Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator Exhaust - Running To the Roof  (Read 4159 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

Artvonne,

I was in your camp of thinking CO is heavier, however it is actually carbon monoxide is actually very close to the atmosphere's molecular weight and is neutral neither will it rise nor fall. I was installing CO detectors, previous security installation company work, and I wanted to get it correct. I checked this with several chemical engineers, and it is so. Many fire officials have different opinions than that of mole weight.

Have a great day.

Gary

I just copied the photobucket code and pasted it in a new window and it worked just fine.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »

We had an alignment mechanic that worked in a pit at the end of the shop. They brought several cars in one day and left them running. He ended up at the hospital from carbon monoxide poisoning. I cant argue how close its weight is, I dont really know, its just what ive been told and have read. But seeing as the only guy in the shop to get poisoned with carbon monoxide worked in a pit, its enough evidence for me.   
[/quote]

Art,
I can not deny what you experienced, however I cannot deny nor challenge time worn laws of physics. I understand as to how this gas has a neutral buoyancy within the atmosphere. That could explain as to why the exhaust at floor level was eye level with someone in the pit.
Have a great day.
Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »

On a diesel engine I doubt if the CO will kill you maybe the smell ,they are the preferred engine in mines and boats I read somewhere they are like 5-500 vppm that is not much, maybe the reason that there are a lot more old truck drivers those guys sleep with the pipe overhead also
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:58:21 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »

Thanks Len!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Doug1968

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 06:42:46 AM »

Fellows,

I would sure like not having to deal with an extension for the exhaust. Something else to do and to take care of all the pieces.

Rusty, I like the idea of running the exhaust and the muffler under the bus but does this create more noise? The cooling thought is good prior to going up through the coach.

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »

Doug, No it does not seem to raise the noise level. I think most of the noise is on top of the bus and you can't hear it. Some people on the board have heard my generator and can tell you it is very quiet.

Good Luck Wayne
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »

On my transit, I have the Powertech 10kw mounted next to the driver's seat like a front engine.  The access is through a trap door inside, with 1" foam lead insulation.  Not the best-but after seeing the massive metal supports for the front bumper, I wanted to leave the front bumper in place and not have a slide out.  I actually like having it inside, since it makes for comfortable working from the top of the generator-can get to all sides from the top.  The exhaust exits on the left side just behind the bumper.  I have an 8ft vertical extension (one piece) that I use when dry camping (always set it up anyway in case of power outage [that happens more then you would think]).  The only thing I would suggest is to have a ran cap on the top (flapper) to keep the black soot from blowing out after a rain.  My radiator is remote mounted.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that my setup is much quieter then the so called Quiet Onan Diesels.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »

My generator had no muffler and was a very quiet generator the only time you could hear it run was with the bay door open, Doug heard it run before probably why he was asking about a muffler

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: