Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 08:04:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you have for locks on your Bus's doors??  (Read 2836 times)
BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

Melbo, I happen to be a locksmith and I use those locks all the time. They are called "Narrow Stile Deadlocks w/Mortise Cylinder" and are usually used on Store Front Doors, and on the back you have a "thumbturn cylinder". The mortise cylinders come in sizes: 1",   1-1/8",  and   "1-1/4".  It's a good idea to use those, you just have to have the room (which you do with your door). The only thing you might want to add is a SPIN COLLAR on the outside (mortise cylinder), because without one you can put a wrench or pliers to it and spin that lock off of there and gain entry. If you go to a local locksmith shop they should have them there for you to buy. The COLLARS come in differrent thicknesses and finishes. It will depend on how much room you have to play with. The best thing would be to take the bus by the locksmith shop (if that's an option).

On my Eagle I used a Schlage Deadbolt, and I had to modify it just a bit.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 05:45:40 AM »

I recessed my cylinder flush into the door so no way to grab it BUT if it stuck out then I would have added the collar.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 06:21:20 AM »

My theory is that if you have a lock on the door of something that has windows, the lock is there just to stop casual entry.  Anyone who actually wants to get in (and doesn't own it) just pops a window and carries on.  So I don't worry about the "spin the knob/cylinder off with a pipe wrench" style of entry.  In fact, that very feature has saved my a visit from a locksmith just recently when a key was lost...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: