Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 09:32:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeaaaaa! Got my bus...need help already (mirrors)  (Read 1609 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2006, 08:10:37 PM »

Just bought our bus yesterday!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Pictures are coming, be patient. As soon as I started driving it home, I found a problem. The passenger side mirror is almost worthless! The bus is a 1973 MCI 7. It appears to have the factory mirrors. If I adjust the passenger side mirror out far enough to see down the side of the bus past the awning brackets, the head is hidden behind the windshield corner post. It appears a longer arm would solve the problem. I also would like a bigger mirror. I think some are for sale new for big bucks but is there any reasonable (read "cheap") alternative? I don't need heated or remote control or anything.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
vaunter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »

hi i allso have a mci7
and i must agree the factory mirrors are horrid
i can live with my drivers side with 2 bubble mirrors attached...even tho not happy with it
but the passangers side is a joke with major blind spots
ive ben thinking how i can get a larger mirror or maybe 2 mirrors on that side so i stop squishing things in my yard.....lol
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »

I agumented my factor mirrors with a variety of add on mirror assemblies. Napa had a good selection of add ons that look good and not expensive. I would also look at adding the larger 4 or 5 inch round units on the bottom. You can see my add ons from the picture I have posted at this site I think on page 9 or 10. MCI 9 with burgundy rub rails. The mirrors are originals that were polished and rehab using new parts. They work great and provide good vision.

Good luck!  Ron the busnut had some really good mirrors I put on my last bus.!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
belfert

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 05:30:30 AM »

Good luck!  Ron the busnut had some really good mirrors I put on my last bus.!

Yes, Ron has some good mirrors.  I just visited RontheBusNut's warehouse last week.  He had some of the European style mirrors like used on the new Setras and such for $125 per side.  They are full power.  I want to get a set if I can figure a way to mount them.

The website is still down, but the number is 800-798-9313.

Brian Elfert
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:37:13 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have not squished anything yet but I have only had the bus 3 days Grin  Grant, I checked out your bus pics. Something like that would work maybe but I like the drivers seat all the way back ( I am going to move it back...long legs) & the windshield post would still be in the way. Thanks for the number Brian. I will see what Ron has. Meanwhile, I am thinking about just taking the arm off & having my son-in-law who owns a machine shop cut it in two and make it longer. I think a 6" extention would solve my problems. Has anyone ever done that?

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »

Congrats Sax and welcome to the bus world.

I mine has plates mounted to the mirror screws and round mirrors from the local truck place.  I think the mirrors were 12 or 15 bucks each.  you can see them at the link on th bus after paint.

good luck

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »

Hi oldmansax ,

Congratulations on the new bus!  I'll never forget the special fun we experienced the first few days with our new bus. 

Maybe post something over in the "Spare Tire" looking for a cheap mirror - for $50 or so - maybe someone is looking to get rid of something that may help you.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: