besides the crazy and corrupt legal system in Minnesota, the size of the mosquitoes:

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

Well Rick, I feel for you, as I'm sure you probably already know...

Your first mistake was talking to the cop. You should have handed him your license and registration, and referred all questions to your attorney.
You should also have refused him the right to search your person or vehicle of even to look at the mfg tag. The only information he needed to have was printed by the state
on your registration.
You should have requested he call his supervisor out to the scene when he began threatening you. Not that he would have complied, and even if you had made the call
the cops would have laughed at you and refused. BTDT. 

You probably have a case against the woman who caused the accident, as well as the cop for not doing a proper investigation and for harassment (and yes, he did harass you if
what you describe is accurate). I suggest you talk to your attorney and pursue it.

Filing a complaint with DOT will do absolutely no good. As you know, ALL cops in this state are corrupt, as are all prosecutors and judges. You cannot win, even if you are found
not guilty of the charges. They'll fabricate other charges to stick on you.  BTDT... recently!!

I wish you well.

I could have not said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Know Rick and I am glade you spoke up I thought it but was being nice. Rick will have to fight this battle but others should hear what you have said. Right or wrong we have rights in this country and WE need to strand up for them.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: