Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 04:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rte 97 from No Cal to Wa state  (Read 2589 times)
Timkar

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »

Never having done it myself, I am looking for opinions on driving Hwy 97 (Turn at Weed in Northern California) to Canadian border at Oroville/Osoyoos.
In the past we have used I-5, but 97 will save us a couple of hours if the road is good and services are available.
TIA...Tim  Huh Huh

Cawston, British Columbia
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:04 AM »

A very good road in Oregon and Washington can't speak about the California section.  More scenic than I-5 with plenty of small towns and goes through the heart of the Washington fruit and wine region. Some steeper sections than I-5 but I choice for north/south.
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »

A very good road a few steep sec tions but go slow and enjoy the scenery and plenty of stops along the way about 20 miles from california line a big mtn Lion jumped across the front of bus and I drive a 4905 cruiser.

Larry Higuera

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »

Over the last few years we have done different sections of 97 depending on where we were going to at the time. Had never done the section between Madras and the Columbia river until 2 months ago when we started heading south. Good road, lot more to see than on the freeway.  When  headed north and you get past Yakima, take the Hiway 821 exit, ( its the second Selah exit, about a mile or so past the big fruit stand on the right) and go up thru the Yakima Canyon. Very scenic, same mileage as the freeway but a few minutes slower, and you don't have to go over 2 passes either. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »

Thanks guys...Needed the info from the guys that have done it and sounds like it should be a good run.  Smiley Smiley

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

I've driven from Weed north to the Columbia River.  Far less up and down hills then interstate 5, less traffic, and very scenic.  Be sure to stop at the Logging museum near Chiloquin, Or-very interesting-room for RV parking.  You'll enjoy the drive-just don't do it in winter.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »

Tim -

You headed to the Okanagan Valley area of BC?  Kelowna, etc.?

If so, the 97 route is the alternate I use from Fresno to Kelowna, where my daughter lives.  It takes about an hour longer than going I-5.

Much more scenic, far less traffic, no significant grades to climb (Redding to Weed is worse).  Lots more two-lane, so passing/being passed is a trade-off.

Grand Coulee Dam north of Yakima is a nice little side trip, if you like that kind of thing.

If you aren't already aware, you cannot fuel your own vehicle in OR - a liberal-sponsored "make-work" law requires an attendant to do it for you.  (Guess Joe the Plumber's too dumb to put gas in his own truck. . . but I digress.)  Your coach should be able to make it all the way across OR w/o having to fuel, should that be an issue for you.

Should make for an enjoyable trip - you going soon?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:15:37 AM »

Tim -

If you aren't already aware, you cannot fuel your own vehicle in OR - a liberal-sponsored "make-work" law requires an attendant to do it for you.  (Guess Joe the Plumber's too dumb to put gas in his own truck. . . but I digress.)  Your coach should be able to make it all the way across OR w/o having to fuel, should that be an issue for you.

Should make for an enjoyable trip - you going soon?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

It's mainly because they don't like to get out in the rain! And for the ladies, get that fuel smell on their soft hands! Grin

I can just see my 84 year old Mom fueling up! NOT

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »

Dreamscape said; "It's mainly because they don't like to get out in the rain! And for the ladies, get that fuel smell on their soft hands!"

Just last week we were camped at Winchester Bay, Oregon and when we drove into Reedsport to gas-up the toad I realized, "Oh, we are in Oregon" as the young lady filled our gas tank.  Several days later as we were leaving I pulled in with our rig to fill with diesel, and when I got out to unlock the fuel tank, she said; "You can fill it if you want!".  I guess she didn't want to get her hands smelly with that diesel!

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »

If you do need to get fuel on 97, Gordy's truck stop is an easy in and out. It is just north of La Pine Oregon about a mile or two and is on the right side of the highway.

Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:26:17 AM »

Thanks again for additional info. We are picking up a coach, for a friend, from Yuba City next monday and bringing it home (30 minutes northwest of border).  We have to take 3 days to do it (clearance time required for paperwork on vehicle export) and will take the "scenic" route as well as enjoy the sites.
Tim

gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »

RJ,

That's what I thought too after a few trips there in autos, but found they will let me fuel with diesel. He came out and started the pump while he fueled a car and then took my payment. Weird!!

The guy explained to me that diesel is not highly flammable like gasoline so I could do it?? A real bunch of bull!

One guy told me the policy is there mostly to provide employment, makes more sense than the others did.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

The unfortunate side effect of that law is that in Az. and other places in the winter you get a bunch of older people from Oregon that have no clue how to pump their own fuel. I have watched them take 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to use their credit card at the pump,.....and another 10 to figure out how to use the pump.

Doug1968

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

You should see those from Arizona trying to figure out how to change the wiper blades.

Everything is equal fellows!

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »

I just got home last night from a trip in the 4106 (2470 miles) up through Eastern Oregon to Kennewick, Selah, Wenatchee, Everett, down I-5 to Grants Pass, over to Crescent City and down to Eureka, through Redding, Susanville, Reno and back home in Twin Falls.  It was all beautiful and troublefree.

A couple of comments:

Even though the stations in Oregon don't normally let you pump your own, for whatever reason, diesel prices are noticeably lower than in Idaho, Washington, or California.

If you're headed as far north as Wenatchee, take a side trip to Leavenworth and spend the day.

To test your coach's performance and reliability - and your nerves, plan a trip on California 299 from the coast to Redding!  RJ - ever done that one?

tg

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »

To test your coach's performance and reliability - and your nerves, plan a trip on California 299 from the coast to Redding!  RJ - ever done that one?

Tony -

Yup, both ways.  Once in a 4905 stick, and a couple times in MCI automatics.

IMHO, no worse than SB on Hiway 1 from Monterey/Carmel to SLO, or EB on US 50 from Echo Summit down into the Lake Tahoe basin.

Just drop the gearbox into the appropriate gear and give your pecs a workout!

While in Eureka, did you by chance take in the Samoa Cookhouse?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »

The unfortunate side effect of that law is that in Az. and other places in the winter you get a bunch of older people from Oregon that have no clue how to pump their own fuel. I have watched them take 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to use their credit card at the pump,.....and another 10 to figure out how to use the pump.

Doug1968

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should see those from Arizona trying to figure out how to change the wiper blades.

Everything is equal fellows!

Doug

haha!!! Too bad everyone cant  be from Cally and be perfect  Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »

I am from Az. and can change my wiper blades, Smiley......of course i grew up in Wa. so i have done it a time or two. Grin  Doug, most people are changing their blades in an auto parts parking lot so it doesn't matter much if it takes them awhile. On the other hand when you have 5 or 6 cars waiting in line to get gas.........

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »

It is true-if you're driving a gasoline powered vehicle, the attendent has to fill you car.  If you're driving a Diesel you may fill it yourself.  As said before, gasoline is flammable (will ignite with a spark), and Diesel is combustible (will ignite with heat).  So while Gasoline will ignite way down into the minus territory, Diesel has to be over 150 degrees before it will ignite with a spark.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: