Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 07:13:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 120V Halogen puck lights  (Read 1925 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »

I'm quietly going CRAZY! Huh  Our new cabinets are under construction for the bus and it's almost pat time where he have to think about the lighting. Undecided :

In removing to old cabinet, over the dinette, I've discovered that the 3 puck lights were 120VAC Halogen's simnply connected to a Leviton (incandescant) dimmer...and they really did a nice job.  FWIW, the lights were (what else) made in China by a company names Lusa Lighting, Inc. Tongue

Do any of the Busnuts have any experience with straight 120V halogen puck lights? Kiss

All the local lighting companies want to sell me low voltage halogen puck lights with expensive transformers or solid state power supply's.

Any info?

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:43:25 PM »

I bought my 12V halogen puck lights from Home Depot and ordered them as replacement lights without the power transformer.  Can't remember how much, but work great with the straight 12v batt power.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »

Bob you might wanna get with Ace, I remember (I think) he just went thru some trials and testing puck lights and don't remember what the final decision was (if it even got posted! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »

I got mine from outwater plactics.  They are 12V, 10W.  I have 30+ lights throughout the bus.  I just swapped the 20W bulbs for 10W bulbs.  Not much noticable difference in output, but big difference in battery life.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 07:42:34 PM »

What's wrong with low voltage puck lights?  Lowes...5 for $30 bucks.   Remove the transformer and use them with 12V.   They are all over my bus.  They are a little battery hungry, but most are controllable so when boonying...which is rare for us, just keep them off if not needed.   10 of them on at once uses about 8 amps @ 12V.
Be careful where you put these things...they get hot.  May burn anything near the protective lens. 
I'm waiting for the cheapo LED bulbs to replace the halogens.  They are around, but too expensive. 
Halogens are neat looking at night.    Roll Eyes as you're plugged in to a pole...like at Timmonsville, who cares how much power is used on extraneous mood lighting...at my age I need a lot of "mood' lighting!   Wink
Bob, don't get anything apart that you cannot get back together before Timmonsville...I'm looking to check out your coach and watch Jack saw a big hole in your entry door!   I'm gonna pull up a chair and offer advice.  I have a lot of advice to offer an anytling...everything.   Sex life suffering?  I'll tell you how to fix it!  Cheesy
Come on down here and I'll show you the way down there.   Feel free to stay for a while.  I'll be getting my rent-a-wreck ready to go. 
 Shocked Kiss :-*I did get the dish that took a crap hooked up today and everything works great.  Just got futzed and didn't follow through somewhere.   Gas gauage is working again perfectly thanks to Luke's prompt shipping.  Also have the turnsignals working.  Cannot replace a light in may rear systems.  You replace the whole light.  Cool enough. 
Well, recon we've covered lighting pretty well.   
What day do you wan to zip down there?  lI'm available on Wed or Thurs.  Take about 2 hours from here.   
Hmmm...I just removed some odd looking stuff from here???  Oh well. 
Best, JR
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:43:24 AM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »

Hi NcBob,

I've really been happy with the 12V puck lights - Not to hijack the thread of course as you are looking for 120V, but - even with the transformer I got 5 puck lights for $15 from Lowes ( I think - could have been Home Depot ) on clearance - so I bought a bunch.  Heat is a bit of an issue - at least at the front near the lens.  Kind of gets me worried with the lights mounted to the cabinets, but seems to be OK.  If I ever find a good price for the LEDs, I'll replace these halogens. 

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
mdainsd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:09:28 PM »

120v puck lights for under cabinent installations are available at Home Depot, l;ast time was 5 pac for twenty bucks.

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits" - Albert Einstein
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 05:22:41 AM »

"I'm looking to check out your coach and watch Jack saw a big hole in your entry door!   I'm gonna pull up a chair and offer advice.  I have a lot of advice to offer an anytling...everything. "

I charge more if I have someone "giving advice' LOL  No wait, If I cut that big hole in the wrong place, it is HIS fault!  Right JR?     
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:28:23 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »

"I charge more if I have someone "giving advice' LOL  No wait, If I cut that big hole in the wrong place, it is HIS fault!  Right JR?     

HA!  It'll definitely be Bob's problem!  Not to worry about charging extra for "advice"...Bob's good for it...and no problem if the hole is a little off...I'll bring some 100 MPH duct tape.   Wink
This is gonna be interesting!  I love to watch people work!  I'm storing up advice!  Roll Eyes
Cheerio, JR  Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »

Easy now guys....I'm bringing a Plasma Cutter and I trust Jack, almost as much as I trust my Surgeon....but for the record..I'm bringing the Glock 40 too...with the Laser sight...just in the event there's a dispute! Wink

Seriously, I wouldn't trust the door of my bus to anyone with less expertise than Jack Conrad...only because there isn't anyone else out there with more!  And if you should witness any money being exchanged between Jack and me...it's only because we have a bet on how many fits of anxiety we'll witness while he's doing what he's so good at doing. ; Huh

So, bring your lawn chairs and learn from the "Expert".

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
melkite

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 09:07:45 PM »

FYI -
Xenon bulbs are cooler in puck lites, and they may be a swap with the halogen.  Also there are LED replacements for G4 bulbs  and for MR16 halogens

sailorsams.com
lightingfx.com

choices, choices!  I wish we were at the stage to put in lighting.
Dave and Mel

Dave and Mel
PD4501-397
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: