Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:37:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone looking to bus pool from Minnesota to Bussin' 11?  (Read 3143 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »

Just a clarification. Since the county charges per night and we have people staying a different number of nights, camping is not included in the rally fee. If you stay in a motel, you pay rally fee only. This fee covers meals, entertainment, seminars and my rally expenses such as table, chair and sound system rental as well as porta-potties and dumpster. The county sets the camping rates which are $25/night for full hook-ups (50 amp) and $5/night for dry camping.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Hey Jack, seeing as how you haven't been home for a while, is the rumor true that the Turner center was ripped off (stolen) of all the electric wire from the sites but from what I heard they have been replaced and fixed? I was told the culprits went in the middle of the night and hooked up to one end of the power line which is under ground and drove off yanking the whole underground cable from out of the conduit. It pulled so much and so much that it actually melted the conduit in places!

Another rumor has it that the Turner center was almost closed due to lack of use causing lack of income but supposedly the city parks and recreation or somebody took over control of it and hopes to keep it open and going. I also heard that the lady that caused the friction between you and I before was dismissed! GOOD!

Remember, these are rumors that were told to me and NOT something I am starting but just asking!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »

Brian, we have quiet a bit of work to do before then, but we are planning on making it. We have someone working on wipers and motor assembly for it, and we have to install the main gen. Try and get the air finished up, and the front entertainment cabinets to be built, and tile to put down in bathroom and middle room,valances to be made, window coverings, etc.  and many misc. things to be done. Cant work on it til Ken gets home the end of Oct. Never been to a rally, looking forward to it.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 04:41:14 AM »

Hey Jack, seeing as how you haven't been home for a while, is the rumor true that the Turner center was ripped off (stolen) of all the electric wire from the sites but from what I heard they have been replaced and fixed? I was told the culprits went in the middle of the night and hooked up to one end of the power line which is under ground and drove off yanking the whole underground cable from out of the conduit. It pulled so much and so much that it actually melted the conduit in places!

Another rumor has it that the Turner center was almost closed due to lack of use causing lack of income but supposedly the city parks and recreation or somebody took over control of it and hopes to keep it open and going. I also heard that the lady that caused the friction between you and I before was dismissed! GOOD!

Remember, these are rumors that were told to me and NOT something I am starting but just asking!

Ace,
   The wiring theft (and repair) was before last years rally, unless it happened again. I won't know about any of the other rumors until we get home and go to a meeting we always have with the staff.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 04:57:01 AM »

Brian, that is a long cold trip alone,(the ride back home i mean! ha ha) Like others have said its alot more fun with the bus! If you do deciede to fly down, fly all the way into central or south Fla and rent a car. Last year me and the dog drove down and we picked up Dori at the Clearwater airport in the bus. Maybe you could drive down and park the bus for a month or two and then drive back. I hate having to drive back north in the winter. good luck. Our goal this year is to actually get to the rally before the next to the last day.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 05:11:21 AM »

Thanks Jack! Didn't realize it was last year but it was just brought up recently about the electric and the take over! It could be old news then again, it could be new. Sometimes it does take a while for info to reach up state! LOL

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 06:39:11 AM »

One of the issues with flying down to Florida between Christmas and New Year's is the expense of a rental car.  $75 a day for the least expensive rental car.  I could save significant money by flying to Atlanta and driving from there even though I would have to drive a significant distance.

It is likely I will be driving my bus down to Arcadia.  I just have to hope there is no ice or snow storm at that time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:53 AM »

fyi  ck allegiance air   they fly low cost 39$ from alot of cities to sanford fla  Orlando area and have rental car deals. that's the way our kids come down for visit in winter..better with bus..about 2 hrs from arcadia..atlanta 8plus hrs

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »

Brian, had not thought about saving money by staying with friends.  Since we don't have any, that is not an option Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »

Brian, had not thought about saving money by staying with friends.  Since we don't have any, that is not an option Grin

I have friends in Atlanta and Orlando.  Atlanta is right on the way, but Orlando is a little bit out of the way.  Even if I drive the bus I will still at least stop on the way there or back, or both even.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

Brian, I agree that your overall experience will be better taking your bus.  But if somehow you end up flying, I would definitely think you would be better off flying to Orlando rather than Atlanta even if the air tickets were about the same.  As you noted car rental is not cheap.  Been a while since I rented one, but in addition to the daily rental there was also a charge per mile over a certain number of miles per day.  Atlanta -> Arcadia = 538 miles. Orlando -> Arcadia = 108 miles.

If you drive your bus down, you will most likely be coming through Chattanooga.  Give me a shout and stop for some coffee and conversation.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »

It is very rare to find a rental car that doesn't have unlimited mileage these days so that isn't a factor. 

Car rental in Fort Myers is $100 a day (before taxes and fees!).  Total would be $600.  A car in Atlanta is only $252 total for two more days rental.  Yes, there is an extra $100 in gas, but the flight is also $100 less to Atlanta.  I think saving $350 would be worth the extra driving particularly since I have friends I can visit in Atlanta.

Probably all a moot point as I am hoping to drive my bus all the way from Minnesota.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »

If you drive your bus down, you will most likely be coming through Chattanooga.  Give me a shout and stop for some coffee and conversation.

Aren't you going to be going down to Bussin' 11?  I'm certain I will be going through Chattanooga at least one way.  I'll have to look you up if you aren't going to Bussin' 11.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »

Unfortunately I won't be able to go this year.  So I will be here and looking forward to visiting with anyone coming down I-75 or I-24 that would like to take a driving break.

Note to all:  Here at the Choo Choo Express garage they have room for anyone that wants to overnite on the way down.  Access to water, sewer dump & trash dumpster.  30A electric for one coach and dry parking for several (with access to the water/sewer dump/trash dumpster).  I can provide short range high speed wifi Internet access.  And if anyone needs any engine/chassis PM or repairs, it is a good place to get it done.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: