Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 01:09:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injector Replacement Video....  (Read 1571 times)
zimtok

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »

I recently replaced my injectors. I decided to video the last one being replaced.

Here is that video.

Injector Replacement on Detroit Diesel 671

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »

Thanks, I got a kick out of that and watched it when you posted it on the BNO board.  I can't post on the BNO board, they won't let me join for some reason, but I did want to say thanks.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »

I enjoyed it too but why didn't you check the bridge clearance ,valves and run the rack you don't just stick injectors in a 2 stroke and forget it sorry if it sounds harsh but that is asking for trouble

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »

OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you!!!!
I have a thread going about my injectors and this was cool to see how it's done. I do realize that ONLY thru the wonders of "modern technology' it shows that it can be done in 11min. and 35sec.  Grin Grin  But rest assured, I'm not going to try it without "parental supervision".  Cheesy Cheesy It's just nice to see what is involved.

Thanx again!!! I really enjoyed it and appreciate your effort!
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Tim Strommen
Electronics Geek

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »

...why didn't you check the bridge clearance ,valves and run the rack...

Should have also installed new fuel crossover-pipes since you already have them out - nothing worse than having your bearings spun because an ancient fuel pipe cracked during removal/installation.

I'd like to see an instructional video (series? probably by Don F.) on how to in/out-of-frame overhaul an engine from beginning to end... not that I think he'd want to give away his "magic" Grin.

-T

Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go Smiley)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

Thank you soooo much for this video! It really helps me to understand better what is involved with changing the injectors. I wish there were more videos that showed the various jobs done on our coaches. Yes Don would be great to make videos as would some other people here. Awhile back someone did a radiator change and video taped it. This kind of stuff is soooo helpful and even if someone doesnt want to do the work themselves, it can help explain how much work is involved when they go to a shop to have it done. Thank you again!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »

That was awesome!! But I have to admit my first thought was the same as Cliffords. Did you run the rack after you finished?

That is a video I would pay money for!

Also, were you just replacing the injectors with the same size or were you upgrading. Obviously you have to run the rack after installing larger injectors.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »

I enjoyed it too but why didn't you check the bridge clearance ,valves and run the rack you don't just stick injectors in a 2 stroke and forget it sorry if it sounds harsh but that is asking for trouble

good luck

Just because you don't see it in the video doesn't mean I didn't do it....

This video is about the replacement of the injector and how I did that procedure. I replaced the N65 injectors with the same.
As seen in the video I did check the injector timing. (all were within spec and required no adjustment)

I did check the bridge and valve lash clearances. (all were within spec)
I did not "run the rack" but I did inspect the movement of the fuel modulating cam and the control tube and it was fine.
I did not feel it needed new crossover fuel lines. But I did make sure none were damaged/cracked while I had them removed and were not leaking before putting on the valve cover.

The video was edited so it would not be too long and be boring. It took longer then is perceived in the video.
I wish it only took 11 minutes per injector...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:17:11 AM by zimtok » Logged

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »

Although I am not a diesel mechanic by any way shape or form, I really appreciate when someone takes the time to show us how they did something. I hope that people can do more of this when it comes to bus conversion. It is one thing to read about doing something and quite another to actually see it done!

I think of all the help the gumpy pictures have provided. Perhaps we should get more of your seasoned experts to do more of this type of video.

I can see some real benefits for electrical,woodworking, plumbing and so forth.

Thanks again for all your effort!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: