Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 08:30:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking on dirt...  (Read 1116 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:29:28 AM »

Putting the bus away for the winter  Sad . Where Im storing it this year, the driverside will be sitting on dirt and/or grass. Not worried about it sinking in, bit concerned about the tire sitting in wet mud for 6 months. any thoughts ? Do I have anything to worry about. What have you guys done in the past ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »

Mine sinks right in to the mud in the spring, I prefer to drive it up on some blocking  This kills 2 birds as I can then get under there for repairs/modifications, you would the think the winter would be a bad time for this, but I am often underemployed in the winter.  So it goes, bring on the snow.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:32 AM »

can't see where it would hurt to be wet..would make sure they are at air pressure though..might park on boards to spread out weight and make easier to get out in case you decide to just take it to Florida for a winter break..sun does more damage than anything,setting flat with no or low air is right up there also..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »

My bus sits in my backyard on an area covered in river rock.  No issues to date.  I did store it at a gravel storage lot one winter and it sunk in enough that wouldn't move in the spring.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »

I had new tires put on and the GM of the tire place asked how long and where I intended to park my rig for long storage.  He stated that if I'd put some wood between my tires and the damp ground or damp rocks it would help the life of my tires. Just some food for thought.

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »

Well, looks like I'm gonna park it up on some 4x4s. Itll keep the tires off the ground and keep me level. Thanks to all who replied.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: