Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 11:05:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rotella-t straight 40  (Read 5985 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »

i just called 6 parts stores and 1 truck garage and no one had straight 40 in stock, 3 of the parts stores wouldn't even order it, including farm and fleet.

i did find 3 cases at $36 per.

anyone else having issues.  i have developed a bigger leak (based on tow vehicle chains) lately that i'm trying to track down, but i found myself buying a gal of 15-40 to get by cause no one had 40wt in stock and i was on the road for 2 days, used up my last gal on the bus.  All the parts stores taking 2 to 3 days to order it, if they could get it at all.

that's why i'm thinking of 3 cases which i hope would be more than enough to get to jack's in December.  and it's a good price.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »

NAPA has it in some stores or can get it in a short time. Try Tractor Supply or O'Reilly's Auto parts.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ROTELLA&174;-T-Single-Grade-40W-Shell_8120023-P_N3262_T|GRP2046____

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

len, i called advanced auto.  manager said wouldn't order it and don't have it.  actually didn't think they did, but i though i'd check to see if they had a lower price.  two parts stores said they could get it in 2 days for $14.50/gal, one said overnight, the rest said no way they would get it for me.  didn't ask about pay first or anything special.

usually any real auto/truck parts store would order it.  in this case even a truck sales/service, nor a few real auto parts stores would bother with it.  made me think it might be getting harder to find.

Tom

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »

advanced has delo 400 and if you order on line for store pick up  it is $13.99 a gal  and if you spend certain ammounts you get up to %20 back$$$

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:07:39 AM »

I would skip the parts houses and go directly to the distributor.  When I called the local distributor and asked about it the only question was what size container I wanted.

Good luck
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »

Tom,
   I get it at Maason Oil in Arcadia (distrubutor).  Last time I went in the young lady said "Good news, the case price has dropped, but the bad news is a case is now 3 gallon instaed of 6 gallon".  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »

Desi, you did mean Delo 100, right?  Not Delo 400.  100 is what you want.

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »

Tom, if ever in a bind for oil your Detroit dealer will have it for about the same price, it won't be the rotella-t  it will be real oil those 92 series love the Rotella they drink it or leak it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
dickegler

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »

Hi,I ordered 2cases delo st 40 from o'riley's and had it the next day

Dickegler

dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »

Tom, if ever in a bind for oil your Detroit dealer will have it for about the same price, it won't be the rotella-t  it will be real oil those 92 series love the Rotella they drink it or leak it

good luck

Mine don't, but that is me (Y'know what I mean right?) I get it straight from the distributor at about $11 per.  NAPA has it but you have to pre-order it, no problem, tell 'em on Monday drive to town on Wednesday.

BCO

baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »

In an emergency, Walmart has it in 30 wt.   Better than running low and good for cooler temps.
eddieboy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »

I just bought 2 gallons at my local Advance Auto.  Why don't you click the "customer care" link on the bottom of the advance webpage and ask if they will ship it to your local store?
Ed

Ed Spohr/1962 PD4106/8V71/4Speed/Zion,Ill/Far North East Corner of Illinois
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »

i never could get the weights straight for temp.  glad to know 30 is thinner, and i suppose 20 is even thinner, but too thin for DD.

i did get my 3 cases from a distributor, and cheaper by 3 bucks than any parts place($12/gal or $36/case).  parts places were $15/gal

O'Reilly not around here, and williams was too far away to get real DD oil.

my point was not so much where to buy, but whether or not it was getting difficult to get.  previous threads had hinted at refineries quit making st 40 becuase no one needs it as much.  after this discussion, seems like it's just fewer places stocking it in these tight money times.  But you can always get it from the way it sounds right now.  just might take a day or so.

st 30 seems to be readily available, as is 40 wt for gas engines, not cf2 or cf4 listing on the label.
in any case, 3 cases ought to hold til i reach arcadia at least.

Tom

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »

Desi, you did mean Delo 100, right?  Not Delo 400.  100 is what you want.

the p/o used delo 400 so i bought 5 gallons to replace what i lost when i hit the rock.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:06 AM »

Wrong stuff Desi, you need Delo 100.

Hand Made Gifts

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:23 AM »

Yep, 40 is definetely getting harder to get. We get ours from Napa, have to order it, and sometimes it takes them forever to get it. We always get extra and keep it with us, as you cant just walk in and get it.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »

Desi, you are fine with the Delo 400 it states very clear on the jug meets MTU 2 engine requirements a MTU 2 engine is the DD 2 strokes and FWIW any 40 w oil with the CF rating will work in a 2 stroke they all have to meet the EPA requirements of less than 1% ash contents been that way since 2008 for all C rated oils.
confusing now just wait till 2011 Exxon/Mobil has reclassified their XD 40 W now it will no longer be available under that label

good luck

Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »

I don't mean to be unnecessarily argumentative.  All I know is what I read.  This is from the Chevron web site.
http://www.chevronlubricants.com/products/diesel-gasoline-engine-oils.aspx

Delo 400 10W, 20, 30, 40, 50

Delo 400 heavy-duty motor oils are mixed fleet engine oils recommended for older four-stroke diesel and gasoline engines. Formulated with advanced additive technology, they provide excellent control of deposits and sludge, minimizing oil consumption and optimizing engine overhaul intervals.

Delo 100 Motor Oil

High-performance crankcase oils recommended for use in farm machinery, construction equipment, marine, older two- and four-stroke diesel engines, and other off-highway applications where the SAE 30 or 40 grades are specified by the OEM. 

Len

Hand Made Gifts

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »

That has been the same for years all I ask is read the jug the Delo 400 15/40 will not have the ratings for the MTU 2 engines same with the Texaco brand and read the EPA mandates for 2007 "all C rated engine oil will be less than 1% ash" and for 2012 less than 0.05 Exxon/Mobil is all ready there,Delo 100 will be a thing of the past wait and see just like the CF-2 rating is gone for new oil.I do like Chevron's marketing now the Delo 100 is a high performance oil now

good luck
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:28:32 PM by luvrbus » Logged

cody

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »

Or you can slide a collection pan under the engine of an MCI lol  Grin Grin Grin  ( I hate myself now lol) ( almost lol)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »

I would skip the parts houses and go directly to the distributor.  When I called the local distributor and asked about it the only question was what size container I wanted.

The best way.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »

the 100 is .76%ash and the 400 is 1.0% my question is should i remove all the 400 and replace with 100?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »

Desi -

the 100 is .76%ash and the 400 is 1.0% my question is should i remove all the 400 and replace with 100?

Don't worry about it until your next oil change.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »

All good info!

Here is what i know,
Use Delo 100 40W!! If you cannot get it you can use RotellaT 40W in a pinch. I am not going to go into the reasons as I hate arguing.

Every O'Riley auto parts can get the oil you need. The problem is they do not know how to order it or even look it up. Have them put this info in their little computer:
For Delo 100 40 wt, in the ITEM NUMBER, enter 100-40-1, in the LINE CODE, enter CHV

That will get you Gallons of Delo 100 40W. Cases are now 3 gals instead of the 6 we are all used to. Keep several cases on hand in case you have some kind of problem or need to change it for some reason.

In addition to being a bus owner, I drive entertainer coaches for a living. Most all of the Eagles and some of the old Prevost busses have 2 strokes. When I am driving one of them, I keep a few cases. Sometimes while on tour I need an oil change. I have never seen a Speedco or any other truck stop oil change place cary the Delo 100. By having the oil I avoid having to find it wherever I am.

Like other said, you are better buying it from a warehouse at home. I am in the Austin area and I get it from Arnold Oil Co. They are the Chevron distributer for this part of Texas. I have no problem getting it.

If you have an O'riley auto parts, you can get it too. It takes a little work but it is very much worth the effort.

On a side note I was in the T/A or Flying J in Redding, Ca and was talking about the problems locating the oil. They had some they wanted to get rid of. I bought just short of a full pallet of it from them for $4.99 A GALLON. That was a big time score for me. Thank god I had room to carry it home. I shouldn't have to buy oil for a long time.

If anyone has trouble finding oil, call me and I will find some for you. Please do not use 15W/40.

Best,
Justin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »

Justin -

Every O'Riley auto parts can get the oil you need. The problem is they do not know how to order it or even look it up. Have them put this info in their little computer:

For Delo 100 40 wt, in the ITEM NUMBER, enter 100-40-1, in the LINE CODE, enter CHV

Now THAT's useful information!!!

(I wonder if substituting a "5" for the "1" in the above item number would get you five gallon pails???)

With all the major parts houses using computers instead of catalogs nowadays, having a part number works so much better since you don't force the counter guys into trying to think.  Which a majority of wouldn't know how to do.  ("I'm sorry, it's not in the computer. . ."  -- idiots!)

What's the part number for D-100 when you get it from Arnold Oil?  Could that be the actual Chevron number?  (That's what we really need - Chevron's part number for gallons, five gallons and 55 gallons.  Armed with that, we should be able to get it from any distributor!  Hmmmm. . . off to do some research!)

Thanks for the great post!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »

Here, we have Kragan which is owned by O'Riley.  I tried to buy it there.  They really made an attempt.  They even found the part number on a printout they had and called a warehouse.  However, they said they could not get it in CA.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

My adventures at O'Reillys.  I went to my friendly O'Rielly's with Justin item numbers in hand.  When I talked to the lad taking the order he tried to order from his warehouse they were out, and the computer would not allow him to order from other warehouses.  So an adult said that they could call another regional distributor and they could order from any warehouse.  Which they did.  So today I picked up my order.   Hmmmm instead of gallons I got quarts, and they are O'Reilly's brand not Delo.  Have no clue who makes their oil. Now what?

Chuckd
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »

Could be an honest mistake on O'Reily's part.  I would take it back and point out the error and see if they can resolve it.

Since the API has retired the CF-2 service rating, I wonder if O'Reily's system showing it as not available could mean that Chevron is ending production of Delo 100 and distributors might be just working from their own inventories until it is gone?  The exact text of the API announcement about the end of the CF-2 rating did indicate that not only would they no longer certify oils to that rating, but they also stated that CF-2 could no longer be printed in the API service ring on packaging.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/upload/CF_2noticelicensees.pdf

How this action by API affects current and potential API licensees depends on the claims now made by the licensees and those that potential licensees might wish to make. Currently-licensed API CF-2 products will need to be either upgraded to a more recent diesel engine oil service category (for example, CH-4, CI-4, or CJ-4) or removed from the license. Specific information on how APIís decision will affect licenses is provided below:

- After February 1, 2010, oil marketers will not be permitted to use CF-2 inside the API Service Symbol ďDonut.Ē Oils that only claim to meet API CF-2 will be removed from licenses on February 1.
- API has ceased licensing new oils against the CF-2 specification.
- Oils that include CF-2 as one of a series of engine oil categories claimed (for example, API CF, CF-2/SJ) will remain on the license after February 1, minus the CF-2 claim.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 05:11:49 AM »

The exact text of the API announcement about the end of the CF-2 rating did indicate that not only would they no longer certify oils to that rating, but they also stated that CF-2 could no longer be printed in the API service ring on packaging.

That's curious Mike because I just bought new production Rotella T-1 40W and it does have the CF2 rating printed in the service ring. I was concerned about the "T-1" branding so I specifically looked for the CF2 rating and there it was.

Last winter I was able to find Delo 100 at Cenex farm supply centres on the west coast but I can't remember if that was in California or further north.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:52 AM »

I just changed oil before we went on a 2450 mi vacation trip and this is the extra gal I carry with me ( I didn't need to open it  Cheesy - used about 3/8" on the stick).  Our local NAPA store ordered it for me. Took a couple of days to get.  This was about two months ago, so I think it's new stuff.  The front says 'High Performance' ( like Clifford said ).

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »

FWIW Bob the new API rating is PC-10 less than 1% ash  Exxon/Mobil has stopped using the old  API symbol and Exxon has also discontinued the 40w now it has to be bought under the Delvac name by Mobil  

good luck

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »

Cliff, thanks. I was about to post to ask "what rating do we now look for if the CF-2 rating is gone?"

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »

Had to go have another look at the jug and turns out there's no API circle anywhere on it.  Instead it has a little panel with API CF-2 listed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:52:13 AM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »

Had to go have another look at the jug and turns out there's no API circle anywhere on it.  Instead it has a little panel with API CF-2 listed.

That is what I kind of thought exisiting manufacturers of CF-2 rated oil might do as long as they still had a market for it.  Put it on the packaging but not in the API ring.  The tricky issue there is that off-brands could easily put it on their label without it actually meaning anything.  So I would somewhat trust brands that already had CF-2 rated oil that now put it on the packaging apart from the API ring.  But I wouldn't trust at all a brand that previously didn't have it that suddenly did it that way.
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »

Went back to O'Reillys and returned the O'Reilly brand of 40 wt. and ordered the last 6 cases of Delo 100 they had in stock.  We will see what happens this time.

Chuckd  The Prevost who would be short.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »

Jack is more right than wrong. We need to find a dependable oil distributor and place our order well in advance of the need to change the oil. We live in a society where lead time must be on our side because the bean counters in the retail stores, NAPA, Advance, O'Reilly and the rest are only looking at their monthly sales and long term stocking is now out of the question.

FWIW,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »

Ain't that the truth Bob.  Someday when some idiot says "I could get it for you by Monday" I'm going to feed him his computer keyboard.  Drugstores don't even stock drugs anymore.  I'm on Lipitor - wouldn't that be the most common drug prescribed to middle aged men??  and Safeway has to order it in if I want more than 30 days supply.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: