Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 02:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samson GL74 Tires--- Any Info?  (Read 3993 times)
94AmTranVolunteer

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »

At my School, they have SAMSON GL74 Tires on two of the buses, and a 'ADVANCE' GL74 Tire on one. Any Info on these Tire Makers and Where they are Originated.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »

Owned by Michelin now was part of UniRoyal/Goodrich for years the last Samson Tires I look at were made in the Philippines and South Korea probably China now. I have been to the outlet center in L.A where parts of the old plant were turn in to stores 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
94AmTranVolunteer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »

They are owned by Michelin? I thought it was Alpha. This SAMSON GL74 Tire was made in China, and I have a photo of the tire, if you would like to see it.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:16:41 AM »

I have no comment on quality or who owns the company. My biggest concern would be service on the road as they are not widely distributed.  Might be fine for a local school district, but not OTR.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »

Here's what I found on Samson Tires:

http://live.eastbaytire.com/m/samson_plt.cfm

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »

Just recieved two Samson tires for company forklift. Made in China. 
Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »

Samson was owned by United States Tire and Rubber (UniRoyal) since the 30's Uniroyal/Goodrich was sold to Michelin,they closed the plant in Waco Tx you see those tires on the S&S rv's and they were big in the solid rubber tires market that is about all I know

Life is short drink the good wine first
94AmTranVolunteer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »

Just recieved two Samson tires for company forklift. Made in China. 
Big John

Okay. Slow down. lol. Big John, the Samson Tires for your Forklift must have been made by Samson Rubber and Tire company, they have their Worldwide headquarters in Sri Lanka. The Tires that have 'SAMSON' and 'GL74' stamped into them are made by Alpha, which I believe are owned by Michelin. The SAMSON GL74 Tires are made in China, and don't have enough Information to say where the Factory was located in China, (I don't know where to find the DOT Code. Here is what is on the Tire:

SAMSON GL74
Made in China

Actually, I found this Forum by Googling "Samson GL74 Tire" up via Google and I found this site. Decided to register, and this is actually I found a Relationship between Samson and Advance Tires.

One of Two of the Buses the SAMSON GL74 Tire was on, had a Advance GL74 Tire on the Other End of the Axle from the SAMSON GL74. The Advance GL74 Tire had Everything in Chinese Lettering, besides the GL74 Part. I had someone translate it for me and it said Advance. Its weird knowing a Bus has SAMSON GL74 Tires on the same axle on the Same bus as a Advance GL74 Tire. Here is the Layout of this:\

Driver Side            ---FRONT OF BUS---         Passenger Side

Advance GL74 Tire                                        Samson GL74 Tire

Firestone Tire                                                 Firestone Tire

---BACK OF BUS---
94AmTranVolunteer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »

Sorry for this Bump, but I have a Update.

UPDATE: I got to get on the Bus with the Samson and Advance Tires, but did not find out something. Here are some photo's I took back in June of the Tires:

I have multiple Pictures of the Advance tire, here are the Advance Tire:

Above: The Whole Tire, as you can see some Chinese Lettering near the bottom, and this tire was made in China, and has 'GL74' on it.

Above: A Close-Up of the 'GL74' part.

Above: A Closeup of the 'Advance' (this version is Untouched, it did have the Chinese Lettering on it, and I had someone Translate it into English, and it turned to out to be 'Advance'

Here are some photo's of the Samson Tire. This is on the Same Bus, actually on the Same Axle as the Advance Tire:

Above: The Whole Tire. If you Zoom it in, It Reveals Most of the Information on this Tire, including 'Made in China' part.

Above: A Closeup of the Samson part of the Tire. If you zoom it in, It reveals some of the Information on this Tire, and the "Made in China" part.

94AmTranVolunteer

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »

UPDATE: If you look at the GL74 Part on both Tires, they look the Same. The one on the Samson tire should use the Same font as the Samson is in, but doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: