Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Buffer Switch  (Read 5001 times)
ojgetaway32

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »

Does anyone have a Fast Idle Jake Buffer Switch for sale?  I have an MC9 with an 8v92 that I added Jakes to.

Thanks to all.

Josh

Josh Miller, Attorney, hockey player, son, brother, friend and busnut...
1983 MCI MC9 8V71 and a 5 Speed
Wheeling, WV
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »

Put me second in line.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »

I have called my Jake dealer to see if they are still avaliable and what the cost is. The last one I bought cost over 600.00

I will let you know asap.

Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »

I have a used one left but it was promised to somebody here on the board,we went on vacation and I got a new Apple lap top a few days ago and have lost all the info and I don't won't to pay to download the hard drive from the HP those computer guys think they are a Detroit dealer with their prices. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »

clifford, send the disk to me, and i'll put it into a usb external adaptor and send it back to you.  after you get back what you need by transferring it to your new hard drive on the mac, then you can use it for a backup drive.

or tell me what you want done with it.  i owe you.

Don,
I'm not sure i need a $600 jake fast idle switch, but put me on the list if you find a bunch, just in case.  right now, my right foot works just fine.  as soon as the air is up, i either put it in gear, or shut it off until i'm ready. 

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »

Since mine went south, I manually turn the jake on and off. I can't justify the price if all I've lost is the convenience of it shutting off the jake when I accellerate. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, thanks, Will

stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »

Looks like the new switch is Jake Part Number 01-022351 or Detroit Diesel part 1022351.

http://www.jakebrake.com/pdf/sle465.pdf

Powerline sells them for 182.77.   Still very expensive, but better than $600.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/

Steve
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:44:10 PM »

When Don installed the Jake recently, we went with a buffer switch that did not accommodate fast idle due to the cost.  I think that the one linked by Steve is like that.  I do not miss having the fast idle since I prefer not to idle at all if I can help it.  The switch is in the area of $200. and is worth having even if it is high.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:46:01 PM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »

Steve;

You are looking at the standard Jake switch, these guy's are talking about the highidle Jake switch. A diffrent animal and not cheep.

Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »

Yep the fast idle switch is 702.00 at WW Williams, another option for you guys if you don't have a cruise control you can buy the King Cruise with fast idle but you still need the standard buffer switch and with that they are around the same price as the fast idle Jake switch.

good luck

ojgetaway32

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »

Luvrbus:

That was me you promised it too!  : )
I knew I would find you again...
Email me at ojgetaway32@aol

Thanks,

Josh

Wheeling, WV
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »

I bought my fast idle Jake buffer switch from MCI about 4 years ago I think about $260.00 and I thought that was nuts

Rick 74 MC-8

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »

When we installed our Jake brake we chose to use the Jake foot peddle instead of the buffer switch. I really like this setup because the Jake does not come on everytime I want to take my foot off the pedal and coast. We installed the Jake peddle next to the headlight dimmer switch and if I want to activate the Jake I just press on the peddle. Sometimes on a long gradual grade the Jake is too much to keep on all the time so I can let off the peddle to coast and then press again if my speed picks up. Works great for me as I am more in control.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »

Hey Tom,

Sounds like that  set up is something I want to look into more.

Is that peddle control avaiable from Jacobs??

thanks

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:37 AM »

Even with the foot control he needs a buffer switch wiring a Jake direct will come back to haunt you

good luck

tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »

Hey Paso, It is a Jacobs part. Friend of mine who has worked on 2 strokes all his life ordered it for me and advised me to install it.

Hey Clifford, The only disadvantage I can see to it is the possiblility to press the peddle while having the throttle depressed and that could, I understand, damage the valves.  Anything else I need to know about? The peddle is in front of the high/ lo / off switch on the dash and provides 12 volts to that switch.

Thanks,
Tom hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

Tom

I have the switch on my dash. It supplies the 12 volts to the buffer switch. if it is off no jackes   if on jackes work through the buffer switch.

wish I was at the rally hope all is doing good.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

The whole point of the buffer switch is to turn the Jakes off when you use the accelerator.  This is important.  You could do it manually, but it is probably asking for trouble.  Anyway, it does not matter whether your Jake on/off switch is on the dash or floor.  Whatever your preference there does not erase the need for the buffer switch.  Since the buffer switch uses the same port as used by the high idle, you can choose to get the simple buffer switch and do without high idle.  If you really think you need high idle, then you use a buffer switch the incorporates both functions.  That is the one that is so expensive.  In any case, there are lots of places to try to save some money, but I do not think that doing without a buffer switch is a good one.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »

I'm I correct in surmising that the high idle buffer switch detects high idle and turns the jakes off (as well s functioning as a regular buffer)..  In that case could one not simply turn off the jakes when idling/high idling?  Does one not need to have operational OTR OEM AC for the high idle to be useful?

Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

Huh
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:17:07 PM by Rick 74 MC-8 » Logged

Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »

Zub

The combo switch just lets the fast idle air cyl push on the buffer rod that comes out of the governor pass Thu the switch the switch only closes went the rack is a no fuel and really has nothing to do with the fast idle except using the buffer rod fast idle pushes it in switch closes when full out (no fuel)

Rick 74 MC-8

Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

Anyway, it does not matter whether your Jake on/off switch is on the dash or floor.  Whatever your preference there does not erase the need for the buffer switch.  Since the buffer switch uses the same port as used by the high idle, you can choose to get the simple buffer switch and do without high idle. 

I wasn't looking to elimanate the buffer switch or it's cost. I was thinking I wouldn't have to put down my Diet coke to get a free hand to switch the toggle Smiley I have two feet that hardly do anything with the automatic Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »

Hey fellas,
I did not replace the dash high/lo switch with the foot pedal, just added it in front of the switch to supply 12 volts to the switch. The foot pedal replaces the buffer switch so that I can coast without the jake coming on or turning the dash switch off and on.  I actually use it as an additional brake pedal. This way may not be for everyone but it works for me.
If there are warnings that I need to be aware of please let me know. I am always open to learn.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »

What I do is either toggle the dash switch on and off manually, or just barely crack the throttle pedal and the buffer switch turns the jakes off.  If you have a buffer switch to make sure that you never have the jakes on when the throttle is open, then I don't see the difference between using a foot switch, using the  dash switch or cracking the throttle to open the buffer switch.  The electrons get interrupted the same either way.  My setup also has the clutch switch, I can get the same effect by riding the clutch pedal a bit, taking up free play. but I don't do that.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »

Tom, the governor and buffer controls the Jake's on the 2 strokes they disengage at 900 rpm and that is done to protect the engine just be careful you are a smart guy may not ever be a problem for you, just not my way of installing one  

good luck
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:37:37 AM by luvrbus » Logged

tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »

Thanks Clifford,  I appreciate the info.  I have the buffer switch and could install it and still use my pedal the same way I do now to provide power to the dash switch. This would offer me the protection of not accidently hitting the pedal during throttle application but still have the control I like of not having it apply on every release of the throttle.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »

I still don't see why a any old old switch couldn't be used instead `actually in both applications (regular and high idle).  Cruise controls usually have 2 of these for clutch and brake to disengage.  I mention this because this post started with concern for the high cost of the switch.  Plus I know !%&* about jakes and making ignorant suggestions sometimes gets me the info I need.  Oh and I will get jakes one day, and when I do maybe I'll have a clue.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

I think there are too many switches being talked about!  The buffer switch is required for jake brake control that automatically turns off if the speed lever isn't all the way closed.  Two different kinds of buffer switch - expensive kind that only controls the jake switch, and really expensive kind that also incorporates the high idle air cylinder.  The high idle function is incorporated in the buffer switch, but it's pretty much separate from the jake brake switching function.

The other switches are the control switches on the dash, on the clutch pedal and maybe a foot switch.  These work in combination with the buffer switch so that you have different  ways of controlling the jake operation to suit your taste.  The clutch switch ensures that the engine keeps running if the jake switch is on, throttle pedal is up and the clutch is in, like when you are sitting at a stop light.  You can wire the dash switch so you have high and low jake action, which is either one bank (of a V-engine) is active, or both banks, or the equivalent in a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. 

What I suspect is not usual is having jake brakes and not having a buffer switch at all.  That would let you have the jake on while you were asking for power, with the injectors injecting and all of that, and I have no idea what would happen, probably little that was good.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

And for us folk blessed / cursed with DDEC, is the buffer switch replaced by a function within the DDEC?   Why I'm asking is that my high idle doesn't work, and I'm wondering what it would take (apart from $$$$) to get everything working right.

Many thanks, John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »

[What I suspect is not usual is having jake brakes and not having a buffer switch at all.  That would let you have the jake on while you were asking for power, with the injectors injecting and all of that, and I have no idea what would happen, probably little that was good.
Brian]

I can tell you what happened when my buffer switch failed, if you're interested. Aw heck, I'll tell you anyway since I don't have anything else happening right now. Grin After coming down a long grade with the Jake on, I stepped on the throttle to maintain speed and the coach kept slowing. It felt as though the engine had died. I went from 60MPH down to 35MPH before I realized that the engine was still running but with no power. I flipped off the dash Jake switch and noticed a huge cloud of blue smoke in the rear mirror followed immediately by a surge of power and a huge amount of relief on my part. This is the only time I have had the throttle depressed with the Jake switched on. I think I got lucky because she still runs like a champ after that incident, but now I have to manually switch on the Jakes when I need them and then flip them off before I need power. It's not a big deal to me, since I grew up driving a dump truck that worked the same way. FWIW-my high idle still works, Will Grin

ojgetaway32

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »

Clifford:

By your lack of direct contact to me, should I assume you no longer want to sell your used Jake Buffer to me?

Josh

Wheeling, WV
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »

Josh, I have been busy with a wedding for my daughter and have a house full of inlaws and such I will get back to you when I have a little time to test the switch and all these people go home

good luck

deejaaa

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 06:23:18 AM »

*** Moderator Edit:  Item for sale moved to Spare Tire section to comply with forum rules.

I have been an inactive reader of this forum, enjoying all of the bus topics and dreaming. We can't afford one right now, not enough time in our life to enjoy the benefits from one(2 young kids), both working full time. We haven't even taken the camper out once since the kids were born.
Send me a message and I will be happy to work with you.
I apologize if I hijacked this thread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:17:03 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: