Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 05:13:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Landoll Co-op?  (Read 6549 times)
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »

I have been reading all the post on the Co-op and thinking what about this, If we could find four Companys with the type of rig we are speaking of, lets say in four different parts of the country, in the south east and south west and north west and north east. Contact them and tell them what we have in mind, that there is a large group of busnut's and that we would like to use there services when needed and so to speak have them on call, so when we do call them it's not like a stranger calling. At this time we may be be able to get some type of cost basic. Also when we need help we would have a place to call that has the equipment to do the job and is familiar with the goup.   We have busnuts all over the country so we should be able to check this out, but we would need some type of format to present. I think it would be a lot easier when you have a brake down not to have to start looking and just be able to make a call, a person has enough frustration at this time and at least this would be one thing out of the way.r  Just thinking out loud. 
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 07:28:33 PM »

Yeah...the Landoll still went for about $25K less than retail.   That was, for all purposes, a new unit.  Ebay bidding doesn't get serious until the last 4 minutes of bidding.  I usually wait until the last minute...gotta have  broadband to do that. 
Busnut 104 mentioned something that could be sort of mirrored...what if we had a network of bus friendly diesel shops located around the US?   That would have similar benefits.  Still, if you blow an engine or a trans...a $2K tow bill would be beneficial to me...but, unless you plan to do your own work, or have a local mechanic, returning the bus home may not be as beneficial. 
Sort of like breaking down in Lukes front yard.  You'd be in good hands. 
What do Greyhound and bus charter companies do when they break down?  Tow? Take the coach to a specific shop near the breakdown? Or do they tow it back to their shops? 
My view of this may be rather myopic since I have the capacity to R&R bus engines here and have had that privelege.  Still, If you had 150 people on the East Coast with a couple hundred a year for such service, that may influence someone...?  It would influence me.  There are a lot of bus owners that don't do the 'net like we do.  They just ain't connected.
I'm already paying Good Sam $90 (or thereabout) per year for a very short tow. 
I don't agree that well maintained coaches don't break down.   They will.
I do agree that you won't have the picky things happening that occur on poorly maintained coaches.  And, the newer the coach, the more expensive it is to repair.   If a major engine problem occurs...just a major overheat would do it,  a DD dealer is going to get upwards to $15 K for a 6V92T rebuild.   And, the coach may be out of service for weeks.  May not...
If you can change your own engine...there are take-out engines around for $3K and up.    If you have a Mercedes or 60 series...a used engine could cost upwards to $20K with a good core.  Another $4K without.  Depends on what you find.
While there are two broken buses nearby, I agree, that they don't suffer major breakdowns very often. 
Perhaps just a temporary secure storage area would be good to know about?   That's the purpose of the Frapper. 
So far, the co-op thingy ain't looking too good.  Only about 3 positives..and a lot of "not too good an idea" posts. 
The DIY mechanics are in favor.  One never knows.   
Wonder if Walker Coach still has that Landoll that's pictured loaded with a bus on their website?  Is the website still up?
Who was moving their coaches?
How far is reasonable to tow a bus on a wrecker?  I suppose a diff or tag failure would preclude this. 
Still looking for ideas.... Roll Eyes  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »

I have one of the older buses. I also want mine returned home if it suffers a major break down. But, for me, the reality is a minimum of $4.00 per loaded mile (The co-op can't beat that, by much anyway) & If I'm just 1000 miles from home, well $4000 will go a long way to fix what ails it & then drive it home.

Christy is right about all the complications.

When you write the rules, be serious & realistic. Free towing from coast to coast is gonna run the dues thru the roof. A per loaded mile fee will allow more realistic number for dues/ premiums.

My initial gut reaction is with the above, but I am curious to what numbers ($$$.$$) per person you are talking and how it would work.

It would take one heck of alot of people to bring the cost down to reasonable vs risk.

And to be honest, I just don't see the numbers needed to justify even the initial equipment cost, much less the maintenance.

Not trying to be negative, just sharing my thoughts.
Cliff

Cliff, your being negative!  Wink
The cost to tow 1000 miles the way riggers figure wouldn't be $4K it would be more like $8K.  They charge based on gate to gate.  Not by loaded mile.  There may be some adjustment since your going to hire them for several days, but that would get expensive in a bodacious hurry.
What I had in mind was about $2.50 per mile.  It would be essentially utilized at a "cost" basis.  Around $2.50 is what it costs to operate a unit similar to what we're talking about...both tractor and trailer. 
The idea was not to cover the whole of the US...an area East of the Miss River would be enough. 
I'm looking at equipment costs.  Don't have anything to report...but it amuses me to look.
The idea that it would be "free" is not how it would work.  Members would be buying into the privelege of being able to utilize the service at what it costs to operate.    Roll Eyes  This factoid oughta change some dynamics!  Money can do that! 
New equipment is out of the question, but used is not.   A rough, but solid, trailer can be bought for $14K and up. I have the ability and facilities to store and service such equipment.   
Cliff, you coming to Timmonsville?  I'm coming to Ardacia...or I'll be broke down somewhere between?  Come on up to Timmonsville and I'll bring the heavy equipment trader.  Dallas can join the fray!   You know Dallas could operate this thing.  He's bus savvy, trucker extraodinaire, etc. 
See ya'll in Timmonsville.   I'll be a little quiet this weekend...got 4 gigs.  BUMMER!  Undecided   I screwed my LH rear turn signal up cleaning up the toad wiring.  The old light is some sort of a sealed unit.  Lukes got one on the way.  And, I've decided to try another fuel sender.  We'll keep a watch on it.  Very easy to remove. 
Arcadia will be the longest trip I've made in the bus.  Cliff, where's Turner Center in Arcadia?  Is it out on the North East side of town on Gibson street?   I found a place but it appears to be a mud field on googlemap.  Whatever,,,,how warm does it get down there in the winter?   I get cold pretty easy...bring my snow bibs.  That ought to take care of the problem.  Be a lot warmer down there than up here.
See ya'll soon someplace!  Met BobNC, Norm E, tried to meet Jim Shep, but he is too proficient and was completed and gone by the time I got out there.   
Cheerio, JR Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 04:35:43 AM »

I think someone touched on a good idea, that might be a step in the right direction for ALL busnuts. . .coming up with a registry of repair shops that can handle our big rigs and guarantee to treat us fairly.  You see, sometimes it's motors, sometimes brakes, sometimes air leaks, clutches, transmissions, axles, etc.  Many times, you may need a repair that will cost you less than even a "cost of operation" tow to your home.  Sometimes, you may not exactly want to go home, maybe you want the repair done so you can continue on with your trip.  Shoot, TempBus blew a power steering hose!  Now, that meant we weren't going anywhere very far, but the repair was less than $250 at the shop we used!  Wow Grin.  Yep, someone referred us to the shop, they plugged us in that night and gave us water so we could stay there, and then next morning, when the hose showed up, in no time we were on our way.  Many shops will go out of their way to leave a good impression or help someone out.

Many of the busnuts are capable of and do work on their own busses, and most do regular maintenance, but once your bus is complete and being used, it's pretty hard to check every single mechanical piece on that bus that could possibly fail. Wink  When you are on the road, you are not likely to have ALL the tools that you might need to perform a repair, and you certainly are not likely to have a shop available Sad.  Often, you have a fixed period of time for which you can be gone, so you really need the repair done fairly quickly.

Sure, if there happens to be a fellow busnut in that area, they may offer to help, but then again, there are times when that may not be the best choice.  I mean, Larry works on our bus, but he sure would not want to be working on the brakes or something on someone else's, because he wouldn't want the responsibility of possibly making a mistake or missing something and risking someone's life or property.  Even if you do everything right, new parts can fail Shocked.  Plus, many busnuts works full time, so they may not even be availble to do much until a weekend.  If you broke down, and you had the name of one or several shops in that region that have pledged to repair your bus quickly and treat you fairly, often, that would be a better option. 

I remember how just recently, someone was up north and needed work done on their bus, and several people suggested the same shop, as being a great place with which to deal.  As someone pointed out, $2000 or $4000 to tow a vehicle could be applied to a repair and would go a long ways. 

Not all shops try to stick it to travelers.  Our experience with the Cottman Transmission shop in Eastern New Orleans was wonderful.  They not only came and dragged our motorhome in for free, but they had us back on the road with a rebuilt transmission the same day, and the charge of $1000 for the rebuild was less than we would have paid in our own area!  Shocked I'd much rather need a new tranny in New Orleans than any other city in the country, ha ha. Sure, that was a motorhome, but still, what a deal!  Grin

Since MAK seems to be the "all bus" center of activity, a file on this board would be a logical place to start a comprehensive list of "decent" professional repair shops specifically geared to handle busses.   IMHO, Embarrassed Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 06:06:15 AM »

I made it home about 300 miles with a strange very loud knock at low rpm.  Turned out, every bolt in the flywheel was broken.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »

Well, I got my latest home today (1955 scenicruiser).  Grin  Grin

I had it moved by a first class towing out fit, Bruce's Hauling, in Lexington, SC. Bruce said he bases his fees on rig used & time away from shop.

Bruce said the 1 centrally located hauler would take too long to get to the disabled coach to be practical, cost wise & time wise.

He said that the best solution would be to have access to many, many haulers all over the country. This will minimize mileage & time on the job costs.

He also pointed out height issues. A landoll deck is 3’, add a 11’ coach & a 14’ overpass becomes a reroute that can add more miles & time away from the shop. A wrecker towing a coach minimizes over height issues.

Bruce let me ride in the big truck  Grin , a 2000 Pete 379 with a 550 CAT. That was fun.  Grin  Grin

I posted a picture for your review, (Thanks Richard!  Grin )

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:42:49 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 06:45:24 AM »

Any luck with a road service provider?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: