Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 12:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-Road Fuel  (Read 4751 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »

In AZ where I live the schools use dyed fuel in their buses and the Indians use it in everything so here we get a 8 cents a gallon break at the pump for RV's under 26,000 lbs 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »

The state of Minnesota checks for dyed fuel at many horse shows and other livestock exhibitions.  Some livestock/horse shows even post on their website that diesel vehicles will be checked.  Apparently farmers like to illegally use their non-taxed fuel in their trucks used on public highways.

I have personally never seen a checkpoint to check for dyed fuel, but I am sure it happens.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »

Personally, I don't mind paying the tax.  It's the amount that goes to the oil company I would like to avoid.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »

I've been told that the DMV can randomly stop you and check your fuel if they want to. I know a guy that was stopped in his 1 ton dually pulling his camper and they checked his fuel. If you google it, you'll see that there is a $10,000 FEDERAL fine for using off-road fuel on the highway.

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »

To expand a bit on what I posted earlier, I think this is an area where jurisdictions differ dramatically in how they treat access to dyed fuel.  The jurisdiction that I am most familiar with controls dyed fuel very carefully.  I can't buy dyed fuel unless my permit to do so is on file at my fuel supplier.  My cardlock card is either validated for dyed fuel or it isn't.  There are no public pumps dispensing dyed fuel.  In Montana however it appears that the dyed pumps are intermingled with the regular pumps.  I just pulled up to the most accessible pump and inadvertently filled with dyed fuel.  That wouldn't be a defense but its what happened and it could easily happen to anybody else whose experience was with a heavily controlled jurisdiction.

Farmers up here used to get pinched for putting dyed fuel in their cars.  The rule here is that dyed fuel only goes in vehicles that are registered to use it - "farm" plates IOW.  I think that whole area has got a little murky since the arrival of SUVs but I haven't really paid much attention to it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »

When I was driving truck, I was stopped on the side of the road in Montana by the DOT for an inspection. They dipped the tank.  I asked if the fuel was red from using ATF in it-would I be fined?  They said that I would be ticketed then the fuel would be analyzed at the lab-which they can tell the difference between ATF and dye.
In my truck, I have a 150 gal fuel tank for the big engine and a 75 gal fuel tank for the generator.  Then I can either run off road fuel, or just keep the receipts for the gen fuel and get a refund at the end of the year.
Bottom line though-it is just not worth the few extra bucks you'd save running red dyed off road fuel (or purple dyed marine fuel) for the cost of the fine.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

I built a 40 gallon tank for the generator and Aqua Hot.  The main reason was to separate out the fuel use to keep better track of mileage with the SilverLeaf and take advantage of the red fuel, if available. 

Up until recently, I have not been able to find red fuel.  Now have a few locations scoped out.  In CO the difference is about $.43 as I recall.  I think most states are in the $.40 -$.50 range.

We have a station close to the house that sells red fuel.  The difference is $.20 so I thought it was not worth it.  Then found out they are pocketing half the difference!!! Angry  Now that I know it is over 40 cents I have been looking more closely for the red fuel.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »

Jim, I thought Co had only a 20.5 cents a gallon on fuel and the Feds have a 5 cents a gallon how in the world would it be 40 cents ?

Sorry about that Jim I read were Co is adding 10 cents a gal tax on fuel in Oct 2010 and the Fed tax is .24 cents now damn no reason fuel cost so much in your state that is .54 cents a gal just in taxes fwiw diesel fuel at the gate today was 2.28.2 per gal a 12% increase is coming next week.
That said Jim the guy was giving you the state tax off that is all he can do it will cost you more than it is worth to fill out the Feds forms to receive their part of the taxes

good luck

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:30:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »

Federal is 24.4/gallon according to this report published by the API:

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/July_2010_Gasoline_and_Diesel_Summary.pdf

It breaks out fuel taxes by state and region as well as average for the U.S.

It reports that in July 2010 the total state and federal excise tax on diesel in Colorado was 44.9/gallon and the national average was 52.5.

Still not worth the risk of getting caught with off road fuel.  Separate tanks make it easier, but considering that atttiude and behavior some folks are seeing in the DOT and related officials lately, you might find yourself being made to prove that there is no hidden way to direct the aux tank to the main one or to the engine.  Even if you don't have to pay the fine, it could make for a pretty unpleasant experience. 

I would still say that if your usage is enough to make it worth doing anything, the better bet is buy road fuel and apply for the refund.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »

This is stupid I just checked some fuel bills for 2000 and I was paying .58 cents a gal for off road fuel now it is over 2 bucks but on the news today they are saying don't worry no inflation so us old folks don't get a cost of living adjustment again this year wouldn't do any good anyway they just raise your Medicare payments lol

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »

OK.I agree it's not worth the fine!but why can't they get us a highway fuel that will equal the performance of the off road in our two strokes?

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »

Robert,

I think you are mistaken in your belief.  There is absolutely no difference between off road and highway fuel except for the dye, which is added as the fuel goes into the tanker truck.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »

according to our local co-op there is 5 points difference.and better upper cyl lube for 2 stroke..Ill Basin crude..for some reason several years ago I did test and got about a full mpg better mileage over 600 miles..I use upper cyl lube additive now.do I need it don't know but it is cheap.I did tell a difference in power..not a scientific test or conclusion. Not worth the ticket. The test was during the time the fed relaxed the band do to a shortage of highway fuel.  Only lasted July til Oct 1st.in our area..whats the difference in centane for veggie diesel?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »

Bob, as of June 2010 both are the same with sulfur ppm 15 no more heavy fuel any longer for us install a fuel cooler on the 8v92 it will make a big difference in the power.

good luck
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:49:38 PM by luvrbus » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

thanks for explanation!fuel cooler? like trans cooler on outside radiator? would be easy.  Bob

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: