Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WINDSHIELD GASKETS needed for 1978 Gillig Neoplan  (Read 1021 times)
whale

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »

I need help locating new windshield gaskets for my 1978 Gillig Neoplan.  I have two new spare windshields to install, but don't want to use the old gaskets.  Gillig no longer carries the gaskets, and I have not had luck locating them on the internet.  Any suggestions?
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »

I would check with a local glass shop, preferably an old independent company.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:01 AM »

We probably need a little help here to point you in the right direction.  I believe you're wise to use new gaskets.  

Gillig and Neoplan were two different, competing bus manufacturers.  Neoplan (USA) is gone, but Gillig is quite active - and my clients who run Gilligs are happy with them.  Their high-floor transit Phantom model was quite popular, and apparently a good, reliable bus.  I don't know much about their current low-floor.    

If it is a 1978 Neoplan, it's likely a German-made coach.  Neoplan USA was just getting into the US transit business the last time I bought a fleet of transits, around 1983.  I don't know if they made coaches in the US before that.

If it is a Gillig, from 1978, I would suspect it to be one of their schoolbus models.  I don't remember them in the transit business until the late 1980's (?).

So, please help us with some more details on the bus.  A photo would also be quite helpful.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

When I read this thread yesterday the first thing I thought was "Gillig & Neoplan are two different makes" - but then I Googled it and found lots of references to 'Gillig Neoplans'. Wikipedia says this:

In 1977, Gillig decided to branch out into the manufacture of transit buses and teamed up with Neoplan to build a series of European-styled transit buses that had the option of propane fueled engines. However, the partnership with Neoplan lasted only until 1979

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

Well, that's a new one on me.

Whale, if you can post a picture of the front end here, maybe someone will come up with an idea?

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:35 PM »

I have an idea which has almost noting to do with this.  I've now installed a few windscreen in the new way (big tall bead of special  gasket caulk/silicone/whatever).  On my VW van you cut a very specific tall "V" into the tip of the caulk tube, lay a tall (2 cm tall, .75 cm wide in think) triangular bead around the openings perimeter, which has a 1" wide strip to accommodate the eventual squeeze.  You then carefully push the glass straight into its position, the caulk sets down evenly, seals and holds the windscreen, a little tape/wait 24 hrs and drive off.  The glass is pre painted/tinted around the perim so you don't see the caulk.
 Anyhow it occurred to me that a soul in need might weld and extra 3/4" of steel around the perim of an opening, apply caulk, and forgo the use of the always irritating, decaying/leaking rubber seal.  I just realized while writing this that the tint on the glass also saves the caulk from UV rads.   Just saying......

Zippymoe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »

Call Luke or Bill at US Coach. The number should be 888-262-2434. That's the first place you need to look. Not sure if they'll have what you need but I'm sure they can point you in the right direction if they don't.
whale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »

thanks
i will call today
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: