Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:39:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: model 01 brake upgrade/30/36 chambers?  (Read 1056 times)
1960eagle

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »

thinking about getting rid of dd3 and going with 30 0r 36 spring brake chambers on the drive and tag.any input? tired of not feeling secure when braking   
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

Send me your unwanted DD3's!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »

1960, the DD3's are not the problem the 01 and the early 05 didn't have good brakes new,problem is they don't have enough braking surface 4 inch wide shoes on the front and tag with 7 inch on the rear.
Try changing the lining to a truck style and adjust the throw on the cans it will help and do away with the DD3's at that time.
The best is to install late model  (1977) up drums and shoes they are 6 inches wide for the front and tag with 9 in on the rear it is pretty costly and a lot of work but it will stop then.  
I have a friend parting out a model 10 that has the wide shoes and drums with the backing plates everything you need he will probably sell those at scrap prices pm me and I'll give you his number.FWIW a Jake will help a bunch also

good luck
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:14:51 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:52:58 AM »

I installed 30/30 spring brake cans on our Eagle 01 rear axle, due to a leaking DD3. This was also due to the price on replacing the DD3's, whew, they want an arm and a leg for just the rebuilt ones, if you can find them. After all the change over, which is fairly easy, the best thing I did was adjusting each slack. That made a big difference! But as Clifford says, the small shoes on our 01's do not do a great job of stopping these beasts.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: