Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:26:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best drivers seat for long haul comfort?  (Read 8607 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:49 AM »

I had a problem with my drivers seat on my trip - it's a take-out from a late model GM pickup, and got quite uncomfortable after a few hours.  So I spent a really long time on the road thinking about what is the best seat for the long haul?  I have to think the truckers have this figured out.  What about an air ride seat of some sort?  Brands that are good?

Thanks, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:07:27 AM »

watching reply close! I have bad back and am shopping for seat..been told that sometimes large truck dealers(freightlinner etc)have new takeouts at reduced prices..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »

Guys try Durham Seat www.durhamseats.com in WA good buys there sometimes on all brands and types

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:50:03 AM »

Elite 80 is the Pete drivers choice in the Oil Patch , they run around 750.00 each FWIW

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »

The elite 80 is the choice of the HDT people on escapees.  My shorty Prevost has an air ride seat of unknown origin installed by the previous owner, and after spending a little time in the passengers seat, I am glad he did.  Great ride and although I have only spent about 300 miles in it at a time, it is very supportive and comfortable.

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:38 AM »

I have no doubt that the long haul trucker seats are made very well for long term comfort.  They would almost have to be.  But if you want to take another shot at a low cost takeout from a scrap yard try a driver seat out of a minivan.  My bad back loves them for long rides.  Especially the Ford Aerostar's of the early 90's (I think the Windstars that followed got a similar one, but haven't sat in one) and the mid 2000's Chrysler Town and Country minivans.
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:22:13 AM »

I haven't been in a truck for a few years so my choices may be a little dated but... I am a big fan of Bostrom seats.  They made a Talledaga series that was good.  Get the wide version as it is more comfortable.  You need to make sure that the seat bottom (where you sit) is long enough to support your entire thigh or your legs will tire soon and your hips will hurt.  Also make sure that the lumbar support fits your back properly otherwise you have a lump in your back but not the support that your need.  Many of the upgrade seats have air bladders that you can use to custom fit the seat to your contours.  This may be something to consider especially for the lumbar region.  Make sure that the glide position works properly if you use it.  This will also take away some of the beating that your back receives but you have to get used to the seat moving fore and aft while driving.  Some brands glide like butter on a hot skillet and others like mollasses in January.  Lastly my choice of suspension for the seat was the X type as opposed to the lever type since with wear, the lever type will rock side to side as the slop gets greater but the X type never have this issue. 
You can spend a bunch of money here depending on the options but in the end if you are going to put long hours in the seat, then you need a good seat.  Stop a a large truck dealer and try them out.  Most have them on display and there are always plenty of drivers willing to give you an opinion...even if it is not about seats.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
cody

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

One thought, instead of the drivers seat from a van try the center seat from a full sized conversion van, the drivers seat only moves back and forth where the center seat normally has the swivel option and also often have both armrests where the drivers seat many times only has the armrest on the right, I bought 2 center seats made by flexsteel from a full sized conversion van for the revcon from a salvage (junk yard) lol, got the full recline, swivel, and heat feature along with both armrests, the seats are unusually tall, the headrests are higher than my head so I can pull into a rest stop and tip the seat back and be completely comfortable, the swivel feature makes for easy access and when spun around makes another seating position for the living area and they are extremely confortable for the long haul, I've got an air ride seat in the bus and it's very comfortable too but kinda bouncy for me, hard to adjust for my lard butt, but the nice thing is that I can adjust it on the road and get a slightly different ride.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:17 AM »

The best seat for me was stretched out on the couch and let the wife drive worked every time I had a back ache

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »

I remember in the 70's renting a Horizon motorhome (the epitome of el cheapo sticks and staples) and they had great looking high back driver and passenger seat.  Even though I couldn't drive yet (was 14 at the time) they were the biggest piles of junk and were extremely uncomfortable causing back ache.  On the other hand, I've had Bostrom seats in my trucks (my current truck that I'm converting has low rise seats [the PO wore cowboy hats while driving]) and you can go for hours on end.

Some of the professional drivers seats to look at are Bostrom, Sears (not the store), National, Freightliner (we make our own seat).  In our cushy air suspension ride buses, you don't need the air suspension seat.  I have a very ugly original low back National seat with black vinyl in my bus that I normally low ride (all the way down).  The only time I put air in is to push me all the way up to the top when running into the sun.  Flexsteel and other RV type seats look really good, but just don't have the many options truck driver seats have-like multiple air inflate lumbar support, adjustable thigh support, heated seats; choice of vinyl, utlra-leather, leather, or cloth (I always prefer cloth-it's the coolest on the tush).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »

I have heard that bus seats are very comfortable.  If you find someone who is converting a bus to a motorhome, maybe you could get a seat from them.  They generally recline a little and come in durable decorative fabrics.  Most have never been vomited on!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »

I have an ISRI air ride seat in my bus. Came with it when I bought it. Very comfortable and it automatically adjusts to your weight. Also has many optional adjustments on it.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

The best seat for me was stretched out on the couch and let the wife drive worked every time I had a back ache

Now that's what i call a good suggestion!  Smiley

i have a steelcase captains which is ok.  i added elec adjustable 6 way base, so moves any way i want.  i did notice the steering wheel seems in wrong position after holidays, tho.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »

My bus came with the air ride seat, I probably wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't came with it, it's very hard for me to justify paying 600 to 1200 or more for a special seat to park my carcus in when I can get a perfectly fine seat in almost new condition for 25 bucks at a salvage yard.  Many on here have very deep pockets or work for dealerships where they can buy at cost or a discount prices, thats not an option I have so I have to sometimes be a little more creative and look further to find a deal I can handle.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »

I have heard that bus seats are very comfortable.  If you find someone who is converting a bus to a motorhome, maybe you could get a seat from them.  They generally recline a little and come in durable decorative fabrics.  Most have never been vomited on!

I still have I still have 5 left, never been Vomited on lol!  Grin make me an offer that I cannot refuse and their yours, pretty comfy & recline too. I might even consider letting my stock air ride pedestal go too, I like the LOW RIDER position of a swivel base.

V.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: